Battle of the Dinosaurs Stage 5 - Skipton Triathlon

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

Re: Battle of the Dinosaurs Stage 5 - Skipton Triathlon

Postby Jack Hughes » 08 Apr 2014 07:27

If my maths are correct, then, after 5 stages and 7 events we have:

01 Jack Hughes 0:03:53:57.1
02 Jon.e +00:13:52.90
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby CCS » 08 Apr 2014 09:03

Great work - love these tales of dastardly rivalry.
Great performances from both (but imagine not taking a towel!!! :shock: )
Much as I hate to admit it, I think Jack was let down by having too many shoes
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby Jack Hughes » 08 Apr 2014 09:42

CCS wrote:Much as I hate to admit it, I think Jack was let down by having too many shoes

You are right. Jon.e had some of the fastest transition times in the whole field. His T2 was fourth fastest, with a 21, 29, and 30 seconds. However, the 21 was a relay, so doesn't count. The people with the 29 and 30 second times were doing the run in 16:56, and 18:14, and there was a good bit of running - say 100m from gate to gate. They would have been a lot faster. I would have captured the excellence on camera if it had been working :). Most of T1 was swamped by the uphill 200m (felt like 400m) run from the pool.

jon.e has this secret weapon that I've never seen before. Together with the crafty trick of just dumping the bike at the first available slot, makes for a huge difference. As there is so much running through transition involved in this course, it is ideal.

The use of trainers probably cost about 0.02 seconds on the bike, but gained 2-3 minutes in transition. The statement "tell me you weren't using trainers [on the bike]" creates a sonic boom of ignorance.

However, my transitions times weren't that bad: T2: 356/618 - so not far off the middle of the field. T1: (where I lost the minute: 311/618 - mainly because I ran (relatively) quickly), it's rather than jon.e's are just brilliant. Knowing the course, choosing the right approach, choosing the right kit. Simple is also good - Jon.e had less opportunity to make mistakes, because he had few parameters.

jon.e: 1 change of shoes at the start of the run
Me: 2 changes of shoes + barefoot run.
Others: 3 changes of shoes

Jon.e: Use of pockets in tri suit for stashing goggles and belt.
me: No pockets in the club tri suit that I have. This is possibly an issue.
others: I took a photo of one guy wearing speedos and carrying a kit bag running through transition (from pool to bike). Spotted a pannier rack or two - but no one was actually using panniers.

jon.e: Special pedal adaptors for trainers. These are basically big metal things that look more like that boot attachments on skins - full coverage of all trainer to provide a whole-foot rigid platform analogous to the rigid sole on a bike shoe. The trainer is slotted into this, and locked in. So it becomes like a bike shoe but with a very padded insert. However... if I was to use by extremely minimal racing flats...
jh: Put SPD pedals on the bike, as the runs are long and across a muddy field. Very cyclocross. I would have carried the bike, but not sure if it was allowed (suspect it probably isn't). Need to check that. There's probably a good minute of running with the bike (even with jon.e's sling it technique).

Basically, jon.e had NOTHING in transition except bike+helmet.

I had a one or two pairs of shoes, goggles, number belt and a water bottle. Still fairly minimal - no box, no towel, no picnic, no bag.
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby jonathon.e » 08 Apr 2014 12:12

A big thank you to Jack for combining the race reports as always and for a great day out on Sunday.

Carrying the bike was an option I considered, but with no tread on the trainers and a slippy down hill slope, I opted for bike push rather than carry.

No harm done on the face plant, just got slightly winded, and something for the spectators to snigger at.

Jacks SPD choice was good due to the terrain around transition, and speeded up his transition, quite a few muddy slides where some had gone bare foot down the hill, if the weather had gone as forecast, then the it would have either been hilarious or treacherous.

The close result was purely just through racing smartly.

It also shows that good results come from training smartly and not through training load.

My swim time was down from last time, mainly because I was IM training last time, and haven't really done much for the last couple of months.

Great race, looking forward to the others.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Jack Hughes » 08 Apr 2014 12:17

What I particularly like in jon.e's approach, is going beyond thinking about it as a swim, bike, run, as we always do, but thinking about it as an individual and specific race.. i.e. adapting techniques to right here, right now, on this bit of ground, with this weather.

That is deep thinking.
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 08 Apr 2014 12:55

Great report. Exciting rading. Great racing and a great result Jon!

Jack Hughes wrote:The rest were round bikes.

What are these round bikes you speak of? Still riding penny farthings up there? Are the locals going to wonder what these fancy bikes with same size wheels are when the tour arrives in town?
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Jack Hughes » 08 Apr 2014 13:21

Sir Jibbenstein wrote:Great report. Exciting rading. Great racing and a great result Jon!

Jack Hughes wrote:The rest were round bikes.

What are these round bikes you speak of? Still riding penny farthings up there? Are the locals going to wonder what these fancy bikes with same size wheels are when the tour arrives in town?

Aahh yes. Maybe "road" is the word I was blushingly groping for. Corrected!
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Previous

Return to Race Reports