Etape Caledonia

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

Etape Caledonia

Postby S11 » 12 May 2014 13:46

Where: Pitlochry
When: 11th May
Organiser: Marie Curie Etape
Distance(s): 81 Miles (Closed Roads)
Marshalling: Plenty, very friendly. Traffic control
Facilities: N/A
Freebies: Medal and a bottle of water

I will start off by saying that as Sportives go – this is by far the best one I’ve ridden in. The Etape has had a lot history but the locals have really taken to this now and looks like it is very well received within the Perth and Kinross community.

Before going into the specifics – for some reason I was buzzing for this. Its been on my radar for years and only through concentrating on cycling was I able to do it this year. However, I had only cycled over 50miles once this year so it could go one of two ways – good day or bad....time would tell.
Having prepped the Kuota with a new headset, cassette and chain, then rocked up the Reynolds 66mm onto it....it looked like a weapon....mmmmm

I elected to stay the night before and after the debacle of the Andy C race pack I got to the hotel at 5pm...got some food and then bed...or so I thought. Apart from being wide awake and a bloody wedding on...I got about 3hrs sleep max...wasn’t really bothered mind you. Got to the carpark in plenty time and met up with Andy. My biggest quandary was clothing – the forecast was decent so in the end I went with wicking layer, jersey and gillet - good choice.
The event start was a shambles....just a shambles and it was one of those things where with a bit better organisation it would be massively better – basically in wave J and I actually started with wave O or something like that – which meant even more in front of me.
So managed to get off and the first mile or so was basically weaving in and out of the traffic – I made the decision to ride with Andy. The first 20 miles were pretty uneventful – rolling hills and trying to stay out trouble from those that were seriously weaving all over the place. My nutrition strategy was simple – no gels and all liquids. I wanted to see if I can do 100miles on pure liquids – I think I can do that on the basis of this ride.
Eventually on descent, there are some crackers in this event, I eventually broke away from Andy and pushed on around the loch – which according to Strava was a 35km segment which was done in 1hr 2mins – so had I really pushed that who knows where I would have been as my intention was to keep power between 200-240w. The second aid station was approaching and I need to top up my drinks, since we were at the 41mile I decided to stop – I was also bursting for a pee. I did see Andy C pass by when I getting back on the bike – so I decided to push on and overtake him again – however fast approaching was the Kom segment – this was pure evil and for whatever reason my decision to switch back to a 25-12 came back to haunt me big time.
The first part of the hill was about 11% and it was fine, I was spinning up – this is where I had hoped the Steven V Hills training would work and it was working...till I turned the corner it ramped up again..I then saw Andy and passed him – think he had a mechanical on the hill but ploughed on as I was holding some good numbers. Although my ave speed dropped from 20mph to circa 18.5mph. Eventually the hills passed and it was time for fun.
I have to say, for this reason alone you want to see this descent – it last for ages and is massive fun. Good switchback and long straights. I had a 66mm on the front which made it even better- very twitchy – just absolute joy to be one. Maxed it out at 42mph, which would have been quicker but for one reason – those unable to hold a racing line. There was a few times I had to scrub speed and completely move lines...but hey ho.....Descending it fun....
At the end of the descent, it was a 90 shift in direction and the return for home – which was into the wind. Luckily it was a light wind but I was noticing my power dropping, at this point I realised I hadn’t drunk anything for 30mins so I necked half a bottle before I started to feel a bit better...for the avoidance of doubt – Zipvit Energy drink is rotten.
The next 20miles again very uneventful, just plodding along and eventually Ave Spd was back at 19mph – the huge hill really hammered it down so it was hard trying to recover it, however it was power I was interested in and trying to hold on the sweetspot – which I managed all day.
There was a proper sting in the tail – 4 miles from home. There was a sign saying select easiest gear now – they weren’t kidding – this thing was short but fooock me at 75 miles in hammered my legs....took me 5 mins of spinning to recover from it – it was then undulating but I then got caught up for a good few mins when a whole host of bikes were strewn across the road with two guys lying a ditch – clearly touched wheels and brought everyone down, nothing I could do and ambulance called for so I moved on - the last few miles were ridiculous – my legs were shot to pieces and the hills were short but very steep – it was then a matter of climb then coast....eventually back to race start...off bike and recover.

Loved the event – its expensive but for me it was charity- £550 raised so thank you to everyone who donated, I really appreciate.

The target for me was to see how I would feel and my power readings. Given that I had only ridden over 50miles once I was very pleased with the effort. Had I not taken it so easy on the first 20miles and not been caught at the end at that crash then I reckon I would have been close to the 3hr 50 mark, which would be decent effort over 81miles.....then the guy who came first clock 3hrs 26mins.....incredible.
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Re: Etape Caledonia

Postby AndyC » 12 May 2014 14:08

That KOM was brutal and as you said the short steep hills near the end was torture. I think if I had no mechanical problems I would of be 10-15 mins quicker def not under the 4hrs.

Sorry for holding you back at the start :p

Will be pre registering for 2015
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do I have to?

Stirling Duathlon
London Marathon
StaffordShire 70.3
Outlaw

AndyC
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby S11 » 12 May 2014 14:51

No need to apologise - you weren't holding me back at all. It was good to chat - that would have been good prep for you for IMUK as that hill was harder than Sheephouse Lane
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Postby King Sad » 12 May 2014 19:13

Well done, great achievement :D
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby kfjatek » 13 May 2014 09:11

Sounds like one to put on the list of events to do - one day..

Well done S11!

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 13 May 2014 12:18

Sounds like a great ride. An impressive performance, you're going to be a demon on the bike this year it seems!Well done
Sir Jibbenstein

Postby gingertri » 21 Jun 2014 17:43

Good job well done! Clean chain no snappage haha

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
gingertri

Return to Race Reports