It IS all about the bike: CCS 2014

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

It IS all about the bike: CCS 2014

Postby CCS » 21 Jan 2014 12:24

Another year, another log....

I suppose that now that 2014 is in full swing, and I am starting to plan races etc, that I really ought to start some proper training, and I have found over the last couple of years that logging it (or the lack thereof) has been quite a useful tool – if nothing else for tracking my massive swings in mojo, and the impact that this has on training and results.

It’s all been a bit busy work-wise so far this year, so now finally just getting round to starting a log – though training has already kicked off.

As ever, the year didn’t start on a great note – was completely unable to leave my bed until around 10pm on New Year’s day – I think a combination of total exhaustion from mass catering efforts over the festive period, and perhaps the odd light beverage on New Year’s eve (I do vaguely recall breaking out the homemade liqueurs, starting with Sloe Gin; moving on to Christmas Spirit (essence of Christmas in a glass) and finishing off with Bah Humbug (also essence of Christmas in a glass, but from a rather different angle)) – never again.

Aims:
Well this year is all about the TT.
I have signed up for the inaugural SEWTTS series http://www.sewtts.co.uk/ – best 5 results from a series of TTs across the south east to count towards a season result. Great idea – riders are categorised by previous performance, so you are competing against others of a similar standard, and loads of people have signed up, so there may well be up to 120 ladies racing at some of the events.
So far, have entered:
G25/47 on 6/4/14
H50/8 on 11/5/14
Will also probably do
H10/8 on 24/5/14
H10/8 on 28/6/14
Richmond park TT sometime in July
H25/8 on 16/8/14
A bit Bentley centric – but it is easy to get to...
Will also do whatever club evening 10s I can fit in (and hope to get back to HCC175 for at least one attempt at a really fast time).
Goal is for a 23 on a 10; as close to the hour as I can get on a 25; and to survive a 50!

Triathlon plans are a bit more vague:
Windsor and Eton supersprints are entered already.
Will probably do 2 or 3 Thames Turbo races (maybe with the BAT – though slightly dependent on availability of childcare) – and otherwise, maybe some ad hoc local races (Thorpe lake or Thorpe Park, if the weather looks good and I am feeling positive the week before – this approach seems to have served me well last season – I enjoy racing, and more so it would appear when it is all a bit last minute and low stress).
May also try to find another late season Oly to do.
Definitely nothing long this year (though a couple of training buddies are suggesting Vachery half...)

Training is focused around 2 turbo interval sessions a week, based on Trainer Roads 40km TT plan (with all the recovery and other rides taken out), supplemented by whatever riding on the road I can fit in around weather/work/life.
Running - aiming for 3 plods a week (so in reality, probably 2)
Swimming - probably stick with my usual post bootcamp swim & coffee session at Surrey Sports park - we were all very entertained there last week to see the GB synchronised swim team training, and then loads of fit Quins rugby players coming in for a swim (before we realised that we shouldn't ogle, all being old enough to be their mothers, and they probably would see us as mad leery old ladies!)

This week:
Mon 20/1: Turbo – Trainer Road English http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/642740-English
Turbo is now relegated to the BAT’s luxury man shed – has its own mezzanine level, with TV and DVD (though I still have to carry a lot of rubbish out there with me to ride, such as laptop, warm clothes etc) – currently working my way through some quality TV drama of yesteryear box sets – House of Cards at the moment, I think Edge of Darkness next...
I think these short interval sessions are slowly getting more manageable – though not sure that I am putting out any more power – they just hurt slightly less.
Tues 21/1: Run http://www.strava.com/activities/107941102
11.1km in 1:03:42.
Very cold (thermal top & leggings, jacket& gloves) and foggy, so decided to sneak into work late to avoid morning traffic jams, and use an hour for good rather than evil. Running feeling OK-ish, though top of left hamstring seems to be a bit chronic – hence a decision not to do a half marathon this year, as it seems to be just about manageable if I don’t run much further than this, and do loads of stretching & foam rollering.

Inwards and upwards... enough work avoidance for this morning... better go and pretend to be an expert in Tax and Statutory requirements for rolling out financial systems to China...
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Re: It IS all about the bike: CCS 2014

Postby scibby » 21 Jan 2014 20:43

Yay, you're back with a log...

Haha, yes the Quins are amazing, I must admit its the highlight of my post-ballet * coffee... They're sooooo big. Elsa actually stopped and said "wooooow is that a giant?". Luckily he saw the funny side!

*sproglet, of course...
15/06. Windsor Sprint
2-7/07. Les Stables
03/08. Guildford Sportive. 100km
06/09. Sundowner Sprint. Needs BAT approval
28/09. Hever Olympic
12/10. Malta Champs? Needs BAT approval.
scibby

Postby CCS » 22 Jan 2014 15:44

scibby wrote:Yay, you're back with a log...

Haha, yes the Quins are amazing, I must admit its the highlight of my post-ballet * coffee... They're sooooo big. Elsa actually stopped and said "wooooow is that a giant?". Luckily he saw the funny side!

*sproglet, of course...

Mmmmmm.... Quins.....
CCS

Postby CCS » 22 Jan 2014 15:52

Wed 22/1 - Not actively raining; not foggy; no ice; day off - must be time to get out on the bike! Second attempt at the route I had planned for last week http://www.strava.com/activities/108184638 - this time successful - roads closed last time due to flooding were open.
102.9km in 3:55:22 - very rare to find me riding longer than 100km!
Nice flat route, though did come across one little blip signed as 20% - which I don't believe for a minute. Measurement of hills must work differently in the flatlands.
As ever, my legs fell off at around the 2.5hrs mark.
Must go and make myself do tax return...
CCS

Postby jonathon.e » 22 Jan 2014 16:21

Not sure what I would hate most, the tax return or the 20% hill, good work.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby CCS » 24 Jan 2014 16:54

Ouch - that ride really took it out of me... was sooo tired on Wednesday night that I felt drunk; couldn't walk straight etc.

Thurs 23/1 - TR - Stevens http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/653608-Stevens. I really dread my Thursday intervals, which are longer sessions (5 * 6 mins in this case) - and it didn't bode well when my legs were tired and arse painful even in the warm up - but actually, this wasn't too bad - just about survived, though couldn't quite hit target on the last couple of intervals - but at a lower max HR that the slightly easier Jobs session last week, so heading in the right direction.

Motivated by the arrival of the CTT handbook yesterday - and I realise that I have omitted a couple of items from my season plan (if all goes well in the early part of the season) - National 25 on 1 Aug, and National 10 on 30 Aug (if I am brave enough and can qualify...)

Fri 24/1 - Bootcamp (ouch); followed by swim - 2.2km in 1 hr (allowing for plenty of chat and miscounting of sets). AT David Lloyd rather than Surrey Sports Park this week, so no Quins this time ( :( ), but nice empty pool, till the aqua ladies arrived, and started churning things up (OW simulation?)
CCS

Postby Jack Hughes » 24 Jan 2014 17:10

But what about the tax return?

National TTT in June !
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Tritans » 26 Jan 2014 12:42

Wow national 25 & 10's, excellent, hold your nerve and do it. Will be great experience.

Penned in the finest quill from The Royal County.
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

Postby jonathon.e » 26 Jan 2014 13:39

Wow, the Nationals, brilliannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnt :D
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby CCS » 27 Jan 2014 10:30

Sat 25/1 - Rest.
Who am I kidding? I actually headed down to judo with youngest child in full running gear - but I was really tired after a bad night's sleep, and my good knee was really hurting on the drive down there, so actually, I headed out for a run; made it all of 100m; decided that my knee hurt and my left hamstring was tight (both of which I know would actually have been OK once warm after a few minutes) - was overcome by a big dose of lethargy, and abandoned the idea of running. :oops:

Sun 26/1 - Swim.
2500m (I think) in 57:25 - was meant to be 2600, but despite help of Poolmate, totally miscounted a couple of times (very out of practice at this swimming lark). Felt quite good - managed some very consistent (actually getting progressively quicker) pacing on the main set of 6*200m. Really not used to the chlorine though - still streaming snot and sneezing loads today (apologies to all those sitting around me)!
Did toy with the idea of an 8 min test on the turbo earlier in the day - but looked at the target power I should be aiming for, and the very thought of holding that for 8 mins (twice) made me realise that my head just wasn't in the right place to give it a go...

Still, quite a good week overall.

I am also booked in to take the TT bike on a trip back to its spiritual home oop north for a bit of a follow up bike fit (in the vain hope of getting more aero and finding a bit of free speed) - exciting!

Other thought for the day is that I really need to make a concerted effort to give up sugar. Slightly brought home to me through the consumption of a can of that San Pellegrino orange stuff at school quiz night on Friday (which despite claiming to be all full of mineral water & fruit juice, it would also appear is as laden with sugar as coke) - left me feeling really awful (cold sweat etc) later on. All this 'accidentally leaving a family sized bag of Haribo in my desk at work, then scoffing the whole thing for breakfast" has to stop - it can't be good for me, and is increasingly making me feel really crap, both physically, and on the self loathing front.
CCS

Next

Return to Training Logs