Swimming, it's not all about the bike

General chat and questions go here

Swimming, it's not all about the bike

Postby jonathon.e » 04 Nov 2015 20:19

Having spent an inordinate amount of time in the pool lately (upto 10km), at one point, it allows time to think, so a few questions, but first a link to a brief article from the Daily Torygraph, somebody somewhere is doing research on something, whilst someone else will try to debunk it. Physics and fluid dynamics are well above my pay grade anyway.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science ... yfish.html

1. So creating a pressure difference makes you faster, utilising something similar to an aircraft wing, but the low pressure being beneath rather than above ( reversed ). Will altering your body shape or some wise desiegner at speedo may construct a corset like suit to create this differential, make that much difference ?

2. Does it really make that much difference if you only breathe on one side, as Sutton said, " a tennis players arm doesn't fall off if he doesn't use it "

3. If you break swimming down to just a swimmer and their standard costume ( none hitec, hydrophobic nonsense ), of the three Tri disciplines it is the most technical, so how much emphasis do you put on use tech to make you swim faster. 1500m in the pool compared to 1500m in OW in a techy wetsuit what is your difference.

4. For those that do long distance swimming, OW distances greater than IM (2.4 miles), what do you consider it is acceptable to use. Bearing in mind not all wetsuits are the same, the ones with catch pads, increased sectional buoyancy give greater benefit than those of a constant thickness, gloves ( webbed or not ), neoprene swimming socks, neoprene hat , waterproof MP3 player. So for a challenge swim what do you consider is acceptable and what isn't ?
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Re: Swimming, it's not all about the bike

Postby Kevy427 » 04 Nov 2015 21:37

jonathan.e wrote:So for a challenge swim what do you consider is acceptable and what isn't ?

Swimming across The Solent. Busy shipping lane with the Rotal Navy driving their boats in and out, cross-Channel ferries, IoW ferries, hovercrafts, experimental things from the local boat builders, the occasional flock of RM Commando's in RIB's, twats with jumpers draped over their shoulders attempting to drive their yacht to the IoW without spilling their champagne, and not forgetting the residents of The Southern Riviera trying to find somewhere to park their gin palace's
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby ris » 05 Nov 2015 10:46

1. my recollection is that the fina bans on buoyant swimskins in the last decade were about this 'technical doping' - the suits provided buoyancy (specifically trapped air and had buoyant panels on the back), used hydrophobic material to decrease resistance, and also shaped the body to improve hydro-dynamics. it probably does make a difference, as reducing resistance (frontal area etc) will make the effect of any propulsion/power more effective. trade off between forthcoming blueseventy corset technology and bio-engineering bigger hands and feet.

2. i personally believe that being capable of breathing on both sides is the most important thing as it improves balance in the stroke. most amateur / average swimmers don't have a great technique when they breathe and loading one side more is probably likely to become exacerbated. not sure sutton's quote is that relevant - the tennis players arm may not fall off, but i would wonder how may tennis players have biomechanics issues through overuse of their dominant serving arm. the nature of the two disciplines is totally different, as well.
what i would say is that breathing 3/5 all the time isn't necessarily the goal. breathe 2/4 if it works for you, but probably be capable of breathing 2/4 on both sides. if you can only breathe on your left then i can guarantee (note guarantees not actual) that you will be in a miserable place on a sea swim...

3. i think my times are about comparable... best 1500m pool time this year was 23:40 and my cardiff oly time was 22:50. too many variables in open water swimming to make it a direct comparison - distance, wobbly stroke, piss poor sighting. and that is just in the pool. i did an 11:20 750m as well, which feels a bit quick. perhaps my suit made a difference there.

4. i don't really have a view on 'acceptable'. in a purist world i'd say smuggle, hat and goggles, but i couldn't swim that long as i have little body fat. when you are swimming that long i think you need to find a way to get to the end and enjoy it along the way. i can't imagine using mp3 players as i like the peace of swimming, i also can't imagine using gloves or paddles as they would eventually jigger my shoulders up. ymmv.

i'll let the race refs and organisers set the rules for the competitive element, i'm just happy to swim and see other people enjoy their swim.
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby flavadave » 05 Nov 2015 11:21

In the interest of political balance, here's the link to the story in the Gruaniad.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... than-crawl
flavadave

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby ris » 05 Nov 2015 12:15

from your extensive experience how does the eel-wriggle affect marine vehicle interaction, dave?
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby Jack Hughes » 05 Nov 2015 12:42

If got "challenge" and "swimming". But after that it all goes blurry.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby flavadave » 05 Nov 2015 13:44

ris wrote:from your extensive experience how does the eel-wriggle affect marine vehicle interaction, dave?

Good question Ris. Well, from experience the use of front crawl resulted in my right (or was it left) hand/arm taking the brunt of the impact. One would imagine that the Eel technique would involve a frontal bonce impact.

Therefore, I would advise the use of a crash helmet for all outdoor eel swimming.
flavadave

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Tritans » 06 Nov 2015 22:46

I don't know about all that. But bizarrely, having loathed it for years I now love pool swimming.

This year will see the most swimming since records bagan.

HTH
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

Postby IanM » 06 Nov 2015 23:20

Pool swimming and running? Who are you and what have you done with Ade?
IanM

Postby jonathon.e » 07 Nov 2015 10:55

IanM wrote:Pool swimming and running? Who are you and what have you done with Ade?

Apparently he has a Saturday job in the Royal County selling Audi's now too.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Return to General Discussion