Postby Kevy427 » 01 Dec 2015 15:24

2015: Ride or run when I could. Fight the black dog

2016: Ride or run when I can. Continue fighting the black dog

Sent from my dungeon
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Re: How was your year? Objectives for 2016

Postby Jack Hughes » 01 Dec 2015 15:27

IanM wrote:2015: mixed bag. Excelled in some target areas, failed in others. Hopefully a variety of lessons learned

2016: be leaner, more powerful, and train & race smarter.

Less 10s? More 25s? More 50s? Some 100s? A 12 hour?

Sticking with the same team?

JH - sub hour in May should be on your list, especially if you can carry form over from HotW prep. And ris, you'd best pull your finger out and TT next year!

Possibly. Certainly more of a cycling theme. Still not sure to what extent I can do enough training to have a realistic chance of improving (rather than just buying more go faster kit).
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby CCS » 01 Dec 2015 18:14

Errr.... sure I wrote down some goals somewhere, but can't find them right now...

Overall, pleased with 2015 - even though I suspect I didn't achieve the specifics I might have set out (no PB at 10 - though I can now ride 25 miles faster than I can 10, so I will claim a moral victory there)... survived a 100 (though did have to get off part way round, and did also have a scare that I might be going blind en route.... a couple of lessons learned for next year about moisturiser selection, and some experimentation currently going on around long distance saddle choice).

For 2016:
- stop being such a lard arse - get back off the sugar and wine
- go faster (PBs at 10, 25, 50 & 100 please)
- improve BBAR placing
- try to go for the occasional run
- keep going to pilates

Really need to sit down and do some season planning once the handbook comes out - but currently not really sure what my primary objectives are (or what my best distance is, come to that). As ever, I am crap at setting specific objectives!
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby ris » 01 Dec 2015 18:59

ris wrote:2016?
stop being injured
do some sprints
do another oly
maybe do a middle
time trial? believe it when it happens

already signed up for bristol oly in june.
just got to fix the first bit and with any luck i'll have some fun there.
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby Bopomofo » 01 Dec 2015 19:00

And I was just pondering posting a "How the hell are you all?" thread over the weekend.

Looking back at my intended goals, I've had an astonishing year even by my own low standards:

2015 plans:
1. Lose weight (better diet, less booze) : FAIL
2. 10 and 25 TTs : FAIL
3. forget about a time target for OD, just turn up to a race in good shape and feeling I have prepared properly then see what happens : FAIL
4. do Swashbuckler again : FAIL
5. get a PB at Southampton HM : FAIL
6. do some parkruns... : FAIL

...but mainly I want to go back ten years and do some of the small local pool-based sprints that first made me love this sport. : FAIL

I'd like to say many of these are targets for next year but health problems mean that next year is rather up in the air.

Given that I can hardly run 5km at the moment I do not see London Marathon as a realistic prospect unless I really want to injure myself :cry:

2015 Excuses
1. I'm a fat, lazy, old boozer. Losing weight by improving diet (both solid and liquid) is ENTIRELY within my control and WILL be addressed. I have some stuff in place for the coming weeks that will hopefully help here.
2. TT's... well... I did some pretty hefty procrastinating and eventually convinced myself that a fat "all the kit, full of sh*t" idiot would just be the subject of derision so didn't bother.
3. Doing an OD with adequate preparation and just seeing what happens: there's no way I have been fit enough or prepared enough this year. And to be honest the prospect of an OD terrifies me... my swimming is so shit it scares me.
4. Swashbuckler.... Ha ha ha ha... not a hope. Nor next year, which cuts me up a bit as I still think I can do a sub-5:30 on that course (but I don't want to die trying).
5. Southampton HM: can't remember, think I may have been injured or more likely just fat and unfit and making excuses
6. Parkrun: No idea why I've been talking about this for years yet have still never done one. Other than it being a Saturday morning.

From this, let's put some targets for next year:

0. Get health problems sorted. Specifically, get the heart issue diagnosed & fixed and a health/recovery plan in place by the end of the year. This is entirely feasible, thanks to private medical.
0.1 Lose weight by improving diet (Better food, no booze) and getting some exercise done.

Bonus targets:
Parkruns, long sportives, TTs, maybe a late season OD, some sprint races, catching up with some of the massive.

As above, I think London Marathon is not going to happen now, although opinions are welcome. But mainly it is about goal zero and see how I go.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby ris » 01 Dec 2015 21:45

Bopomofo wrote:some sprint races, catching up with some of the massive.

trying to persuade tritans to come over and do royal wootton bassett sprint. mid may.
common-garden local pool sprint.
it'd be great to see you.
club champ 2015
ris

Postby Bopomofo » 02 Dec 2015 00:15

ris wrote:
Bopomofo wrote:some sprint races, catching up with some of the massive.

trying to persuade tritans to come over and do royal wootton bassett sprint. mid may.
common-garden local pool sprint.
it'd be great to see you.

+/- my comment about the future being uncertain... if it goes towards + then that's a date. I'll be the bloke with the flowers on my tri-suit. ;)
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby ris » 02 Dec 2015 15:12

all those things depending, i hope you can make it. if you fancy a pointless drive to hurl abuse at me and/or tritans then you are welcome to do that as well :lol:
club champ 2015
ris

Postby IanM » 02 Dec 2015 15:54

Jack Hughes wrote:
IanM wrote:2015: mixed bag. Excelled in some target areas, failed in others. Hopefully a variety of lessons learned

2016: be leaner, more powerful, and train & race smarter.

Less 10s? More 25s? More 50s? Some 100s? A 12 hour?

Sticking with the same team?

Yep, still with Born to Bike RT. Team award night is next weekend, looking forward to catching up with team mates (@CCS, hope you're able to make it?)

Focus next year is on 25s, but with as many fast 10s as possible around that - potentially going to enter the midweek Hull league. 1-2 50s, and a slight possibility of a 100 depending on how training and goals go. Definitely not a 12 hr next year, but one for the future.

If I do a National next year, it'll be the 25. TTT is same weekend as Tour of Cambridge which I've already entered (Chrono, not the sportive). 50 is in Devon, which is too far away, and I'm away for the 10. Qualifying for the National HC is a stretch target.

Tentatively doing the Duo Normand with Steve.
IanM

Postby CCS » 02 Dec 2015 17:28

IanM wrote:(@CCS, hope you're able to make it?)

Indeed - bringing the bike up too; staying over at Cat's; and hopefully out for group ride from the shop on Sunday - you doing that bit too?
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion