Monster Middle Distance 2014

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

Monster Middle Distance 2014

Postby King Sad » 17 Aug 2014 18:16

Where: Ely
When: 17 August 2014
Organiser: Monster Racing
Course details:Based at Jubilee Gardens, river swim, undulating 2 lap bike, undulating 4 lap run
Distance(s):1.9km swim; 83 km bike; 21km run
Marshalling: Traffic control at bike out and bike in, marshals in transition, at junctions and at other points along course
Facilities: Free parking, toilets, massage, trade stands
Technical: Chip timing
Freebies: T shirt, shoe bag, 9bar, discount vouchers including one for sports bra fitting which I was going to use until I realised I would not be doing the fitting

Short report: brutal! Full report to follow :D
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Re: Monster Middle Distance 2014

Postby Tritans » 17 Aug 2014 18:18

Make sure you post a pic of the medal.

Penned in the finest quill from The Royal County.
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

Postby Jack Hughes » 17 Aug 2014 18:40

Must have been good if you need a nice lie down :)
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby jonathon.e » 18 Aug 2014 06:57

Looking forward to the report, and hope you didn't damage yourself too much.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby King Sad » 18 Aug 2014 22:03

Originally my B race of the year, then became a testing bed for some tweeks as I knew I was not up to spec. Physio allowed me to start 'getting physical' about 3-4 weeks ago. In the meantime used the well known method eating beetroot and watching recorded highlights of Commonwealth Games Badminton. Also managed a swim or two, some spin/turbo and most happily some running from 5k up to 15k. Run has been main effort as I wanted to have a target pace of 5.40/km to achieve a sub 2hr 21k. A workable plan :D

My original target was Swim/T1/T2 1hr or less. Bike 2.45, reckoned if I could do the Vit in 2.45 -2.55 that would be a reasonable estimate. Run 2h. So 5h 45ish give or take - not unreasonable I thought. Given recent events, moved to the right; 5h45 to 6h

Race morning; Weather forecast, iffy for the previous week and confirmed at 03.44 am as overcast, no rain until 11.00, temp 14-15C but feels like 9-11C, wind 15-18mph. OK still workable and when setting up in transition Chi was pretty good.

Swim:
River swim was unusual, didn't expect much as no experience of river currents. 2 waves, I was in wave 2. Ah 7.00am and the delightful odour of river water scented by cow faeces and urine :D
Took it easy, surprised myself by cutting through a fair few. Out in 49, after a 300m run crossed the beams in 51.15. Feeling very good, no wobbly legs or dizziness, Was bloody cold though.

T1 4:42 took my time as had some coffee prepared to warm me up as anticipated that water would be chilly.

Bike
First 10k average 35-40kph, just cruising past the 1st wave/faster swimmers on road bikes, next 5k exposed to the wind, no hedges, 30-35kph but the road was rough with indentations about 2-3m long up to 5cm deep. Next 5k, yes ...rough, very rough minor road with cracks and depressions running across the width of the road, lucky to maintain 23kph. Still passing people. Next 8km roads much better, into the wind, average 30kph. Still passing people, content with progress and taking care not to overcook things.

And then ... Oh did I mention that the rain (0.1mm) wasn't forecast for another 3 hours, with an average wind of 15-18mph? Mmm yes Winds were now 21mph and gusting at 34mph!! (confirmed by Met Office). Wind was making a real racket blowing through my helmet .. no Kevy ... never experienced that before. Oh yes and it rained ... 0.1mm? Not on your Nelly. Freezing cold horizontal rain, shades were globulating. Oh yes and to cap it all I had been continuously snotting after the swim, hope you are not eating when I say I never knew I had so much in in me. All the way through voiding snot and mucous :(

At about 31k I was doing 36kph when a gust encouraged me to try some cyclocross. Fortunately it was flat grass, the bike was undamaged as my ribs protected it. My flat kit launched and spent the next 5mins getting my wind back, checking the bike and retrieving all the bits. Road bikes cruised by. Carrier not found so stuffed bits into my rear pockets and down my front. Off, then stop, bars not right, adjusted them and off again. So lost about 7min all told. :(

Needless to say, the next 5k was a bit slower at 25-32kph. Onto the last 5k to end lap one about 36kph. Lap 1 1:28

2nd lap
Take the above speeds and knock off between 5 and 10kph.I could only stay in the bars for a short while; 1. it was too dangerous, I was being blown all over the place. 2. My shoulders and arms were hurting like Billy ho. After the race chatting to some of the chaps and they had the same problem, so it wasn't just weedy me. It was very tiring, not only physically but mentally as every second or so you had to make some form of steering adjustment and be aware of what the wind was doing. Steve from Jaguar Timing told me that several riders had been blown off their bikes .. ooerr.

Bike was very disappointing, put that down to lack of experience in this sort of weather. Ah well

Last 1k to T2 2 things happened; 1. The black clouds and rain that had been forecast for now but had actually been hitting us for the best part of 2hrs vanished, blue skies and sun beating down for the run. 2. A people carrier did a Mark Cavendish and went for a gap that wasn't there forcing me against the pavement and down I went. Minor scrape to elbow and knee, chin flap of my helmet protected my face, driver buggered off before I could get the reg. A South African runner came over, helped me up and gave me a push off, top bloke!
Lap 2 1h 36

T2
You may be surprised that T2 took 4:04. Must admit I was a bit shaken up and took a moment or so to regain composure. manned up and off on the run.

Run
My intent had been to work to a 5:40/km pace to achieve 1h 58 or better. For this race if I could achieve 2h 06 I would be content with a 6.00/km pace.The run is described as undulating. It is a 4 lap course through the city centre and cathedral grounds and lots of support from the locals, even young lads passing in cars were shouting well done instead of the usual chav 'eoghhhh'
Anyway, in this undulating run there are a 3 ascents 12 in total over the 4 laps); ascent 1 13m rise over 300m, ascent 2 14m over 400m and ascent 3 15m over 400m. They slowed me down When I analysed the data - as I do, I was hitting an average of 5:41 on the flat so would have achieved a 1h 58. The actual time was 2h 10. The feed stations were on the flat so did not affect the time lost due to the ascents, about 1min each. So I am pretty pleased with that.

Total 6h 15 which is 15-30 min more than I wanted but even so this time would have given me 4th in AG last year with perfect conditions, came 5th in AG this year out of 8 and 210 out of 257 starters

So disappointed with the bike, usually up there , chalk it up to experience.

Would I do it again? Probably not, I didn't like the bumpy roads but an experience and hopefully I will learn from it

King Sad

Postby SickBoy » 18 Aug 2014 23:50

That does sound brutal, miserable weather and times off the bike?! Well done on a tough race.

Whatever doesn't kill you just screws your bike up and slows you down.

All good experience like you say!

Globally dominating Canada
SickBoy

Postby flavadave » 19 Aug 2014 15:14

Yikes! Well done mate, sounds like you had a rough time of it!
flavadave

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby kfjatek » 19 Aug 2014 15:55

Sounds like a tough day in the office, well done for gritting your teeth and finishing.

King Sad wrote:And then ... Oh did I mention that the rain (0.1mm) wasn't forecast for another 3 hours, with an average wind of 15-18mph? Mmm yes Winds were now 21mph and gusting at 34mph!! (confirmed by Met Office).

You have a hot line with the Met Office on race day? Sweet! :ninja:

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby King Sad » 19 Aug 2014 18:44

Yes, I couldn't believe the wind and using the magic of mobile interweb after the race checked out the actual info

Have been running a temperature since; dosed my eyes with chloramphenicol after the race and also have doxycyclin in my bloodstream as I take it for acne rosecea so think picked up a chill :(

King Sad

Postby jonathon.e » 19 Aug 2014 20:22

Tough race, well done, hope you didn't get damaged too badly with the 'offs', and the bike isn't too costly to repair either.
Great swim too, looking good for your next races.
Hope the bruises and wounds fix quickly.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Next

Return to Race Reports