You aren't capable of doing another ironman...

General chat and questions go here

Re: You aren't capable of doing another ironman...

Postby Tarka the Nutter » 20 Jul 2015 21:30

ha ha ha ha ha ha. Oh dear. What has she done...
Global Domination award winner 2012
(basically because I've lost the plot!)
Tarka the Nutter

Postby md6 » 21 Jul 2015 08:13

Scibby, to be fair I have put on a few pounds, but have started to lose it again now we have means of cooking (a bbq) so there's less takeaways. But shes not a tv person, and if she wants expensive things she earns enough to get them - and besides I bought her some Louboutin's as a 'we're moving house' present so that can't be it.

I'm leaning towards answer a...but she really hasn't thought through what will happen by telling me that

Hi. My name's mark and i'm an ironman addict. It is 2 years since my last ironman
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby scibby » 21 Jul 2015 08:48

Hahaha....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
15/06. Windsor Sprint
2-7/07. Les Stables
03/08. Guildford Sportive. 100km
06/09. Sundowner Sprint. Needs BAT approval
28/09. Hever Olympic
12/10. Malta Champs? Needs BAT approval.
scibby

Postby andyb99 » 22 Jul 2015 06:48

This is a totally pointless discussion mate.....you've already decided.
andyb99
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby birdyman » 22 Jul 2015 10:25

I agree with Andy. You are just trying to talk yourself into it. Or something.

I was in Zurich for the last couple of days for work - when I arrived on Monday pm the whole place was teeming with whippet like folks who had done the race on Sunday. Everyone looked happy and fit and chilled. I bumbled about in my f***ing suit sweating in the heat and feeling fat and unhappy with myself. Chatted with some Brits who, it turned out, live about 5 miles from me who gave me a run down of the race. I really really want to do another LD event next year. The Bastion is a) close to home so it will minimize disruption at home (on the day anyway, let's not mention the hours and hours of training), and b) i can train on the course which means that the 3000m of climbing will not seem so bad. Ahem.

Problem is; i look at my stats on Endo from 2013 and am terrified by the volume of training time that I was putting in. I seem to be pathetically addicted to eating biscuits on the sly at home - mainly cos I starving much of the time so am trapped in a self loathing thing and getting f***ing fatter by the day. (I seem to be wandering off-thread: I apologise).

But I also want to do an Ironman branded event. There were only about 50 people at the Bastion this year so I suspect that it will lack a certain I-don't-know-what in the vibe.

You are totally capable of doing another Ironman (injuries notwithstanding). You can laugh at my efforts at the Gauntlet in September and then sign up for something in 2016.
birdyman

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby md6 » 22 Jul 2015 11:16

You're both right, of course. I am looking for validation of the intention to do another. I got told lots of reasons why I shouldn't do it, and then how I wouldn't be capable which, frankly, f**ked me right off. I know that I am currently 7kgs over my 'race' weight and unfit compared to previous years. Ive been broken for a fair while and like you guy, eat a shedload of biscuits. that's only going to end in one way.

So, the problem I had is that I was happy with the idea of doing a few half IM a year for a bit then in a few years when work is more settled and the house is sorted then do another one. I don't like the fact that I would barely see the gf for months while training etc and it in general seemed to be a bit too much to take on. I couldn't give my last one the training it required because in the 6 month lead up, I was studying for my degree, moving house, working and trying to have a social life. none of those things really got the level of attention and effort they required. I'm no longer studying which frees up a lot of time in the week (around 9 hours + per week) which would be half my training time give or take, and have (again) moved house so won't need to do that again in a hurry. So I 'have' the time, its just how I want to use that extra time. I wasn't sure, but now i'm pissed off about the negative and condescending attitude I got, it really makes me want to say f-you, I will do one*. But is spite a reason to do an IM?

I'll take some more time to think about it, and will see how I feel when I calm down and have got back into regular training.

See you at the gauntlet which I will be going for, I was considering the OD instead but now I feel I need to prove a point as to what my body can take

*I am aware that part of that might be because i'm worried she may be right that my body can't take it
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Bendy Ben » 22 Jul 2015 13:00

Wait till you have kid(s)

You've got it easy lol
Bendy Ben

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Big_Show » 22 Jul 2015 13:49

md6 wrote:You're both right, of course. I am looking for validation of the intention to do another. I got told lots of reasons why I shouldn't do it, and then how I wouldn't be capable which, frankly, f**ked me right off. I know that I am currently 7kgs over my 'race' weight and unfit compared to previous years. Ive been broken for a fair while and like you guy, eat a shedload of biscuits. that's only going to end in one way.

So, the problem I had is that I was happy with the idea of doing a few half IM a year for a bit then in a few years when work is more settled and the house is sorted then do another one. I don't like the fact that I would barely see the gf for months while training etc and it in general seemed to be a bit too much to take on. I couldn't give my last one the training it required because in the 6 month lead up, I was studying for my degree, moving house, working and trying to have a social life. none of those things really got the level of attention and effort they required. I'm no longer studying which frees up a lot of time in the week (around 9 hours + per week) which would be half my training time give or take, and have (again) moved house so won't need to do that again in a hurry. So I 'have' the time, its just how I want to use that extra time. I wasn't sure, but now i'm pissed off about the negative and condescending attitude I got, it really makes me want to say f-you, I will do one*. But is spite a reason to do an IM?

I'll take some more time to think about it, and will see how I feel when I calm down and have got back into regular training.

See you at the gauntlet which I will be going for, I was considering the OD instead but now I feel I need to prove a point as to what my body can take

*I am aware that part of that might be because i'm worried she may be right that my body can't take it

That's what I've been thinking - when I trained for an LD race I basically did nothing else for six months. I genuinely have no idea how someone with a partner and/or family manages to get permission, let alone fit it all in...

Sent from my GT-S7582 using Tapatalk
Big_Show

Postby Tarka the Nutter » 22 Jul 2015 15:21

md6 wrote:You're both right, of course. I am looking for validation of the intention to do another. I got told lots of reasons why I shouldn't do it, and then how I wouldn't be capable which, frankly, f**ked me right off. I know that I am currently 7kgs over my 'race' weight and unfit compared to previous years. Ive been broken for a fair while and like you guy, eat a shedload of biscuits. that's only going to end in one way.

Aren't you entered into the half and currently broken? or do you mean next September?

Come and do Isoman. It's a whole different type of challenge.
Global Domination award winner 2012
(basically because I've lost the plot!)
Tarka the Nutter

Postby birdyman » 22 Jul 2015 16:30

Just had a look at the Isoman site. Swim 7 miles??????????!!!!!!!!!!!
birdyman

Blog: View Blog (7)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion