Swashbucklaaaaaaaar

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

Swashbucklaaaaaaaar

Postby Tritans » 23 May 2011 11:26

Background

This was to be my prep race for Ironman Switzerland which is in early July, that said, I’ve not done a Middle Distance race before, so it still represented a huge challenge.

My training has been going well, I’d started in mid November and had 3 solid months before I started having minor leg niggles that wouldn’t go away, and as a result I haven’t done anywhere near enough run training, which is especially disappointing as it is by far my weakest discipline. Despite this, for once, I had been very sensible and nursed myself back to fitness, so I was going into the race pretty much injury free.

Aware of how soon IMCH would be upon me I wanted to use this as a proper prep race , to throttle back and to feel as though I could continue once I’d finished, rather than seeking out the medical tent as usual. So I took all timing off the Garmin and left just Heart Rate (although I still had distance on the bike comp) for someone as OCD as me this was very scary. But I was determined not to go out too quick on the notoriously fast bike course and blow up on the run.

So for once I had very simple objectives.

Not miss the start of the swim
Bike to 135bmp
Run to 142bmp this would include a 9.30min run 30sec walk
Finish uninjured and fresh (ish).

The 5.15 start time meant an overnight stay in Lyndhurst which was about 20 mins away from Bucklers Hard. It was slightly disappointing to find a Wedding in full flow when we checked in at lunchtime on the Day before. I suspected that this would mean a Disco interrupted sleep.

After checking in we set off to register and attend the race briefing, all of which went smoothly apart from failing to meet up with Bopo and Ian, who’d attended the earlier briefing. The only thing that concerned me was the talk of the “harmless jellyfish”. – I don’t like jellyfish.

Registration complete and we headed back to Lyndhurst for an early, pre race Fish and chips accompanied by a couple of pints of local, flavoured water. The agreed meet time at reception was 3.00am. So I set the alarm for 2.15 and hit the sack at 8.00.

I’d like to blame the disco for my lack of sleep but in reality The Fear had travelled down south for a little seaside break, and was constantly whispering “encouragement” into my ear. a generous estimate would be, 2 hours sleep. I was however rewarded by the early start, as we met up in reception we were met by the sight of about 40 or so of the wedding guests who were still “celebrating”, the look of disbelief on their faces, when we told them what we were up to at that time of the morning was memorable.

As we left the Hotel the predicted wind and rain made an appearance, and by the time we arrived there was a full scale storm going on, I was surprisingly unconcerned by the weather.

An uneventful trip to race HQ saw us among the first to arrive, so we bagged plum racking spots (un numbered racking) As I was heading over to a marquee to get changed and shelter from Hurricane Swash, I spotted Gary and Ian queuing for the loo, after a brief chat (not bad for me at that time of the morning) I wandered off, I quickly turned around again at a commotion originating from bops portaloo, it was rocking around violently, and from the sound of it, Bopo far from having athe OMPF I think it was more a OMFP. My suspicion was that The Fear, having done his work on me the previous day had decided to pay poor old Bops a visit, at the most inconvenient time.

The Swim 2000m 40min 19 sec.

Objective one achieved! a bit too successfully though as one of the first in I found myself at the front of the start and had to paddle backwards to get behind the start line, by now there were loads of peeps behind me so no way through, I’d just have to take my chances at the front. Oh no, this is begging to look like my Windsor cluster all over again, surely I can’t make the same mistakes again.

The plan in river swims in to get in the middle, to take advantage of the flow on the way down then hug the bank on the way back, where the flow is “minimal”.

It all started very well, a bit congested but nothing to bad, in fact I found everyone very respectful, so when the was contact, rather than having a fight there was a parting of the ways, all very civilised. There was massive congestion at the first turn, but anticipating this I took a wide line and cruised unhindered around the outside. Now head over to the bank, all is well. Afer a while the flow began to take it’s toll, a quick look up showed that not only was I mid stream but I was now cut off from the bank by a load of parked boats, how the fook did that happen. The channel I was now in was not very wide and quite busy, I was being pushed nearer and nearer the floating Gin Palaces. As I passed one of the bigger ones, I saw, scrawled in graffiti along the side, Flava was ere.

The second lap was an exact replica of the first, I’ve still now idea how it went so wrong, but there were no Jellyfish and I really enjoyed it.

