Marathon Training

General chat and questions go here

Re: Marathon Training

Postby Jack Hughes » 04 Sep 2015 11:12

Ihavenonickname wrote:To be honest jack, I'm not sure I trust the data from that run. When I added it to strava it added a couple of km, which if I manually put the route online seems right, but the pace just seems a bit quick. It is also quicker than a run I did last week which was on a canal tow path (17.1 @ 4:51/km vs 18.4 @ 5:09/km)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

05:09/km for 16.1 km is 01:22:55 - so still 01h:23m for 10 miles. Which, assume a bit more endurance/resilience (I you can keep going at a commensurate speed for 4 hours) still puts you on a sub 4 hour marathon. So you have the speed, just need some stamina/resilience. So if you can get a 2+ hour run, and a 3+ hour run (a month to go? pushing it, but might be possible) then you stand a chance. Pace it for 4 and see what happens. Work on eating and drinking too on the long runs. Lots of shorter runs on a daily basis, or even 2 a day if you can manage that without breaking (e.g. 10k morning, 10k evening). or 5k morning, 5k evening, is a great way of building resilience while minimising injury potential. All done at a steady pace - no intervals etc.

It really depends on how the terrain for your 18km compares with the terrain of the marathon. If the marathon is "easier" then that will buy you a free 10 minutes. harder, it's work the other way (extra 20 mins).

Not saying it will be easy, but just a 4 hours is still a potential. 4:30 should be easy :D
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Ihavenonickname » 08 Sep 2015 14:59

Jack Hughes wrote:
Ihavenonickname wrote:To be honest jack, I'm not sure I trust the data from that run. When I added it to strava it added a couple of km, which if I manually put the route online seems right, but the pace just seems a bit quick. It is also quicker than a run I did last week which was on a canal tow path (17.1 @ 4:51/km vs 18.4 @ 5:09/km)

05:09/km for 16.1 km is 01:22:55 - so still 01h:23m for 10 miles. Which, assume a bit more endurance/resilience (I you can keep going at a commensurate speed for 4 hours) still puts you on a sub 4 hour marathon. So you have the speed, just need some stamina/resilience. So if you can get a 2+ hour run, and a 3+ hour run (a month to go? pushing it, but might be possible) then you stand a chance. Pace it for 4 and see what happens. Work on eating and drinking too on the long runs. Lots of shorter runs on a daily basis, or even 2 a day if you can manage that without breaking (e.g. 10k morning, 10k evening). or 5k morning, 5k evening, is a great way of building resilience while minimising injury potential. All done at a steady pace - no intervals etc.

It really depends on how the terrain for your 18km compares with the terrain of the marathon. If the marathon is "easier" then that will buy you a free 10 minutes. harder, it's work the other way (extra 20 mins).

Not saying it will be easy, but just a 4 hours is still a potential. 4:30 should be easy :D

The 18km run was pan flat, where as the marathon is quite hilly. I ran 25km over hillier terrain (about 300m climbing, marathon is 576m) at the weekend and averaged 5.28/km, with the hills back loaded for extra fun, so sub 4 is still potentially on the cards. I did fade towards the end, but it was my biggest week yet so hoping that played a part.
Cycling 248 miles, in 24 hours, from Plymouth to Pontardulais
bontride.wordpress.com
Ihavenonickname

Postby Ihavenonickname » 08 Sep 2015 22:01

gingertri wrote:Haha you got out then! If it works for you then yes! My compressport full legs are designed by Ann summers I'm sure!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I took your advice and got myself some compression stuff. Given my wife's reaction, however, I can confirm mine are NOT designed by Ann Summers

bontride.wordpress.com
Ihavenonickname

Postby Bopomofo » 08 Sep 2015 22:40

Remember your rest weeks, buddy. You look to be increasing your volume very quickly.

In similar circumstances a few years back I managed to focus all my endurance S-B-R abilities into running progressively longer distances in training for a February XC Marathon... and got a stress fracture as a result. Consultant/Sports Doc looked at my training volume and said I'd got it perfect APART FROM taking an easy week after every 3 weeks of increasing volume.

This also means a marathon is still on my bucket list, so good luck to you in your training and you'll get to that start line in the shape you need to achieve your goal. 8-)
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Kevy427 » 08 Sep 2015 23:04

Bopomofo wrote:This also means a marathon is still on my bucket list

Easily rectified by simply doing your November half Marathon after you've done October's...immediately after ;)
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby Bopomofo » 08 Sep 2015 23:10

Kevy427 wrote:
Bopomofo wrote:This also means a marathon is still on my bucket list

Easily rectified by simply doing your November half Marathon after you've done October's...immediately after ;)

Clever boy... you have correctly anticipated the date of my first andyb HM. :oops:
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Postby Ihavenonickname » 09 Sep 2015 12:27

Bopomofo wrote:Remember your rest weeks, buddy. You look to be increasing your volume very quickly.

In similar circumstances a few years back I managed to focus all my endurance S-B-R abilities into running progressively longer distances in training for a February XC Marathon... and got a stress fracture as a result. Consultant/Sports Doc looked at my training volume and said I'd got it perfect APART FROM taking an easy week after every 3 weeks of increasing volume.

This also means a marathon is still on my bucket list, so good luck to you in your training and you'll get to that start line in the shape you need to achieve your goal. 8-)

Cheers Bopo. Next week is a recovery week, according to the Strava plan I'm using, but I did have to shorten my easy run last night though as I still felt a bit leggy.
bontride.wordpress.com
Ihavenonickname

Postby Ihavenonickname » 06 Oct 2015 08:52

SHAMELESS PLUG WARNING!

I have just uploaded a blog post about my final preparation etc. for the Eden Marathon in 2 weeks. if anyone is interested it can be found at

https://bontride.wordpress.com/2015/10/ ... eview=true

Cheers
bontride.wordpress.com
Ihavenonickname

Postby gingertri » 08 Oct 2015 09:25

Good luck! Can you summarise the blog here?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
gingertri

Postby Jack Hughes » 08 Oct 2015 10:10

Ihavenonickname wrote:SHAMELESS PLUG WARNING!

I have just uploaded a blog post about my final preparation etc. for the Eden Marathon in 2 weeks. if anyone is interested it can be found at

https://bontride.wordpress.com/2015/10/ ... eview=true

Cheers

Always a pleasure to read your stories :D

Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Expect to hear a detailed track listing, matched to GPS co-ordinates, for the run.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion