Memories of the first race you did (modern era)

General chat and questions go here

Re: Memories of the first race you did (modern era)

Postby ris » 10 Oct 2015 17:22

i'm not entirely where the triathlon thing came from, probably saw thing somewhere and it lodged there.

always been shit at sports (my form tutor and sports teacher once said i was enthusiastic but wildly uncoordinated, and i firmly believe she thought that was a compliment!) and weighed 9st 5lb until i into my mid-20s. i joined the rugby club at uni and my most appropriate position was 'flag post'. i like sports though, and despite being scrawny and crap i would always give stuff a go. after i finished my second degree i was playing 5-a-side a few times a week - crap, but enthusiastically.

my first full time job after uni happened to be next to a swimming pool so i joined it and went to the gym two or three times a week. there was a barely used pool so i started using that, too, and taught myself to swim 'properly', or some approximation. i was 25 then, i think.

when i started my current job about 6months later there were lots of runners and cyclists about and i guess i started thinking i could do that. i swam twice a week and played 5-a-side a couple of times. regularly i would double or triple-up - play 5-a-side for an hour, drive across town, play again, then head to the pool. by then i could swim 3k an hour and had received some rudimentary coaching.

when i was 29 i trained for a half-mara (having never run properly before) and got ill before the race so didn't do it. the office signed up to the cyclescheme and i decided to buy a folding bike. we'd moved so i didn't play as much footy, and the best pool to swim in was 6miles away. i started cycling there, rather than driving, and the running joke became that i should run home and then i'd be doing a triathlon. i wasn't 9st anymore, but maybe 11st 7. gym and swim had given me shoulders.

through the cycle scheme, and my trusty airnimal, i discovered that i quite enjoyed cycling, and fancied buying a 'proper' bike to commute directly to work on. about a month after i got it i was looking for triathlons online, and found one in highworth, about 20 miles away.

i had to fill in a form and send the cheque for £25 in the post. i remember ringing the organiser to ask if there were still spaces and him being a bit surprised i'd bothered. it was only a couple of weeks away. i remember having the most idiotic worries, particularly about nutrition - would 2 bottles of water be enough for a sprint? what about food, what should i eat? ah, the naiivity... :lol:

i'm not sure i tried a brick training session, or anything like it. i wasn't running a huge amount back then so probably popped out for a few 3-4 mile scuttles. i had clippy shoes, but not tri ones, and so had practiced leaving them on and trying to slot my feet in - which wasn't very well. i bought some very cheap 90s warehouse fire sale tri kit. it was cheap for a reason - one of the bits of kit was what i thought was an orange and blue running vest, which turned out to be a crop top. my other half was nearly apoplectic with laughter and made me swear i'd never ever ever wear it in public. :oops:

i got a really early start because i'd guessed my 400m swim time as 15mins, so got the second wave (8:20am?) and so was in highworth at some hideous time in the morning. i like a wait around, ideally for 90mins or so :D little village hall, lots of cake, getting marked up, being given a chip. i was racking with the first few and it was really nice, a gentle atmosphere without egos or anyone looking at my stuff and tutting (i'd left the crop top at home :P ). the other bikes were like mine - entry level road bikes, or shoppers, or mtbs, or aging racers. i met a big-ish rugby lad with a bleached barnet and a predilection for pink who'd come over from the windsor area. everyone was supportive, cheerful and very non-judgemental. for someone who had often been made to feel like i was an 'extra' in sports this meant a lot.

the race is really a blur. i remember lapping the others in my lane and being first or second out of the pool. i had an elaborate set of kit with race numbers pre-pinned to get over the lack of race belt and my being embarrassed by my hideous 90s patterned £5 tri shorts. i remember having some fruit bar / stick things (never eaten one before), eating about half of one on the bike and instantly regretting it. it was a lovely, crisp, september morning with a low, warm sun and i was on my own for a lot of the bike.

i also remember the fruit bar repeating on my during the run and feeling rather sick. the run was hard, lots of grass and trail and i found it really tough. there were lots of incredibly supportive marshalls there and i think they'd been given people's race numbers because they cheered you on by name.

most of all i remember how happy i felt when i finished. not just in a 'thank bollocks that was over' way, but also in a 'that was a lot of fun' way. there seemed to be a lot of camaraderie and good humour. i've still got the finishing line race photo from highworth, 2008, and i look really content.

i finished in 1:23, about 65th or something. i didn't really care, i had just a brilliant time and couldn't wait to do it again. the only shame was it was one of the last races of the season and i had to wait until june to do another!
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby flavadave » 12 Oct 2015 11:37

First ever tri was Eton Supersprint in 2009. I'd signed up for the London sprint taking place in August 09, but from the time of sign up I was itching to cut my triathlon teeth, so Eton would be my first.

I'd always been an unethusiastic runner, a below average swimmer (although I thought I was much better at the time), and cycling was never more than a 5km commute on my hybrid. I'd been receiving lots of encouragement from a load of numpties on a forum for an old magazine called 220, so a few hasty purchases later, including a bike that was too small (still miss you though Red Ken) and a strange baby grow type outfit that everyone insisted on wearing even though only 1% of competitors actually look good in them.

Come the day I was nervous as hell. More nervous than a 70's childrens tv presenter getting a knock on his door at 5am.

I drank way too much coffee and redbull. Long story short, I had my wetsuit on up to my waist waiting for the off (as did everyone else), and only realised it was on backwards just before the off. Cue a panic attack wrestling off my wetsuit and back on again, a sprint into the water and a 400m swim of hyperventilating breastroke, interspersed with a ladies 'side-stroke'.

Bike and run were equally calamitous, but strangely enjoyed it all. Oh, and I forgot my wetsuit when I drove home.

Yeesh.
flavadave

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby birdyman » 13 Oct 2015 16:18

After some encouragement had dropped from 18 stone to 14 stone in the gym, and some people at work had encouraged me to sign up for a Eton supersprint in May 2009, and I decided to do the Tonbridge Tri a few weeks before as it was local, so I'd be better prepped, and at the time Eton seemed like a big and scary event.

I remember from Tonbridge that the kit which was speedos, then t shirt and shorts over wet trunks, and a Halfords "Cafe Z" hybrid which weighed as much as a small truck. I had taken the bike into the LBS the week before and asked what I could do to it to prep it for a tri, and had been mildly offended when they said that all I could do was to pump the tyres up, and if I liked tri then I could save up for a new bike.

At the event I breast stroked the swim, pottered on the bike, and as I was about 100 m from the dismount, found that my laces on my right trainer had become entangled in the crank, meaning that I could neither turn the crank to keep going, nor get my foot off the pedal as it was firmly tied on. I glided majestically to a halt and fell over. The marshals were kind enough not to laugh and I remounted and carried on. Happy days. It's been all downhill since then.
birdyman

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby King Sad » 13 Oct 2015 21:06

I am a completely unsporty person. No interest in it. I am aware now that there has been a rugby tournament going on.

The last time I had been in a race was when I was 16 at school sports day.

I had heard of triathlons vaguely, they were all Ironmen races right? No idea what an Ironman was other than some sort of race where people collapse a lot and crawl to the line.

2006, around my 49th birthday and suddenly there is a poster at my gym, Lincoln Burton Waters, advertising the first tri hosted there, 400m pool swim, 22km bike, 5k run. Looked at the distances, thought 'I could do that' on the basis of 2 spin sessions and a gentle swim and an occasional gentle treadmill.

I remember it was a fantastic sunny day. Registered, number written on my leg - whoa, hardcore.

The rest was rather embarrassing :oops:

Swim: 15.17 incl T1. Well after I towelled myself dry, applied powder, sun screen, had a drink ....
257 out of 276

Bike: Off on my £60 steel Halfords MTB with knobbly tyres, fell off my bike coming into T2 scraped my arm, leg and gave my ribs a good bashing
1.01.48 pos 253

Run: By this time I was buggered. Embarrassing, slow
31.24 pos 232

Overall 1/48.29 pos 254

Absolute rubbish
Absolutely loved it :D

The next year, embarked on my first season, joined the 220 forum with Bopo and the others ...

Still loving it, now working on my plans not only for 2016 but 2017 and my 60th birthday :D
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby Bopomofo » 13 Oct 2015 22:39

King Sad wrote: The rest was rather embarrassing :oops:

Ah, that. Yep. Still a good laugh though. :lol:
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby didds » 09 Nov 2015 13:58

flavadave wrote: I'd been receiving lots of encouragement from a load of numpties on a forum for an old magazine called 220,.

does that magazine exist any longer?

Or the forum? UPDATE: ah, yes it does. though I can;t log in because the site errors! LOL

didds
didds

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Moff » 09 Nov 2015 17:43

It was 2008 and I was 18 months into an apprenticeship I hated, so I decided to join the Air Force. I failed the medical due to my weight and blood pressure so I hit the gym and started running and lost four stones. Then I bought a bike and started swimming and thought "I wonder if there's some way to combine the three?" My first race was Mansfield Sprint in April 2009 and christ it was cold.
Bopomofo wrote:They've literally like seen him on telly, all on the news and that and then like come to see me and are all like "Here, you're into triaflon and ting, what about this nob?"
Moff

Postby Seasider71 » 10 Nov 2015 13:42

How weird is that Moff....

Mansfield was my first Tri too. I have just looked through the results and Gavin Hodgson (Nivag) was also in the event, although he finished slightly higher up the table...lol

And you came 9th in your AG.
Striving for glory.....and failing magnificently.
MAY - Enduroman Double
Seasider71

Postby King Sad » 10 Nov 2015 21:22

I did the 2009 Mansfield as well :D

Came lowly 11th out of 22 in AG :( in 1.04.25

I remember with Mansfiled the pool exit was at the deep end :lol: and loads kept falling in trying to exit (me :lol: included) ... think I also got a massive kick to the face as well by a breast stroker :(
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad

Postby Seasider71 » 11 Nov 2015 09:14

Ha, yes I remember that, and also being a Victorian pool, the sides were extremely high, and the water was like swimming in the Irish sea due to the amount of mud from peoples feet walking to the pool.

I came 29th out of 49 in a time of 1hr 1min 29sec. I lost a shoe down the bike in chute, and had to go back for it, I then set off on the run with my helmet on, so had to turn round and take it back :lol: :lol: :lol:

I also remember the run was about 800m short too, a bit like a few of the OSB sprint events.
Striving for glory.....and failing magnificently.
MAY - Enduroman Double
Seasider71

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion