How was your year? Objectives for 2016

General chat and questions go here

Re: How was your year? Objectives for 2016

Postby Tarka the Nutter » 27 Dec 2015 18:53

After all my knee issues in 2014 I wondered if my days in tri were over so tried to think of something else to do. Someone mentioned isoman and I saw there was a 7 mile swim option. After much debating i decided to focus on improving my swimming and do some open water swimming events instead. Although I never quite gave up and ended up entering the full isoman and the half in Poland anyway. I could always change event/drop down after all.

Swim training went pretty well and although i wasn't doing large distances in training I was swimming consistently 3-4 times a week. I did 3 x 5km and a tidally assisted 6km in prep for isoman. Nowhere near the 7 mile distance, but I really enjoyed the events, despite being at the back in most of them. I did virtually no bike or run training and yet somehow managed to complete Poland half about 15 mins quicker than the year before (although weirdly my swim was virtually the same time). I also somehow dragged my arse around isoman and became one of only 30 people I think to do it (about 20 dropped out during the race). It was slow and it was as painful as hell, but I'd done it.

So next year. I never expected a marathon place, and it really messes with my plans, but I want to do it while i still live near the start. A PB would be amazing, but I am being realistic. I'm not in the shape I was in 2011/2012. I've entered the half again in Poland. I dallied with the idea of trying to get as close to the top 3 girls in my age group as possible, but I'm not sure my training is going well enough for that. I'm doing a 24hr run race with Stu in June and I'd already entered to do isoman again (think I will drop down to the half though). All the events I want to do are within a 2 month or so period. And then if I'm still alive and not broken by September I have the Vit. It would be fantastic to go sub 6 and beat my time from 2011, but we'll see.

I have the boy Weeks training me though and he's good, so who knows. if I can train consistently enough and get the decent training in I may just surprise myself :-)
Global Domination award winner 2012
(basically because I've lost the plot!)
Tarka the Nutter

Postby Jimba » 30 Dec 2015 19:43

So, 2015….good year for me. Unbroken and healthy (for someone as old as me!).

I had no specific objectives for the year other than a solid consistent year and remaining unbroken.

Question for all on here, is the balance of my training right, given that I want to do more middles next year.

2011-2014 average distances each year: Swim 32k, Bike 3577k, Run 501k Total ave hours 202.
2015 : Swim 6k, Bike 2859k, Run 2157k. Total hours 331.

I have a feeling I need to do more swimming and biking!!!!!!!

Good things about the year, running obviously, nearly 6k a day average and a half marathon PB of 1.32. Decent tri performances, but not stellar. Big increase in training volume and weight slightly down on the year (good job I burnt 200,000 calories otherwise I would be the size of a house.)
Bad things – swimming, I get so many sinus/snot issues I have practically given up. Biking, dropped off dramatically (500k in last 6 months only) just fell out of love.

Next year…….some things are fixed.
Sub1.30hm.
In terms of volume, aiming for 2500k running and 4000k biking.
Thinking about more middles, none in last 2 years, but is my best distance.......sub5?
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby SickBoy » 31 Dec 2015 21:49

I have an objective now! There's a new ITU race in Montréal vieux port next year and I'm signed up. Will be cool to race the same course as the elite athletes and get to watch too. I hope it's good!

Globally dominating Canada
SickBoy

Postby Moff » 02 Jan 2016 23:30

I'd like to actually complete the Oly in Poland this year, do at least one half marathon and a handful of sportives. I plan to achieve this through a blend of consistent training and not eating shit. Away from SBR, I'd like to do some sport climbing and boulder at a V4 level.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk
Bopomofo wrote:They've literally like seen him on telly, all on the news and that and then like come to see me and are all like "Here, you're into triaflon and ting, what about this nob?"
Moff

Previous

Return to General Discussion