T1

I opted to de suit imediatley after I got out of the water, which went surprisingly well. Then a walk up the frankly, alpine 400m climb, to transition, for me there would be no gain in running. Because of the weather I opted to put a long sleeved top over my tri suit for the bike (good choice), as a result not my quickest transition but I didn’t forget anything, so happy.

The Bike 80km 2hr 39min

What a course, I loved it. Pancake flat and uber fast. Could I control myself though that was the question. I started off very conservatively and just got onto the Tribars to try and combat the wind, I was soon picking off plenty of the better swimmers. As the first lap progressed I started getting my HR to the top end of my target, I still felt great and was really enjoying it. I was drinking plenty and having a gel every 40mins.

As I waded my way up the field the peletons became more noticeable, and the only time I lost control was when some tosser shouted a sarcastic nice wheels as he went past. The fact he’d been sat on my back wheel for the last 15 mins didn’t seem to bother him. I let him go but kept him in sight until we reached a long straight slightly uphill section, I wound it up so I passed him at nearly my max effort, there was no way he’d be able to respond quick enough to grab my wheel again. A bit childish maybe, but I allowed myself a little bit of fun because of the restraint I’d been showing.

I’d heard how many bottles were lost at the cattle grids, but man alive there were dozens of them. I also saw the residue of a crash, I don’t what happened but it was getting very heated, I noticed that there was a DQ for dangerous riding.

Just as I was nearing the end of lap 2 and turning for home, come across Bopo, who’d obviously had a very good swim. Then a short pootle home, it was all over far too soon, 2nd objective achieved HR 133. I loved this bike route and am coming back next year to race it properly.

T2

Smooth, quickish.

The Run 22km 2hr 40min :evil:

Well this is where I was hoping I would be rewarded for my patience on the bike. As I started off, I felt strong, but I just couldn’t get my HR down, it was around the 155-160 mark much, much to high for me to do this comfortably. I tried slowing down but it still stayed high, I was soon as usual being passed by everyone I’d overtaken on the bike and it wasn’t long before Bopo caught me and did his best to drag me along, but it just wasn’t happening and after a quick chat his butterfly adorned arse disappeared off into the sunrise.

Shit as it was, I still didn’t feel to bad after the first lap, my run walk routine seemed to be working ok and I wasn’t getting too depressed by the huge numbers passing me. But as you complete the first lap, you have to go up Alpine hill through transition and onto the 2nd lap, this killed me and things started going downhill from here.

By now the wind was gusting and in typical fashion was into your face whichever way you turned. The inclines that I hadn’t noticed on lap 1 now become really testing, the run walk had gone from 9m30se-30 to 9min -1min, my pace slowed, my HR remained high and I was hurting. By 16km I really was miserable. I’d had enough, I wanted to not only give up, not only that, but I wanted to give up Tri totally, “why do I keep putting myself through this shit, I hate running and I’m useless at it”.

But in some perverse way it was from this low point that I managed to get going again. I started counting to 100, over and over again, mundane, boring but it took my mind off how bad I was feeling.

Eventually I approached the bottom of Alpine hill which you have to go up to finish. I’d managed to ahem time my walk time to coincide just short of this so I could have a breather and actually make it up the hill unaided.

The run up this hill was unbelievable the support was incredible, really incredible. Loads of people had stayed on to support. It was a great feeling.
As I crossed the line and laid down so I could er have my chip removed, I opened my eyes to find one of my companions laughing and saying “you got chicked on the line” Which considering how often I’d been chicked on the run, made me piss myself laughing.

The Aftermath Total time 6hr 05mins

The times are all a bit vague as there were transition times shown on the results and I'm not sure where they would be from anyway so I've just taken them from my garmin (recorded but not displayed)

My lack of running really showed on the 2nd lap, I’ve got about 5-6 weeks to get something in place to get me through IMCH, but reality has set in. I know how tough this is going to be now. I’d rocked up to this thinking, it’s ONLY a half, I’ll be fine. Well for the record, a Half is fooking hard work, really, really hard. If you underestimate it, take it too lightly or go off too fast you are in for a world of pain.

It was chip timed, a nice tech tee, medal, as much cake as you could eat (which is quite a lot). Very well run, great event that I would would highly recommend.

I didn’t catch up with Ian, but I know his preparation wasn’t the most straightforward, I’ve seen the results and know he finished, although it looked as though he had a tough race, well done fella, hope you’re not broken.
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

Re: Swashbucklaaaaaaaar

Postby IanM » 23 May 2011 12:36

Excellent report, and had me genuinely laughing out loud :lol: And I've got to agree about the support on the run up the hill - it was inspiring.

Full report to follow later. I had my fair share of issues and whilst I'm in a lot of pain at the moment (more DOMS than any seriously aggravated or fresh injuries I think), I did enjoy it and will very likely be back next year
IanM

Postby Bopomofo » 23 May 2011 13:54

Where: Bucklers Hard, Beaulieu Estate, New Forest, Hampshire
When: 22nd May 2011
Organiser: Race New Forest
Course details: Race Booklet
Distance(s): 1900m / 80km / 22km
Marshalling: Marshalling at all areas, all corners/turns, every 3km on run
Facilities: Food / Drinks / Plentiful Porta-potties
Technical: Chip timing with mats at T1/T2 exit and finish line
Freebies: Bag, T-Shirt, nutrition samples + best finishers medal EVER

My Race:

Oh dear. This wasn't going to be very good. The past many months have seen my training hovering around the 20-25 hours/month level, so I was approaching Swashbuckler with some trepidation...

Attended the registration and race briefing on the Saturday with my 'Heartbreak Half' running mate and HIM first-timer Becky, meeting IanM and his wife Gemma for organiser Richard Iles' usual comprehensive and lengthly (45 mins!!) pre-race read-out.

Having been warned about the current, the jellyfish, the skittish ponies on account of the late foaling, the perils of cornering across wet cattle grids, the general state of the roads and the predicted rain and 30mph+ winds we were all set for 'Operation Cluster'. There was also a final call for us all to be careful and sensible and all come back safely and I thought Richard struggled a bit with that... I guess the horrific events of last year's race still sit pretty heavily.

It may sound odd, but I walked back up the path to where I'd last spoken to Tim Wilks to make sure I wasn't going to be affected on the day. I found it surprisingly emotional. RIP, Mr. Wilks.

Back home to get everything set up and loaded, then off to bed with the alarm clock set for 2:45. Out of the house by 3:15 and onto a rain soaked motorway with the car being gusted from side-to-side. Oh crap.

Arrived at 4am to commence a very wet kit set-up. Note to self: take a torch next time, as setting up in the dark is a bit frustrating. Many people were very well prepared with head torches, although every time one of them looked at me I got blinded so I gave up trying to chat and just spread my kit out. I chose a mid-way racking position having counted the racks and lines myself up next to the 3rd tree outside transition.

Last minute visit to the line of 20 portaloos and I met Ian there. Tritans pitched up to grump about the time and weather :lol: then wandered off to set up. I have to say it wasn't my portaloo that was pitching about like some kind of cack-filled tardis having a bad landing... it seemed to me that The Fear was paying a visit to the cubicle next door to mine, but I have to confess to a severe bout of pre-race AD.

Swim

Anyway, suited, set-up and quick good luck to my team mates and into the surprisingly warm water. 16 degrees was the conservative estimate and there was no cold water shock whatsoever. The current was less than fearsome and the jellyfish never showed up. As Ade said, the downstream flow meant (exactly as I predicted) everybody was back pedalling and the whole pack bunched up on the line. I was right on the line when the horn went off with about 4 rows in front of me...

So yes, I had an awful start in the wrong place completely. So I went wide and heading straight for the bouy, while most people seemed to follow the curving line of the boats. I think I made up for my poor positioning and an aggresive line at the turn got me back into it. Not much else to report other than a lack of training meant I wasn't able to drop the hammer at the end and I was taking on a bit of salt water. Two very hefty dry heaves and some stomach cramp told me to pay a bit more attention to my breathing and stop drinking the very salty water.

Out of the water, I'm sure I heard a spectator shout "about 20th" to a mate near me, but I must have misheard as the numbers say I was out of T1 in 99th place. :shock: Not what I hoped for, but probably what I deserved.

Shoulders out of the suit while running up that stinking 400m hill towards transition and the first of the ladies' blue hats came running past. The ladies had started just over 5 mins behind the men so she must have been flying. Jeez... not even 6am and I've been chicked already. :o :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure what my swim time was as The Fear made me forget my watch :twisted: . Swim + T1 was 39:14.

Bike

Shoes on in a strangely quiet and deserted T1, no point with the rubber bands when the floor is muddy and your feet will be covered in cack by the time you put them in your shoes. Following standard Coney advice I ran straight through the usual cluster in the mount box and 10m later got a flying leap onto my bike and a clear getaway.

100m down the road and 'CLATTER'!! WTF was that, it sounded exactly like my tool-kit going through my spokes. Quick check behind and there's my spare tube about 30m back down the road so I gently slowed down (lots of traffic behind so can't just slam the anchors on) and ran back for it, all the while cursing myself for obviously not zipping the bag up properly. After all, it has a dodgy zip so I'm usually careful.

Back to the bike and I realise that the entire tool bag is empty and the zip has failed totally and irreparably. I began launching F-bombs like a Tourettes sufferer with a wasp in his boxers. How the hell will a tube help when I have no levers? Back down the road again, looking for my levers, multi-tool and emergency puncture repair kit. I found the kit right back by the mount box but no sign of levers or multi-tool. Ah crap, but at least I can get a tyre on/off using thumb power at a push so run back to the bike, again, and try to sort the zip out.

Tool bag is completely broken, so I stuff the inner down the back of the tri suit and the puncture kit down the front, get back on, then angrily sprint off down the road. The fresh drizzle stinging my eyes reminds me I took my glasses off when I got off my bike and they're still on the roadside.... AAARRGGGGHHHH. Once again, off the bike, run back down the road, get glasses, run back to bike.... remount and seriously consider giving it up there and then. Actually, I just wanted to cry and I knew my hoped for 5:45 was going out of the window.

Anyway, I cracked on and eventually the wind eased up a bit and the sun came out for an hour or so. I missed having Endo with me, and had no watch so was reliant on my bike cadence/speedo unit to keep me paced. 30kph+ was on the clock frequently enough for me to be happy until it stopped working after about 30mins and only came back intermittently after that. I was now racing by feel. Fair enough... deal with it.

In the final section, probably about 15km to go, Ade came sailing past looking very cool and relaxed and strong. Low cadence, not breathing heavily, just looked to be powering along. Impressive work, fella!

Back towards T2, feet out of shoes, stood barefoot on the pedals to scoot into the stop box and leap off. The back wheel just bounced up a bit as I took the weight off the bike but otherwise all OK and I earned a "Nice dismount" from the marshall as I passed 3 or 4 people who were clambering off with feet still in shoes and generally arsing about. Into T2, usual routine apart from swinging the Camel-Bak on and off we go.

Bike + T2, 2:44:00. Even with the tool-kit cluster and T2 I still averaged 29.4kph for 80km. Ah.... I may be in trouble here.

Run

Oops I did it again... I made a pig of myself on the bike and have left nothing for the run. With quads screaming in protest I shuffled off down the road. I heard a shout of support from the crowd and suddenly my mate Cathy was trotting alongside asking how things were going. Jeez, but a bit of support really lifts you and I was so chuffed to see her I nearly stopped and gave her a hug. I described my bike cluster to her and it was only as I was telling the story that I realised I still had an inner tube and a puncture kit stuffed down my tri-suit. Duly retrieved I accepted the 'outside assistance' and handed them to her before she trotted off to wait for novice Becky. Cathy is just back from injury (and in fact was a DNS for Swashbuckler) so was planning to accompany Becky around for the run.

Next I bumped in Ade and we had a BCTTT pain-train going for a bit as we had a chat. I wasn't really aware of a pace difference but suddenly he was gone - maybe walking as part of his run/walk strategy - so I plodded on with a growing annoyance at my camel-bak.

I've used it loads before. I've come to rely on it for long runs. But I've never used it with my tri-suit and so didn't realise how the straps would chafe. It was enough to keep me very distracted and later when my breathing started to get a bit ragged I resolved to pull into transition after lap one, ditch the 'bak and collect my asthma inhaler. Up the 400m bastard hill, divert into transition with many marshalls advising me I was going the wrong way and made the swap. A few tokes on the inhaler and I rejoined the course.

With wheezy chest eased and distracting 'bak gone I pinched a few cups of Infiniti at the drink station and set off for lap 2 with a bit of a spring in my step. Lap 2 was notably uneventful in that I didn't get cramp, didn't want to give up, didn't cock up my water or nutrition... just got on with it. No idea of splits but Lap 2 felt quicker and by the last 3 miles I was getting bored. I knew I'd finish and I just wanted it done.

Coming into the last few miles I heard a runner on my shoulder and as the yellow kit of the 'Pirate Ship of Tools' came past he muttered "Move it, Cone-boy" :lol: I managed a pathetic "Yaaaarrrr". 20m later he stopped with cramp so I gave it some "Ha ha... I'm beating the pirates" as I re-passed. He shouted "You're a disgrace to your club, you should be at the back"... I managed to mutter "Up yer gangplank" :lol:

Looks like the BCTTT / PSoT rivalry is nice and healthy. Cheers for the banter, whoever you were. Nice finish, too, as the pirate came passing me at speed a few seconds later...

Finally up the hill for the last time and the crowd noise was a fantastic lift. Really awesome. Cheering, clapping, shouts of "Well done" and a few enlightened individuals shouting "Come on Bridgtown" and across the line to have the best medal EVER presented by Richard Iles.

I had to thank him for yet another fantastic race and he seemed genuinely pleased, as always. Brilliant.

Run 2:32:18

Total time was 5:55:33. I have to wonder what might have been if I hadn't had the toolkit cluster or needed to go back into transition on the run... would I have cracked 5:45? Probably, possibly, maybe.... but I chose to go out with a dodgy zip on my kit, I chose to experiment with the Camel Bak, I forgot my inhaler. What might have been is irrelevant: that was the race I ran.

5:55:33 is what it says on the clock and I'm pleased with that. 8-)
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby CCS » 23 May 2011 14:17

Great work guys!
OMG, and I am going to have to go that far one day...

Ade - know just how you feel about the running!

Bopo - you deserve a BCTTT award for particularly stylish series of clusters!
Interesting feedback re Camelbak and trisuit combo issues - as this has been my plan of action for the Vit - will have to give it a try, as thinking about it, I have always run with a T-shirt with some sort of sleeves with my Camelbak (though no issues on the bike where I always use one)
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby andyb99 » 23 May 2011 16:32

well done fella's...great reports
andyb99
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby TRIumphant » 23 May 2011 16:42

Well done boys, any pictures of the medal?
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 23 May 2011 17:01

Well done guys, conditions must have made it a far harder course than it should have been. Was looking forward to your race reports. Wish I could have made it down but too much to sort out. You've learnt the hard lesson about HIM distance then Ade. Bike course was nice though, I bet there was a lack of traffic when you rode it too :D

Bopo, I expected a few clusters from you, stop whining about the 'bak though, I've been doing my long runs with one wearing a singlet, the chaffing isn't too bad :P
Sir Jibbenstein

Postby IanM » 23 May 2011 17:17

My Race Report:

Brief bit of back story; this is the year I "go middle" - 3 half iron's lined up, Swashbuckler to start, then Antwerp 70.3 & The Vitruvian. Swashbuckler was intended as a learning experience as it would be my first middle distance tri. Initially I was aiming for a 40 ish minute swim (having done 1500m in something like 33 IIRC at Little Beaver last year), a 2h30-40ish bike split, and a 2hr half marathon, and including transitions wanted to do something like 5h45. This proved to be naive on quite a few fronts...

I'd had a tight ankle for a few weeks and was getting regular treatment for it. At the same time work was very chaotic, often working until midnight or later, and in one particular case 4am, so this was disrupting my training and I was trying to fit sessions in whenever I could. On a day I had a bike hill reps session planned, I'd had physio treatment in the morning; unfortunately I finished work later than planned so didn't have enough daylight to fit the bike in, so decided to do a 30 minute run instead. I know not to run the same day I've have treatment, but I felt ok so decided to go for it. I woke up next day knowing it was a big mistake as it felt like my achilles (old injury that's caused me months of grief in the past) had gone. Back to the physio who said it wasn't torn, but was very inflamed. A month later, after several ultrasound, laser and massage treatments, no running, and not knowing if I'd be able to start the run at Swashbuckler, 5 days before the event I was given the go ahead to start the run with a run-walk strategy and to stop if I was in pain. I was also told it would be a good idea to have some ibuprofen tablets before the run (whilst on the bike) and slap some ibuprofen gel on the area in T2.

During this time I also received the email from the race organiser regarding the tides for the swim, and that they'd be strong. Reading through the comments in the event thread, and comparing times to last year, it was clear that 40 minutes wasn't going to happen, and I was now looking to make the 1hr cut off.

Next, (I did say brief back history didn't I? ahem...) my cyclescheme agreement from last year expired so I was able to get a new voucher and at the same time my finances were in reasonably good health for the first time in years, so I decided it was time to splash out and I ventured off to see Mike at BTown about getting a SpeedConcept 7, which I picked up 4 days before the race. Having discussed my injury with Mike, he said that although normally he wouldn't recommend riding a bike I wasn't used to in a race so soon after getting it when I had a perfectly good road bike to use, as I was not even sure I would be able to finish it would be a good opportunity to get used to the bike.

With work being busy I only managed to get about 20 minutes on the bike on Friday morning, and had a few issues with the Profile bottle, noise from the wheels (turns out it was the valve rattling, which I was able to fix) and one of the aerobar pads being too high. A bit of fettling later and it felt like it was going to be ok.

Oh, and I'd also got my spanking new club kit that I'd not even had chance to try out in training, but decided I absolutely had to race in it!

So, tidal river where I was unsure I'd make the cutoff, a brand new bike I hadn't used, new kit I'd not worn before, and an achilles time bomb, err, tendon. What could possibly go wrong?

Needless to say, 5h45 was out the window, and with the forecast high winds I was just hoping to go under 7h.

We'd stayed with the WAT officer's aunt and uncle about 20 miles away from Buckler's Hard (which, BTW, is a stunning venue), and I got myself to bed at about 9.30, after a couple of glasses of wine and a couple of Nytol. Before I knew it it was 2.15 and I was up and forcing some porridge down followed by the 1st toilet visit (not AD territory though). When I left Eastleigh at 3am it was dry, but windy although the wind wasn't too bad at this point. 40 minutes later I arrived at BH, and it was lashing down with rain and the wind was absolutely howling through. Before I started unpacking I had toilet visit number 2 in one of the 2 portaloos in the car park, then proceeded to unload the car and wheel everything to transition. On the way a guy was stopped looking down on the floor and a couple of people asked him what was up - he'd dropped his wedding ring. Not a great start to the day! We all had a look around but couldn't find it - hopefully he came back in the daylight and had more luck.

Setting up in transition, I'd put my CO2 canisters and tool kit in the SC7 draft box, but knew it'd rattle like crazy. So I wadded a load of toilet paper into the draft box which seemed like it would do the trick. After finishing up in transition I then had 3 further loo visits (all of which were full on AD). The last one was about 4.45 and I was sat in there, listening to the torrential rain and gale force wind, not feeling too brilliant, and beginning to consider hiding in there for the next few hours. Anyway, I MTFU, and got out. Wetsuit on, and stomach was finally beginning to feel relatively normal. Dale had rocked up about 4.50 as well, as on time as ever :lol: I gave him a couple of gels I'd picked up for him, then got my wetsuit on and we headed down to the jetty.

The race:

I got in the water as early as I could so I could acclimatise. When most people were in position I swam out to the back of the swim pack and awaited the start. The horn sounded, and we were off. It always takes me ages to settle into a rhythm in OW, so although we had the current with us, I was very stop start as I warmed into the swim. I think I reached the bottom buoy (approx 475m) in about 10 minutes, then turned into the current. By this point all but a few stragglers were in front of me, but taking a very wide line around to get back to the start of the loop. Despite knowing this was because the current was less strong on the wider line having a) discussed it with Gary the day before, and b) been told it by the organiser the day before, I decided that a straight line was clearly the way to go :roll: approx 20 minutes later I hit the buoy - having at one point been passed by what I initially thought was a torpedo, but was actually the lead girl moving faster than I've ever seen anyone move in water. And that was against the current :shock:. And approaching the turnaround, I looked up to sight every 8 strokes, but because the current was even stronger here I'd barely moved between sightings. That was awful, and hugely discouraging. I rounded the top of the loop in about 30 minutes, and set off knowing that I had to be quicker to avoid the cut off. Thankfully by this time I was warmed up, and hopefully less stupid as well - I made the bottom buoy in about 7 minutes, and proceeded to go wider on the return - although still not as wide as everyone else had gone. This saw the return leg take approx 14 minutes - and that was with a current that was getting faster. So note to self - don't underestimate the current.

Self timed swim - 50m51s

T1

I clambered out of the water and started undoing the wetsuit as I walked up Everest to T1. I struggle to run out the water at the best of times, but it was definitely not going to happen today. I got into transition and found my bike easily, as a large percentage had gone... I then realised I'd left my towel in the car - so had to dry my feet (I wear socks and roadshoes) on my BCTTT hoody :cry: It was a far from rapid T1, and I was out onto the bike in about 6 minutes.

The bike

Thankfully during the swim the rain had stopped and the sky had started to clear, but the wind was still fairly strong, and the road was pretty soaked. Nutrition wise, I'd got 4 gels taped to the bike, and a Snickers flapjack tucked into a pocket in my tri-top. This lasted approximately 200m before I felt it pop out onto the road - I briefly considered stopping to fetch it, but as I was already way behind I decided to just crack on and see how I survived on gels alone.

I managed to settle into a rhythm fairly quickly and attempted to keep my HR about 150ish. The first 5 or so miles went quickly, although I was surprised at how many people I'd seen at the side of the road repairing punctures. The road surface left a lot to be desired in places, and was very gravelly (although we'd been pre-warned of this by Jibby last week, and by the organiser the day before), but there was a huge difference between most of the surface, and the bits that were smooth - although this may be to do with riding on carbon wheels.

I'm a much better cyclist than swimmer, so I was picking people off at a regular pace - I also saw some of the mini peletons that have been mentioned, which was pretty sad. The wind wasn't having too much of an effect early on, until we got to the areas of open plains, which for a couple of miles had a direct crosswind - this made for some very hairy moments (first time on deep sections), and at one point I was blown into the other side of the road. As my confidence built it got easier, but I was definitely riding around 8/10ths of where I should have been for most of the first lap. Although the open plain contained the best bit of the course - a right hand turn lead to a winding but fairly flat section with a tail wind - this bit was done 3 times (in a 2 lap race - it was a bit of a strange course, but it made sense when you were on it) and it was extremely fast. Not long after this bit was the first cattle grid. I came almost to a dead stop and rolled slowly over it, before putting the power back on as I came off it - or so I thought! The back wheel was still on it and as I put the power on, the rear jumped sideways about 6 inches. The HR spiked a bit there!

During the next half an hour a need to urinate started and was growing, and I knew I'd have to stop at some point. I attempted to resist for as long as possible, to see if I could get to at least lap 2 and maybe hold it until T2. But approaching the end of lap 2 my stomach started giving me signals that all was not well, and I was going to have to stop sooner rather than later. A mile or so later, my stomach made it clear that it was now, whether I liked it or not.

If you're of a sensitive disposition, skip the next paragraph.

I stopped at a gate into forest area, went through the walkway, and propped my bike up by the gate. I was extremely happy that I'd used toilet roll to pack in the kit in the draft box. Suffice it to to say, I now know the answer to the eternal question "does the triathlete shit in the woods?" :? :oops:

After about 6 minutes I was back underway. Before stopping I'd passed about 50 people, and knew that a good portion of those people had passed me back, so off I went trying to regain some places. This lasted for about 20 minutes, before the rattling from the now paper free draft box became too much bare, and I had to stop again to retrieve everything from there to jam into my tri suit. I was stopped there for about 2 minutes dealing with that, before getting underway again, so then had to proceed to overtake a number of people for the 3rd time.

At some point on lap 2 I hit a pothole which exploded the top off the aero bottle, so once again I had to stop to deal with that, and refill from the spare bottle. Another minute or so and a fair few places lost there, so back onto the road to re-regain those places.

The rest of the lap was fairly uneventful. I was overtaken by one fast guy who'd been hit by a puncture, then turned into the tailwind section for the final time. After that is a point where you turn right and head into the last 5 miles of the bike course - and smack into a nasty headwind for a good couple of those miles. Then it was onto the road back to Buckler's Hard, and into transition.

Bike - 2h45. I lost a good 9-10 minutes here through my various issues, and also wasn't putting in my intended effort as was getting used to a new bike in wet and windy conditions. But I was only overtaken (whilst moving) once by the guy who'd had a puncture, so I'm pretty happy with this. I can't wait to spend some decent time on the new bike - it feels great, I can sense that it wants to go faster and soon I'll have the confidence to do that. I'm going to love doing TTs on this as well.

As an aside, I've seen reports of people saying they were surprised by how underdressed people were - I had tri top and shorts on, and never once felt that it was too cold. And on the subject of the club kit - I only began to feel some undercarriage discomfort a couple of miles from the end - definitely better than my cycle shorts and old 2XU tri shorts.

T2

Oh dear. Here we go again. Racked the bike, shoes off, nurofen gel on, and then a massive struggle to put compression socks on (I was already wearing calf guards, but wanted the extra support). I had absolutely no feeling in my feet at all. I had to sit down to put the socks on, then an achilles strap, then my shoes on. I then grabbed the loo roll from my bag and headed down to the 2 portaloos in transition. I opened the first to see a sight that I never want to see again. Thankfully the 2nd was much better. Another case of AD here, then out and off onto the run. 11 minutes for T2 :shock:

The run

I was initially expecting this to take me 3 hours, with a 2 minute run, 3 minute walk strategy, slowing building the run time if it felt ok. But at the first walk I decided to do 2:2 and build from there. Despite no feeling in my feet other than pain in my heel from what felt like a stone (closer examination revealed nothing, so just assumed it was down to the numbness and would wear off) within the first 20 minutes I was doing 2.30:1.30 and feeling pretty good - although at the same time everyone I'd passed on the bike was now picking me off on the run.

The first aid station was at 3 miles, and I surprised myself by getting there in 30 minutes. I made it up to 3:1 but soon after I started getting a few twinges so slowed back down and had to stop a few times to stretch my calves out. Not long after halfway round the first lap I started getting stomach grief again, and knew I'd have to stop. I kept an eye out for somewhere, but there was nowhere that was suitable so I kept on with the intention of getting into transition. Nearing the end of the first lap the marshals and spectators were cheering everyone on and telling people there wasn't far to go... not for me I thought :( The first lap came to an end, and back up Everest to transition - with the helpful marshal at the finish gate ready to wave me in, but I took the right gate, rather than left... and straight back into the portaloo. By this time the sun was out it was heating up, and I'd got sweat streaming down my face whilst sitting there in what was turning into a rather fragrant oven, and the salt that was in my hair from the swim was getting into my eyes and making it all a rather painful experience.

Anyway, back out, and the lap was complete in about 1h20. I was at least pleased to have had no real pain from my achilles from the first lap.

Just past the transition area was an aid station, so I chucked a cup of water over my head to rinse the salt away, and started running with a guy, Martin, who was also at the aid station, and we had a bit of a chat. I managed to stick with him for about 5 minutes then had to walk, so I told him I'd see him later. Not long into the 2nd lap and my achilles started to hurt. I was stopping frequently to stretch, and also walking/jogging backwards at times, as recommended by my physio. The 2nd lap was also a very lonely affair, as most people had finished by now - so that combined with the frequent stops meant it took a very long feeling 40 minutes to reach the 3 mile aid station. From this point my 2:2 plan had gone to pot and I was running when I felt like I could and stopping as soon as the twinges started, and walking for as long as it felt to feel fresh. At the 5.5 mile aid station, I met up with Martin again who was struggling quite badly, and we ran together. By this time I realised I could possibly do a 6h45 time, so started to run through the pain rather than walk, which meant Martin and I kept pace. Into the last half mile and I decided to push on - I tried to gee Martin up into picking the pace up, but he couldn't. I rounded the corner at the bottom of Everest to cheers from Gary and some kind of sexual proposition from him which I think was meant to inspire me into a sprint finish :o I ran up the hill to absolutely fantastic reception from the crowd, and my wife and her aunt & uncle who were waiting at the top. I crossed the line in 6h40, had a medal put round my neck, a bottle of water thrust into my hand, and then I carefully lowered myself to the floor to get my breath back.

Despite the weather and numerous personal issues the organisation, marshals, the course, the venue and the atmosphere made this an amazing race, and one I fully intend to do again.

And next time I'll use my head for the swim, aim to not be injured, and sort out my pre- and mid-race nutrition! Even with the run-walk strategy there's at least 20-25 minutes I lost that could have been avoided. But for now, I'm a Swashbuckler, albeit one that can't particularly walk very well, and that'll do for me :D
IanM

Postby Bopomofo » 23 May 2011 17:44

Superb efforts Ian and Ade. Really hope there's no damage there, Ian, but it sounds like you managed it very well.

I only offered to goose you to spur you on at the finish, you know. At least I gave you a choice. Miskin just assumes 'no' means 'yes' and gropes away, you know. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds to me like you need to have a look at Dr. Jibby's AD remedies as he appears to have cured himself by changing his diet to haribo on white bread, or something...
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Postby ris » 23 May 2011 17:45

as much as i loved reading ade's and bop's, that is the finest race report i have ever read.

did your aunt serve you a massive vindaloo the night before? :lol:
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Next

Return to Race Reports