Memories of the first race you did (modern era)

General chat and questions go here

Re: Memories of the first race you did (modern era)

Postby Two-Stroke Tart » 13 Nov 2015 15:28

Six years ago I got the crap beaten out of me in town and shortly afterwards my father-in-law passed away, 3 months after being diagnosed with cancer. This made me think that life was short and I should get off my butt and do stuff instead of thinking I'd do stuff 'one day' and then never doing it. After seeing an ad a few months later in a magazine for Dorney Lake ladies only triathlon I signed up for it. Well, I'd done a couple of 5ks over the previous four years, what could go wrong?! Unlike most of you I hadn't really done any sport at school, unless it was compulsory, or since I'd left, apart from entering a Race for Life about 10 years ago because the rest of the ladies at the place I was working at the time had entered and I didn't want to look bad for not entering. :P My aunt gave me her old sit up and beg style bike to do it on, I managed re-learn to swim enough lengths of the pool breast-stroke style to do the distance, and I started running again to get up to 5k distance. Was second from last out of the swim and finished in 1:02, last in my age group and overtaken by loads of the 20-30 year olds in the wave after me. But I finished the bloody thing and I reckon it's one of my proudest medals :-D
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Proud to be the official club gym bunny
Two-Stroke Tart

Postby Moff » 13 Nov 2015 23:36

Seasider71 wrote:Ha, yes I remember that, and also being a Victorian pool, the sides were extremely high, and the water was like swimming in the Irish sea due to the amount of mud from peoples feet walking to the pool.

I came 29th out of 49 in a time of 1hr 1min 29sec. I lost a shoe down the bike in chute, and had to go back for it, I then set off on the run with my helmet on, so had to turn round and take it back :lol: :lol: :lol:

I also remember the run was about 800m short too, a bit like a few of the OSB sprint events.

YOU were the one who ran-off wearing the helmet!?! I had a massive ego boost that morning after seeing my ex-girlfriend had gained a lot of weight. I still sucked.
Bopomofo wrote:They've literally like seen him on telly, all on the news and that and then like come to see me and are all like "Here, you're into triaflon and ting, what about this nob?"
Moff

Postby Seasider71 » 16 Nov 2015 09:50

No, I had a black helmet luckily I realised my mistake just as I crossed the timing mat, I saw the guy with the blue helmet, and he did the full run wearing it.
Striving for glory.....and failing magnificently.
MAY - Enduroman Double
Seasider71

Blog: View Blog (1)

Previous

Return to General Discussion