Aberfeldy Middle Distance (Scottish & British Championships)

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

Aberfeldy Middle Distance (Scottish & British Championships)

Postby tesseract » 18 Aug 2014 21:16

Where: Aberfeldy
When: 17 August
Organiser: Live Active (I think?)
Course details: ow swim (Loch Tay), bike including Schiehallion twice, undulating run
Distance(s): 1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21km run
Marshalling: Marshalling was superb, tons of them
Facilities: Plenty of aid stations with plenty of selection, lots of loos too apparently
Freebies: A really good LOMO kitbag, swim hat, biscuits, oatmeal, oat cakes (really going for the Scottishness)

Race report:
To sum up in a few sentances first, it's not a race I'll be doing again, but purely because it's just not set up for wierdos like me that don't drive. The only way I could get there was train to Pitlochry, then find a way to get the 25km to Aberfeldy, which for me was a supposedly easy spin the day before to get there, and sadly after the race a much harder ride back (couldn't get a taxi to take me either way :evil: ). Then there was also a 10km ride to get to T1, as there was a split transition...but I'm getting ahead of myself.

I'd been watching the weather reports closely all week, as there were weather warnings issued for the weekend, high winds and heavy rain (in case anyone missed it). Travelling up on the Saturday, I thought as usual the weatherman's got it wrong, the sun's shining, and there's not that much more than a gentle breeze, sweet. About 2 minutes after I got off the train at Pitlochry the rain started :( still it was heavy showers rather than constant rain, so I set off for my 25km "spin" session. The route was OK, part cycle path/ then minor A road, but the wind picked up a bit, so with my aero wheels (yes I still planned to race with them despite the wind warnings), and the big rucksack on my back, I was blown about a wee bit. About 1.5 hours to get to Aberfeldy, so that's an average speed of 18kph? Speedy lol.

Once I'd sorted myself in the hotel room I headed down to registration, which I have to say wasn't that clearly signposted, and there were hundreds of people milling about (600+ registered for the race I think). Listened to the pre-race breifing which was quite professionally done in an auditorium. Then I sorted out my kit for T2, which had to be left there that night. Back to the hotel and sorted my kit for the morning as best I could, and went to sleep wondering how I get everything I wanted for T1 to T1, but without having to go and get stuff left behind after the race (ended up fine as it all went in the T1 bag so was transported back).

Woke up about 4am to the sound of the wind howling and rain hitting the window, I planned to get up at 4:30 anyway so no biggie. Up, sorted my stuff, decided to cycle to T1 with my wetsuit on, and the rest of my kit tucked in at my back. Worked a treat. Transtion set up was fairly standard, slightly hilly, as in up a wee bit of a hill from the water.

Time to start, wave 2, into the water which was a little colder than I expected (been doing plenty of OW practice) but not bad. Swam to the start, feeling OK, but taking a middle to back position as still not very comfortable with the washing machine. Horn goes and off we go, the buoys were small for the distance we had to sight, but there were landmarks that worked OK, well until the last one. About 200 metres into the swim I had to stop and do a bit of breaststroke, just couldn't get my breathing right, not sure if it was nerves, pacing, excitment or what, then set off crawl again, but struggled to settle into a pace. I should probably mention the waves at this point, as the wind was picking the water up and it felt more like a sea swim. About 2/3 round I got mild cramp in my left hamstring, but managed to ease it off while still swimming. My energy felt good, I was a bit worried about the swim as I had missed a few weeks of build up thanks to my crash, but nope arms and back were fine. Round the last turn and realised the sun had come out and was shining right into our eyes, which made sighting for the swim exit tough, but I followed the bulk of the swimmers in front of me. Swim done, time a shoddy 39mins, and firmly middle of the pack. Looking at the times I think everyone was slowed by the waves a bit.

T1 was straightforward, a wee run up the hill, then about two sides of transition to get in to it. Suit off OK, jacket on due to the weather, helmet on and away.

Out on the bike, holding myself back for once. I normally try and beat everyone on the bike, and sometimes have, but I knew we had Schiehallion at the start, and again towards the end. For those that don't know it, it's a fair climb, I think maybe a crit 3? could be wrong. Struggled a bit up the mountain, as simply hadn't done enough hills in training, and again too much time off, and on the turbo, after my crash. Still overtook a few people going up. The pass across the top was really windy as up high and exposed, the weatherman had predicted gusts up to 35mph and it felt like it. Quite a few twitchy moments with the H3 front, but when down on the aero bars it was controllable. Nice long descent on the other side then a flat section. So far this was all more or less into the wind. Around the midway point, and I knew it was going to be a much easier run home with the wind behind. Fairly flying along in the biggest gear, but couldn't hold the aero position much due to the pain in my neck (remains of whiplash) not much else to report until Schiehallion again. Still trying to keep it easy to save some for the run. The mountain was much harder the second time, really blowing getting up it. Down the other side and a few extra turns to get to T2. I think they were really making sure the distances were exact! Bike done in 2:49, way slower than my best, but not bad given the climbs etc.

T2 was perfect, run in and the announcer calls my name over the tannoy, hand my bike over, grab my kit bag from the marshal, shoes on and away.

I'd been looking forward to the run, well maybe not looking forward to it, but my running's been going good, and it's been the only bit I could keep going after the crash, so thought I'd be strong. First 5km were ok, good pace in my legs, but a slight twinge in my stomach. There were a few daft wee bits where you run up a street for maybe 10m then back again, clearly making sure the distances were spot on. After that it went downhill, my stomach got steadily worse, and so did my legs, I think the mountain took too much out of them (and the impact of lost time training). The route was a straight out and back, a few small hills, but nothing really undulating is the right word. Sadly my legs were done, and I had to stop and walk up a few of the hills. I tried to rally a few times, but had to walk run to the end. Run done in 1:43 which is good considering the walking, but I'm pissed at myself for not manning up and running it all.

Total time was 5:18, turns out I was 11th in my age group, so overall I'm happy, even though every leg was worse than I'd wanted. Only an hour behind the winner (Fraser Cartmell)

After hanging about to get my kit, and then get access to get my bike, and find it as they were racked pretty randomly, I then tried to get a taxi to take me to the train station. No luck. So I cycled the 25km back to Pitlochry. Missed my train too :evil: Eventually got home, and the rest of that story will be on the sh1t list thread later :evil:

A day later, I'm aching all over. Would I do it again? No not unless someone was driving, but it was a well organised, very well marshalled, challenging race.
tesseract

Re: Aberfeldy Middle Distance (Scottish & British Championsh

Postby jonathon.e » 18 Aug 2014 21:35

Excellent race, well done.
A real pity about the integrated public transport network not being up to a good standard, but I am sure The next king of Scotland will sort it out for you.
Aberfeldy must be one of the oldest MD/LD Tri races on the calendar nowadays, all the new races try to put words like classic, or iconic, or hardest/toughest, but Aberfeldy keeps plodding on, guess they don't want to let their secret out.

Great report too.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby tesseract » 18 Aug 2014 22:02

Cheer Jon. On a nicer day it'd be a beautiful race, and I can see how it's stood the test of time, and like I said really well marshalled.
tesseract

Postby kfjatek » 18 Aug 2014 23:08

Ah, reading this brings great memories - not of the event (never done it), but of the week at Loch Tay that we spent a few years ago (at a place called Bracken Lodges on the south bank). What a fantastic place, really rather awesome.

That's an excellent result - from what I can remember there's hardly a mile of flat land around there! Well done!

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby SickBoy » 18 Aug 2014 23:58

Well done, sounds like a tough course. I'd be really happy being 1hr behind Cartmell.

The weather sounds really shit in the UK! Race reports full of wind and rain and cold water!

Globally dominating Canada
SickBoy

Postby King Sad » 19 Aug 2014 06:23

Ouch, and I thought mine was a toughy. Well done indeed :D Next time, win Euromillions and fly your helicopter there :D
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby tesseract » 19 Aug 2014 21:43

I think your race was tougher KS! Maybe not the course, but no crashes for me.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to do another middle distance in two weeks like I'd planned, but just now I'm thinking "Naw!"
tesseract

Postby S11 » 20 Aug 2014 09:10

I had been thinking of this as a possibility for next year. Perhaps I'm not so sure, I do the climb up Schiehallion is a twunt - I think its close to Cat 2 in places. Certainly after the initial climb - I battered up that on the Etape - the descent on the other side is very nice which runs down the Beauly to Denny powerline.
Sunday was certainly tough conditions so well done for sticking it out fella
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Postby CCS » 20 Aug 2014 12:42

Sounds really tough - well done!
The thought of having to cycle to the station after would be enough to motivate me to drive (how lazy am I?)...
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby tesseract » 20 Aug 2014 22:20

Cheers.
S11 wrote:I had been thinking of this as a possibility for next year.
It'd be a great race in decent weather, so you'd have about a 2% chance lol. Schiehallion's the only really tough bit, and you've done that before. Get your running legs back and you'd be laughing.

CCS wrote:The thought of having to cycle to the station after would be enough to motivate me to drive (how lazy am I?)...
There were quite a few bad words said on that cycle back :lol:
tesseract

Next

Return to Race Reports