Forum Issues

Our Founder, admins, and moderators will occasionally post in here to alert you to upcoming maintenence and changes to the board etc.

Re: Forum Issues

Postby IanM » 26 Oct 2010 15:46

Willy - are there supposed to be duplicates of announcements in each forum? If I read General Discussions > Announcements > New Forums, it's not marked as read in Events > Announcements > New Forums.
IanM

Postby willy_1977 » 26 Oct 2010 16:09

darn it, that's because I changed them to global announcements - bit rubbish that it doesn't mark them as read... hmmm plan b for this then...

I'll check it out.

Could it have been a cache issue? as because I've read an posted here it is marked as read across the boards?

P.S. I changed to global announcements as I wanted everyone to see them whichever board they default to (if that makes sense).
Venimus, vidimus, bibimus.
1st 4lbs so far...
willy_1977

Postby Rhino » 26 Oct 2010 16:13

I was going to suggest changing the time on the clock, but if we leave it a few more days it will be the right time again anyway. ;)
Rhino
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Postby IanM » 26 Oct 2010 16:53

willy_1977 wrote:P.S. I changed to global announcements as I wanted everyone to see them whichever board they default to (if that makes sense).

I understand the sentiment, but there's also an argument that it's potentially unnecessary clutter / padding at the top of each forum then?
IanM

Postby willy_1977 » 26 Oct 2010 16:55

Rhino - you can change that via User Control Panel / Board Preferences

In there the option is called: Summer Time/DST is in effect

essentially board admin has no control over that - apart from a default - since users could be all over the world.

Let me know if you need further information on this as I can quite easily post up some screen shots.

Cheers.
1st 4lbs so far...
willy_1977

Postby willy_1977 » 26 Oct 2010 17:10

iadama wrote:
willy_1977 wrote:P.S. I changed to global announcements as I wanted everyone to see them whichever board they default to (if that makes sense).

I understand the sentiment, but there's also an argument that it's potentially unnecessary clutter / padding at the top of each forum then?

Fair point dude.

I've reduced the number of global announcements, non-essential announcments have been moved back to an announcement forum.

I've left two global announcements currently: Forum Issues and Forum Notes both of which I think you should be able to get to from where-ever you are in the forum as they are related to how-to use the forum and how to report errors/suggestions with the forum...

I will also alert via global announcement about planned system outages - but obviously they'll be cleaned up after the relevant outage and moved to announcements...

Sound fair?
1st 4lbs so far...
willy_1977

Postby Rhino » 26 Oct 2010 18:45

willy_1977 wrote:Rhino - you can change that via User Control Panel / Board Preferences

In there the option is called: Summer Time/DST is in effect

essentially board admin has no control over that - apart from a default - since users could be all over the world.

Let me know if you need further information on this as I can quite easily post up some screen shots.

Cheers.

Cheers Lee, tis done
Rhino
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Postby IanM » 26 Oct 2010 18:48

Yup, much better - and the issue with duplicates seems to be fixed, nice one :)
IanM

Previous

Return to Announcements