Big Show Begins Again

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Big Show Begins Again

Postby Big_Show » 16 Sep 2013 20:56

The 2014 season starts here.
2013's been a pretty miserable year for several reasons; one of which was suffering a series of unrelated sequential injuries just as the last one was healing, which led to me deciding to quit triathlon and exercise in general on at least three separate occasions. I didn't do a single race after March (and I shouldn't have run those), I was a DNS on at least three separate occasions, and I've managed to lose all of last year's endurance base as well as what speed I had achieved over the winter. In short, I am effectively now a newbie again, albeit one with the basic kit, a little bit of knowledge, and a shedload of bad habits already built in.

So I've decided to wipe the slate clean and start working towards my second rookie season. I look forward to setting post-30 PBs and then trying to beat them; if they happen to be faster than the ones I set in the last decade then so much the better, but if not I won't lost any sleep over it.

With all this in mind I have sketched out a rough idea of what I want to have a go at in 2014. The fine details will be decided closer to the time as I find out a) what weeks things like my summer holidays etc. fall, and b) what I can afford to enter before it fills up. I suspect the latter will be the bigger factor with some of the bigger races.

My targets for the rest of the year are this:

1) Injury Prevention - I want to stay in one piece for the year. I am currently still rehabbing an ankle I badly sprained last month and I'm planning on attempting much more S&C-based programme with the aim of preventing the injuries before I get them, and making sure I back off when I see one approaching rather than trying to train through it.

2) Get some running form back - I've been a member of my local running club for the best part of a decade now and I've really missed not being able to attend the club sessions or run the races, both for the joy of running but also as the people there are a big part of my social life.

3) Shift some timber - the eternal struggle for the previous extreme lardarse. It's been creeping back on over the last six months and I want to get rid of it once and for all. I know from past experience I can get rid of it for a while, but I want to make some changes that will keep it off for longer. Everything feels so much easier when I'm under 15st; at the moment I'm 15 stone 9.5lbs. This will have to change.

I've decided to start putting all this in a training log again as I find the act of writing it lends more focus to my efforts, as well as providing some accountability and critical feedback (if anybody actually bothers reading my ramblings :lol: ). Hopefully it'll do the same this time as well. My name will be also be properly lit up again after payday next week.

----------------------------------------

To kick it all off, today I went for a 5.4M run in 42:35 @ 7:53/mile pace. My foot felt a bit sore to begin with but gradually eased off and became more flexible. This evening I did the rehab exercises to increase the flexibility, and judging by the last few attempts at running it will feel slightly better when I try again later in the week. Nothing more than easy runs in straight lines on stable surfaces until I'm certain everything's better though.

Hitting the gym tomorrow morning, then spending the rest of my day helping looking after my 17 month-old niece. From past experience I can safely say the latter will probably burn many more calories than the first :lol:
Big_Show

Re: Big Show Begins Again

Postby kfjatek » 16 Sep 2013 21:35

Good to see you back buddy. Good luck with your objectives!

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby jonathon.e » 17 Sep 2013 06:45

15st 9.5lbs, you lightweight ;)

Your easy run seemed reasonably swift, so you won't have lost all your base endurance, always difficult to try and wipe a slate clean, as you have race knowledge which counts for some thing.

Do you have a winter race schedule planned, or using the suck it and see method?
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Big_Show » 17 Sep 2013 08:16

At the moment my winter race schedule is the Harrier league XC series. One a month starting at the end of October, and the club pays the entry fees so I don't have to worry about losing money for a DNS. There's the possibility of a road 10k or two if things are progressing well. Not going to decidebon that until much closer to the time though.
Big_Show

Postby Tritans » 17 Sep 2013 09:05

"Critical feedback"

Did someone call ?

A very sensible plan. Which is what worries me :D

Good luck.
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

Postby Tarka the Nutter » 17 Sep 2013 10:03

Good to have you back, Shaun :-)
Global Domination award winner 2012
(basically because I've lost the plot!)
Tarka the Nutter

Postby IanM » 17 Sep 2013 10:33

jonathon.e wrote:15st 9.5lbs, you lightweight ;)

Big_Show wrote:To kick it all off, today I went for a 5.4M run in 42:35 @ 7:53/mile pace

I'm over a stone lighter, and my 'easy' pace is over a minute slower. Ouch.
IanM

Postby KidStardust » 17 Sep 2013 12:01

All the very best with this Shaun. It's been an horrific year for you. Good to see that you've not just packed it all in. Looking forward to following your progress.
KidStardust

Postby sonofsammo » 17 Sep 2013 12:08

Good to have you back.
Looking forward to this :-D
I've done DNF. I've done DNS.
The future is DNE :D

http://www.justgiving.com/getbeatricemobile
sonofsammo

Blog: View Blog (51)

Postby Big_Show » 17 Sep 2013 19:49

Cheers guys, hope I can make it an interesting read for you. Or at least give you someone to laugh at :lol:

I've set myself the rule of absolutely no running on consecutive days. That never ends well for me, and I'm not nearly sensible enough as Captain Jack to make it to a whole week, let alone a whole month. It's a shame as if I had my way I'd run every day, but I'm fully embracing my Clydesdale-ness and trying to take a more sensible route.

With that in mind, and seeing as I'm back in Suffolk for the week visiting my family, today I used the payasugym.com website and visited the local offering. Which was quite an experience; I think I'm spoilt by the posh gym I pay a ridiculous monthly fee for. Suddenly it doesn't seem so ridiculous. Although to be fair it's more the location (just a brief walk from home and directly opposite one of the hospitals I work between) as I can go before work if necessary, and the fact that there's a decent pool on the premises as well.

A few weeks ago I dusted off the old full-body weights programme I've used before and started on that again (I was unable to do anything else other than swim with a pull-bouy at the time due to my ankle). The weights have been gradually increasing so as not to be completely insignificant (although they still seem pathetic for someone of my build). It's mainly based around dumbbells, and the lower-body machines are used for one leg at a time to even myself up a bit. It was actually alarming at first to find out just how much stronger my right leg is than my left one :shock: Anyway, 50mins of that and then I hopped onto the static bike for 20mins of intervals.

The rest of the day has probably counted as interval training - running round after my niece, who would probably work quite well as the weight in a kettlebell-style circuit... I'm also doing my best to resist too much of the home cookery/baking while I'm here as well - my parents lay a good table and there's a reason I made it up over 20 stone in the first place all those years ago...

All going well I shall run again tomorrow. Got to take advantage of the nice country scenery down here while I can!
Big_Show

Next

Return to Training Logs