Tune up races for London Half marathon

General chat and questions go here

Re: Tune up races for London Half marathon

Postby Tarka the Nutter » 17 Jan 2016 21:31

Sir Jibbenstein wrote:I'm entered in for the MK Half now. From what I remember it was actually a reasonable route, apart from a few bridges and the fact I set a 10k pb going out...

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I might enter too Jibby. I was planning on doing some 20 mile races like I have done in the past but don't think knee will be up to them, so thinking of the half race instead to get an idea of where I am. There are several MK halves and the routes are all slightly different but I've done a few there and they are all pretty flat.
Global Domination award winner 2012
(basically because I've lost the plot!)
Tarka the Nutter

Postby md6 » 18 Jan 2016 11:56

Tarka the Nutter wrote:
md6 wrote:I'm going to be doing Eastbourne half marathon as a warmup for London, its on the 6th March, reasonably similar course profile (i.e. not really any climbs to talk about - just a long drag for nearly a mile from 2 - 3) but could be windy being on the coast. I figure that I should be in a reasonably good place by then, I know what my target time is for London, and what I need to run to be on target for that. So we will see

It's harder than it looks. Christine and Ed did it a couple of years ago (I was meant to but screwed my knee doing a sportive the day before). Wind was evil that day and they take you so far up Beachy Head. You are also running along the sea front for a fair bit (i.e. not on the roads) and you have to dodge all the people just having a day out.

Unless they have changed the course...

https://connect.garmin.com/course/8913173 this is the route and profile from the website. mile 2 - 3.5 pretty much all up but turns short of beachy head. I imagine that ~350ft climbing over 1.5 miles isn't too bad - just long and dragging. Then its down and flat from there, didn't realise there would be people in the way...oh well they'll hear me coming! I'm going to train through anyway, so won't be looking at a pb I don't think - well you never know :lol:
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Tarka the Nutter » 19 Jan 2016 15:56

md6 wrote:
Tarka the Nutter wrote:
md6 wrote:I'm going to be doing Eastbourne half marathon as a warmup for London, its on the 6th March, reasonably similar course profile (i.e. not really any climbs to talk about - just a long drag for nearly a mile from 2 - 3) but could be windy being on the coast. I figure that I should be in a reasonably good place by then, I know what my target time is for London, and what I need to run to be on target for that. So we will see

It's harder than it looks. Christine and Ed did it a couple of years ago (I was meant to but screwed my knee doing a sportive the day before). Wind was evil that day and they take you so far up Beachy Head. You are also running along the sea front for a fair bit (i.e. not on the roads) and you have to dodge all the people just having a day out.

Unless they have changed the course...

https://connect.garmin.com/course/8913173 this is the route and profile from the website. mile 2 - 3.5 pretty much all up but turns short of beachy head. I imagine that ~350ft climbing over 1.5 miles isn't too bad - just long and dragging. Then its down and flat from there, didn't realise there would be people in the way...oh well they'll hear me coming! I'm going to train through anyway, so won't be looking at a pb I don't think - well you never know :lol:

Just going on what the others told me. I only stayed by the beach front and the race HQ. Couldn't go too far as knee hurt like hell. I just remember it being pretty windy and very cold :-)
Global Domination award winner 2012
(basically because I've lost the plot!)
Tarka the Nutter

Previous

Return to General Discussion