It IS all about the bike: CCS 2014

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: It IS all about the bike: CCS 2014

Postby Worrying Will » 13 Sep 2014 12:11

Well done/Good Luck
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Postby CCS » 13 Sep 2014 13:31

jonathon.e wrote:
CCS wrote:Shocker.
Poor swim (expected); traffic impeded bike; piss poor run; garmin user error

Sent using some sort of new fangled technology

That would translate as an Age Group podium then ?? In understated Clare speak.

No. Safe to say I was genuinely a bit crap today. Full RR accompanied by much wailing & gnashing of teeth to follow (after 88 mile sportive in France tomorrow)

Sent using some sort of new fangled technology
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby Kevy427 » 13 Sep 2014 15:08

CCS wrote:after 88 mile sportive in France tomorrow

Enjoy! :lol: Croissants, brioche and baguettes all from Tesco UK. Really French...
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby CCS » 13 Sep 2014 16:22

Kevy427 wrote:
CCS wrote:after 88 mile sportive in France tomorrow

Enjoy! :lol: Croissants, brioche and baguettes all from Tesco UK. Really French...

Make a nice change riding on the wrong side of the road at least.
BAT was complaining that we never cycle together - hence a bit of a jaunt tomorrow (though the amount of Mandering that has just taken place in the man shed makes be wonder how long his bike will hold together...)
CCS

Postby Tritans » 13 Sep 2014 16:32

Drop him on the hills, he wont make that mistake again :-)

Penned in the finest quill from The Royal County.
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

Postby CCS » 15 Sep 2014 12:09

Well, not sure that the BAT will fall for another of my cycling jaunts again...
No mechanicals (though Champ was making some very odd rattling noises.... had obviously been leaning up against the BAT's bike in the car / ferry and some of the Mandering had rubbed off) - but the last 30km or so was totally against the wind, and included a couple of climbs, so I acted as wind break most of the way. One embarrassing moment though, as I trundled happily along, and a bloke we had been talking to in the car park came past, saying "I think you have lost your husband" :oops: (I had seen a glimpse of a red helmet behind, and assumed it was him on my wheel.... apparently not :oops:
I rather enjoyed the ride though....
CCS

Postby Jack Hughes » 15 Sep 2014 12:10

Time to try out a tandem!

You need to be on the front though.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby CCS » 21 Sep 2014 09:37

So, a final SEWTTS outing - this time a trek over to Newbury to try out H10/3a. Had been feeling really rubbish all week - I blame the children bringing germs back from school. Basically took the week off training; tried a turbo on Thursday, and that didn't (quite) kill me (though felt much worse on Friday), but given the complications of securing an exit pass, decided I would race. Logistics had been very stressful in the week. A month or two ago, eldest child had decided she wanted to do the Colour Run in Brighton with some friends. Told her that was fine, as long as she managed her own transport there, as I would be racing. 5 days before the event, and after I had sneakily pointed many family members in the direction of her sponsorship page, it transpires that the lift she thought she had arranged wasn't in fact going to work out. Cue a lot of stress... she decided it would be OK to get the train (... aged 13, and having no idea where Brighton station was... I think not...)... eventually, I manged to sort her out with a lift. Then she lost her race number... resulting in me having to rummage through the dustbins in the dead of night... it eventually turned up in her bombsite of a room...
Well, after all that, I had to race, didn't I? However, I knew it wouldn't be pretty, and that there was a severe danger of drowning in snot and catarrh.

Got to the course (via junior judo) - and went for a quick drive-by recce. Decidedly lumpy, and a lot of roadkill on the course - looked like pheasant strike would be a real risk! Noticed at HQ that the 2 starting behind me were both DNS - they had probably heard about the flying snot risk and decided to stay away :lol:
Anyway, got round in one piece http://www.strava.com/activities/197103661. Horrible hill on the way out; drag uphill most of the way home.
Interestingly, this course was used for the national 10 in 2009. My time would have given me 30/76 - so snot obviously wasn't holding me back too much, despite feeling like death. Fastest lady was Jasmijn Muller, who has been having an awesome season (her time would have put her 2nd in 2009!!). When I uploaded my Strava, saw that I got QOM on the nasty climb... thought 'that won't last', as I follow Jasmijn on Strava, and know that her upload would blow mine away... apparently not so - we are tied! Quite pleased with that - though suspect that as she is riding to power, she was going for even power across the ride, whereas I was in attack mode, especially as I overtook my 2 minute man (who it turns out was 80!) at the bottom.

Nice flapjack at HQ, and SEWTTS prizegiving, where I actually came away with a rather nice haul of prizes for Cat 3 (both event and series).

Still toying with Thorpe triathlon next weekend - but not feeling 100% still, so perhaps a rest is in order?

The power of google has turned up an interesting local challenge that I may have a go at if some nice weather presents itself on a day off: the Leith Hill Octopus. Seems to involve climbing Surrey's highest point from all (8) possible directions. Might be an interesting way to turn my legs to jelly?

Meanwhile, starting to formulate plans for 2015 ;)
CCS

Postby jonathon.e » 21 Sep 2014 10:35

Cracking at TT again.
Interesting Leith Hill challenge, similar to the Four Season Challenge for the Fred Whitton, any more similar ones out there?
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby IanM » 21 Sep 2014 11:51

Nice work CCS :)
IanM

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs