Thames Turbo #3 - 26/5/14

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

Thames Turbo #3 - 26/5/14

Postby CCS » 27 May 2014 11:16

Another bank holiday Monday, another Thames Turbo race...

Feeling decidedly nonchalant about this one (a lot of racing done this month).
Was just about to set off to register on Sunday with youngest child in tow, when I received a distress call from the BAT – Mustang had broken down, so I was called to retrieve eldest child while he waited for the recovery truck... 2 grumpy children to keep me company now...
Slightly concerned to come across roadworks and temporary traffic lights on the bike course on our way there...
Sure enough, later in the evening, got an e-mail outlining the plans to deal with the traffic lights – a compulsory dismount and walk (no running on pain of DQ) zone in the middle of the bike course. Feeling decidedly low on enthusiasm for the race now – that was the chance of a fast bike out of the window (and I am obviously a bit of a one trick pony when it comes to triathlon - if I can't do a fast bike, there isn't a lot else there).

Brief race summary:

It was tipping down with rain. Some idiot only realised half way there that she had forgotten to put in a bin liner to keep her transition area dry. Still, a cheap DHB rain jacket proved that it really is very waterproof – used it to improvise a small cover for my 2 pairs of shoes – tipped about a litre of water out of it that had gathered on top, but shoes remained perfectly dry.

Off at no 404 (of 413) – so a lot of sitting around waiting was required – spent most of it hiding in the ladies changing room to keep dry (underfloor heating sadly not turned on this time). Left knee was hurting a lot for some reason (though fine throughout the race and since... odd...)

Swim
Remained unusually undisturbed by other swimmers until the last lane – let 2 past, then shamelessly drafted them to the finish; overtook both in transition.
Thought I had finally got a smooth technique for ducking under the lane ropes (tested while I took youngest child swimming on Saturday) – but not a great time (though as ever, not too bothered, as marginal difference)
8:59 – 31 secs slower than last time
(AG stats not available yet – but 35/121W; 130/341 overall)

T1
Slippery and wet (muddy grass) – but shoes & socks still nice and dry.
A respectable-ish 1:07

Bike
Lots of faff on the bike mount – ever since my last bike fit, I am struggling to clip in automatically on the right side (cleat wedges and a slightly different position mean it just doesn’t come naturally) – finally in and off.
Roads very slippery, so took it a bit carefully on the roundabouts.Dismounted at the walk zone; wheeled the bike through; messed around with clipping in again (note to self – it does help to have at least one foot clipped in before setting off).
Actually, quite pleased with the bike – allowing for the interruption and grotty weather, pace actually looks comparable to last time out.
38:11
(2/121 W; 24/341 overall)

T2
Unremarkable
58 sec

Run
Interestingly – almost exactly the same as last time – I obviously have developed a new speed, but still one pace-itis.
25:30
(47/121 W; 199/341 overall) – quite pleased to finally be moving out of the bottom 20% of the field run performance-wise!

Total time: 1:14:43 (10/121W; 68/341 overall)
That puts me 10th overall amongst the women (very pleased with that); 3rd in W40+ AG (1min 15 separating the top 4); 68th overall.

Need to get back to some sort of proper training now - all this racing has rather dented any sort of useful schedule...

Fluffy is currently living indoors in the study, as when I got back, the BAT had managed to fix the Mustang sufficiently to get it back into the garage, but being Californian, and having spent a night outdoors in the rain, it apparently needs a lot of drying/tlc. My turbo fan has been stolen to help with air circulation, and there are numerous fan heaters and a dehumidifier in place too...
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Re: Thames Turbo #3 - 26/5/14

Postby Worrying Will » 27 May 2014 11:28

Another Cracker CCS.
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Postby Jack Hughes » 27 May 2014 11:44

You monster!

And a nice report (for a girl)!
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Bopomofo » 27 May 2014 12:48

So, even including having to get off and walk, you are averaging over 34kph on the bike.

Then running at 5:00/km

And your swim wasn't exactly shabby.

Excellent work, CCS. Rather like the Northern Witch you are showing how much x-training benefit your running gets from working damned hard on the bike.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby kfjatek » 27 May 2014 13:08

Awesome result, yet again.

Have you ever thought of going for AG national team qualification maybe? That would be a lovely tick in the box for you... ;-)

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby CCS » 27 May 2014 15:20

kfjatek wrote:Have you ever thought of going for AG national team qualification maybe? That would be a lovely tick in the box for you... ;-

I did think about it a while back - but am just not a good enough runnerist.
Anyway, suspect that exit pass for foreign racing might be v. difficult to secure, and if I had that much spare cash, think I might want to invest it in a power meter? (though might change my mind if running keeps on a roll)
CCS

Postby King Sad » 27 May 2014 21:19

Well done Clare :D

Just a question socks as well? Have you thought of doing without for a Sprint?

Anyway - damn fine effort - Fluffy certainly likes to play :D Well done
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby jonathon.e » 28 May 2014 08:11

kfjatek wrote:Awesome result, yet again.

Have you ever thought of going for AG national team qualification maybe? That would be a lovely tick in the box for you... ;-)

:ugeek:

Another great result, well done.

The ITU/ETU sprint qualifier is this weekend at Nottingham, might be a touch too late to register your intentions with the BTF and enter, but with a course that is probably similar to The ones you race on, it may be worth a thought for next year, all it takes is an extra couple of quid on top of the standard entry to register your intentions and you can always turn it down, racing for your country isn't compulsory if you qualify.

Windsor will be interesting, with your high level of fitness, your race reports and training display both modesty and honesty, which perhaps make you believe you that you are not as good as you actually are. Very talented, is what you are, believe it.
Your Windsor tactics may need a little thought.
Do you race it as a triathlon, and reduce the bike speed to save some for the run.
Or,
TT the bike leg, and sod the consequences, a good example of the cyclist ruining the triathlon is Phillip Graves, he knows he is the strongest rider, wants to show he is, but wastes too much energy and drops on the run, but if he gets more money for the Bike prime time than for his race placing, it makes money so be it.

Maybe keep your race cards to yourself, there will be enough jokers out there any way.

Once again, cracking race
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby CCS » 28 May 2014 14:38

King Sad wrote:Just a question socks as well? Have you thought of doing without for a Sprint?

Always socks.
Think my trainers would be too big without them.
Doesn't seem to make my transitions too slow (top 15% of the field even with stop for sockage... yes, I am a bit sad, and did analyse those stats)- though if I was really looking to shave off the final few seconds, perhaps I might try without (but think there are still a lot more gains to be made through decent training & technique improvement).
CCS

Postby CCS » 28 May 2014 14:44

jonathon.e wrote:Your Windsor tactics may need a little thought.

What... more than the current plan of minimal breakfast and try not to vomit?
Until the experience of Eton the other weekend, I would have definitely gone for giving it everything on the bike... not so sure now (though to be fair, the notion of holding back on the bike as alien to me... it usually takes the addition of some sort of obstacle like a hill to make me back off...).
There is also the added temptation of Tritans-baiting (some tempting Drift road segments to try for)...
Must dig out the wetsuit again, and schedule some time in the murky lake for a bit more OW acclimatisation (though may be difficult to arrange, as BAT is working abroad quite a bit at the moment)
CCS

Next

Return to Race Reports