Poland conquered, now for the work of Vitruvius..

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: Poland conquered, now for the work of Vitruvius..

Postby kfjatek » 01 Aug 2014 10:16

scibby wrote:I'll be the first to say no, not yet... Maybe in a couple years...

What does a couple of years change?

scibby wrote:Does it make you wanna prove me wrong?

Nope. As I said, this is just silly hypothesising.

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Poland conquered, now for the work of Vitruvius..

Postby scibby » 01 Aug 2014 13:47

Well let's see. In one season you've gone from aiming for a 2:30 Oly (can't remember what you did, injured?) to achieving a 5:20ish half. In your first attempt.
Getting close to 4:30 (finding 50min) is not ludicrous if you break it down as:
- 25 min saved in the run... By being stronger running off bike, a nicer course, more experience...
- 5 min swim... Technique and strength.
- 5 min bike.... General fitness, power

What about kit? Buy a disc? More minutes saved...
Still a bit more blubber to lose = more minutes saved..
More experience racing = knowing exactly where your limits are = more minutes saved...

Is it a big target? Absolutely. Is it impossible? Dunno - you've made a massive leap in this year, it is unreasonable to expect another similar leap next year but you can't be at your peak after one season...

The other factor, of course, is having a willingness to stick it out, for the long haul. Balancing training, work, family and fun...

Ps I was attempting to wind you up in the post previous post!
15/06. Windsor Sprint
2-7/07. Les Stables
03/08. Guildford Sportive. 100km
06/09. Sundowner Sprint. Needs BAT approval
28/09. Hever Olympic
12/10. Malta Champs? Needs BAT approval.
scibby

Postby jonathon.e » 01 Aug 2014 13:56

kfjatek wrote:Some silly thinking on my behalf lately.

70.3 Worlds are in Austria next year. As a result, most European 70.3 races have nearly double the qualifying spots up for grabs. Would need a sub-4:30 time to get there though.

Achievable?

Discuss.

Achievable, yes, but you need to play the odds to your favour, marginal gains etc.
Choose the right course, that plays to your strengths, I guess you would be entering the one in Staffordshire ?
Choose the right course at the right time of year ( look at the weather for the past couple of decades and play the odds )
Choose the right equipment.
Swim 30 mins
Bike 2h15m
Run 1h 35
Transitions 10 mins
Simples.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby kfjatek » 01 Aug 2014 14:45

So frankly I *don't* think it would be achievable.

I'd need a 30 min swim, 2:15 bike and 1:40 HM off the bike. That means 1:35/100m average swim pace, 40kph average bike speed and 4:45 km pacing on the run.

Running is by far the weakest link for me. But also the area where I could potentially make most progress. Ironically, I think it's the bike that would let me down - it would be seriously hard to get a 40kph average speed over 90km.

jonathon.e wrote:Choose the right course, that plays to your strengths, I guess you would be entering the one in Staffordshire ?

Not necessarily - one of the later races in continental Europe might be better - e.g. Aarhus. Who needs to be at the Worlds will have qualified by then, you'd imagine, so more roll-down possibilities.

Except it's all hypothesising and I won't be doing it.

2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek

Postby kfjatek » 01 Aug 2014 14:47

scibby wrote:In one season you've gone from aiming for a 2:30 Oly (can't remember what you did, injured?) to achieving a 5:20ish half.

2:45, walking the run.

2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek

Postby Jack Hughes » 02 Aug 2014 08:45

18 minute 5k or 40 min 10k You should be able to do that
57 minute 25 mile TT. You should be able to that.
6 min 400m swim. Can do this already?

Do that and you stand a good chance. :)
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby kfjatek » 29 Aug 2014 10:38

Right. Less than 24hrs before the Vitruvian, so high time for a reality check ahead of the race.

Frankly, I'm of mixed minds about it. Some factors:

- I'm getting heavier again. Work & work-related stress have kicked in lately and adherence to fitnat has been a bit hit-and-miss. 4kg heavier than I was ahead of Poland in May.
- Mojo's been well, let's say *mixed* after Poland. June was largely lost to prolonged recovery (incl. illness) and while I got pumped up again with the visit in Les Stables, I'd say motivation has been drifting sideways since then.
- Training consistency has gone down over the last couple of months. Health, work, lack of motivation, the lot.
- Injuries are creeping up - particularly the hamstring / hip combo likes to rear its head, which could impact the run tomorrow.

All that said, on a good day I can still be quite quick, even if not exactly Poland-quick. Had a few very good long bike & run sessions in the last couple of weeks (http://www.strava.com/activities/184129580, http://www.strava.com/activities/181176174), so seems like I'm actually capable of throwing in a pretty good performance. Guess all will depend on how I feel on the day.

Keeping all that in mind, here's what I think is possible (on a good day) vs. likely:

Swim: 33:00 / 36:00
I've slowed down since Poland, mainly due to shoulder pain in training. Still, on a good day around 33 mins should be possible.

Bike: 2:30:00 / 2:40:00
Route is slightly shorter than PL I think, but also lumpier. Many say The Ripple is not as tough as some think, but having done it last month I think it's tougher than many say. With a few more kilos to haul up the hill it'll definitely sting, especially on the second lap. Wind may be a bit of an issue too. So - TBC.

Run: 1:45:00 / 1:55:00
Injury-allowing, my running form is actually better than it was in Poland. And, the course is much more digestible here as well (flat, even surface, etc.). This is also where I blew up in PL, so truth will be in the pudding on this.

T1 + T2: 5:00
Transitions generally shorter than they were in Poland, and I should be able to find some time there too - have been practicing the half-flying mount since France and am getting comfortable doing it, so will have a go at it. Fewer things to put on / take off too - number belt under wetsuit, helmet visor vs. shades, etc. Should be pretty fast.

Summing these times up, bar any unforeseen circumstances (mechanical, cataclysmic weather, fundamental lack of mojo on the day) I expect to land somewhere in the 5:15 region. If stars align - and they rarely do - I could squeeze it under 5hrs (which would make me ecstatic). Whatever happens though, I intend to really enjoy the race and take the atmosphere in - to remind myself why I love doing this in the first place.

2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek

Postby IanM » 29 Aug 2014 16:57

Have a great race Artur. Watch for cross winds on the Ripple descents, but other than that you should be fine - I've done it comfortably, carrying more weight than you. Remember there's a cheeky hill on the run, but you only do it once per leg. Just a shame it's so early on the start of the run...

The atmosphere is fantastic, soak it up and enjoy the day, and what will be will be :)
IanM

Postby Worrying Will » 29 Aug 2014 21:38

Good luck and go smash it.
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Postby Worrying Will » 29 Aug 2014 21:46

Just checked my times from 2012. You will be quicker than that on the bike.

It's a great course and the most from the finish line is great.
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs