It IS all about the bike: CCS 2014

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: It IS all about the bike: CCS 2014

Postby Ewan » 06 Sep 2014 11:12

@Kwerty, I vary from around 60/40 during some light recovery pedalling to 45/55 for hard climbing efforts. For training this would make quantifying my efforts quite difficult if I only had 1leg x2 power. During races my power is more or less spot on 50/50 so just for racing 1 leg power would probably be sufficient for me but since it is primarily a training tool - I'm glad I have 2 leg power.

If I was buying now I'd buy one of the old style P2M which are on sale at the moment.
Ewan

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby CCS » 06 Sep 2014 11:17

I had heard that the vectors are difficult to calibrate (and thought this needs to be done every time you swap them over), and a bit delicate...

Definitely have found that virtual power has been really useful for interval sessions, and I have definitely made some good gains based on a having a bit more structure to training (rather than just going out when time permits and riding as hard as I can for an hour or two, with all the breaks that traffic; road conditions etc provide). What I now want is some sort of way of comparing what I do in training with what happens in a race (and in fact on the road in general). I do TT a lot on the same courses - but there are so many variables (wind in particular) - so would be really useful to have some sort of measure of whether I am actually putting in a lot of effort while slogging along into a headwind, or whether it just feels like I am. I think it would also be useful to bring a bit more structure to what I do in training out on the road - rather than having a bit of a random pootle along.

It's all soooo complicated!!!

Absolutely shattered today. Ought to have gone for a morning lake swim (and was awake early enough thanks to the calls of 'stripey shouty cat' from next door); then ought to have gone running during junior judo... but feel like I have been hit by a bus. Still, have small child's birthday party to look forward to this afternoon.... oh joy!!!

IanM wrote:I'll try and put together a more in depth post about my thoughts on training with power and the potential PM benefits (of which there are many) over the weekend.

Will be really interested to read this!

Very interesting debate on the 1 vs 2 leg stuff... pretty sure I have a pathetic left leg - but not sure if it is consistently so... I do have a couple of friends with Wattbikes though - perhaps I ought to negotiate having a go, and seeing how I stack up at different intensity levels...

I guess I also need to further consider whether I really need to be able to swap power measurement between bikes - or whether just having something on the race bike/turbo is enough. Looking at stats so far this year, the road bike has accounted for a bit over a third of my total mileage (though I guess quite a bit of this is social riding).... hmmmm......
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby Worrying Will » 06 Sep 2014 14:40

Very interesting reading as I was thinking about power today. And how it works.

I think to side is important as it will help identify weakness. I want to train with power but we'll never be able to afford it and in reality I don't get any of the stuff. But then I don't get hesrt zones either.
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Postby Kevy427 » 06 Sep 2014 15:59

CCS, why don't you hire a Wattbike for a while?
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby CCS » 11 Sep 2014 10:02

So.... the kids are back at school; youngest's 9th birthday celebrations are done with, and I really should be back on track with training....

Mon 8/9: Run. New Monday routine involves mad rush from office to pick up youngest from school and take her to gymnastics. As the gymnastics club is next door to the gym, it seemed like sensible use of time to try and do some intervals on the treadmill in the vain hope of developing some speed. Managed 4 * 400m @ 13kpm, with 1:30 walking recovery in between before I really felt that I might vomit (too much lunch too late in the day?). Not quite sure how Mondays will pan out from here - as Monday is normally turbo intervals night while the BAT is at judo.

Tues 9/9: Turbo. http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/1112569-8-Minute-Test. Sneaky morning turbo, as working from home. Decided a FTP test was in order, but obviously failed to check tyre pressure / roller tightness or something, as TR gave me an improbably high score!!! Doing a bit of experimenting with ways to keep the power up over longer intervals, and keep my wandering attention focussed. A few things to try out in my final TT of the season on the 20th...

Wed 10/9: Forced to cancel a ladies' social coffee & cake ride to Box Hill, as forced into the office (waste of time.... must learn to say no on my days off). Home early in a grump, but managed to sneak in a quick run before picking up youngest from school http://www.strava.com/activities/192636757. Felt very tired from yesterday's turbo, so pretty pleased that I can still hit a sub 25 min 5km. Really ought to have been swimming in the morning, as it was my last chance for a bit of open water before Saturday's tri - but BAT in Belgium, so running childcare instead. Feeling woefully ill prepared... I think strategy will be a poor swim; kill myself on the bike; then see what I can hold together on the run. It's going to be a horrible early start too (suspect I need to leave here around 4:30 am)!

Off for a bike shortly, but weather a bit grey, so employing delaying tactics (and guess I ought to make it an easy one so as not to wear myself out before the weekend).

Still need to try and work out what my real objectives are for next year. If I want to TT properly, then perhaps I need to manage more one and a bit turbo interval sessions, and a social pootle around the Surrey Hills every week... but does that mean that there isn't time for triathlon and/or social riding. Need to give it some thought.
Also need to perhaps get more consistent running in between now and March, in order to be able to put the dreaded half marathon to bed forever.
CCS

Postby Jack Hughes » 11 Sep 2014 13:47

IanM wrote:One other option - Garmin have just announced the Vector S - single sided Vector for slightly more than Stages which can be upgraded to dual sided by purchasing the extra pedal. .

And now these. $399 - single or double (assume the $399 is for single).

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/09/4iii ... ision.html

Might be out in time for Christmas (not sure which year though). They are claim this quarter (i.e. before Christmas).
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby IanM » 11 Sep 2014 13:54

And these: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/09/brot ... ction.html

Consistency seems a bit out, based on DCRM's first ride, but that might be pre production issues that get solved before release...
IanM

Postby Jack Hughes » 11 Sep 2014 14:22

Gives me an excuse not to spend any money.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby IanM » 11 Sep 2014 16:50

YAPM... but this one might be right up CCS's street!

http://road.cc/content/news/130089-luck ... wer-meters
IanM

Postby CCS » 11 Sep 2014 17:14

IanM wrote:YAPM... but this one might be right up CCS's street!

http://road.cc/content/news/130089-luck ... wer-meters

Why on earth would you thing that? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Would still need 2 pairs to measure power on road bike vs TT (due to inability to standardise on one pedal system)...
They don't shoe any pictures of the actual shoes either (which, let's face it, is the most important bit!).

Pleasant morning spent in the flatlands http://www.strava.com/activities/192976605 - Mr Tansley may not be best pleased! :lol: :lol: :lol:
CCS

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs