Big Show Begins Again

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: Big Show Begins Again

Postby Big_Show » 24 Apr 2014 19:08

Bit of a frustrating day really.

After a morning sorting things out for starting work tomomorrow, I made it out for my run this afternoon. Plan was for a bit of a warm-up, then two or three loops of this 1.2M segment round the lake. Unfortunately as I did the first effort my right hip starting aching again, albeit not as bad as yesterday, so I decided to cut it short and just do the one lap.

I did work out what's been causing it though - when I first started running in 2007 I used to twist my right foot when pushing off while running uphills, which caused me joint problems until I corrected it. I'm doing that again. And Tuesday's hill session meant I did it repeatedly and at speed(-ish) hence the pain now. That'll heal up by the weekend though, and as long as I pay attention while doing hills it wont' happen again.

Anyway, the lap I did do was 1.2M in 7:49 at 6:47/mile which is a good marker - next week I'll go back again and do two or three laps as a proper workout with three mins recovery in between; a good solid reproducible session. Overall the run was 5.0M in 39:12 @ 7:49/mile pace

Day 15 of PILP done as well. Getting there.

Unfortunately when I got home I found out that my contract's been delayed again (apparently the CEO himself needs to sign it off! :ninja: ) so I won't be starting on this temporary coding job until Monday now. All I've seemed to do so far this year is wait to start things and it's really starting to get to me. Never thought I'd be looking forward to a long day's work with a lengthy commute!
Big_Show

Postby Big_Show » 30 Apr 2014 20:58

Hell of a week.

Days currently consist of: Sleep, Train, Work, Train, Repeat.

Knackered.

Train does not involve exercise.

Need to get things back on track tomorrow. Got a race in a month.

Sent from the rural east.
Big_Show

Postby jonathon.e » 01 May 2014 07:58

Any idea of time scale for moving, or do you just feel like treading water at the moment.

Which race ? You probably said, but I forget things due to my age.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Big_Show » 01 May 2014 17:19

As far as I knew a month ago, I was going to be there and settled in by now. Instead, still waiting on word of the visa finally coming through. So definitely treading water.

I'm aiming at a 5M road race at the end of May. I should conceivably have time to train for it, albeit not in a blazing time. I just need to get my expectations right beforehand.

Big_Show

Postby Big_Show » 02 May 2014 20:34

Right.

This week I have spent the week commuting to my temporary contract. This includes a 5:00am alarm call, and a round trip of 5hrs travelling time. Luckily the money's pretty good, but it's still a while yet until payday so that's still more of a theoretical Yay! rather than a current bonus.

Anyway, by the time I get home I have at best two hours until I have to get stuff ready for work and head towards bed.

So I need to seriously prioritise my training. I have four weeks, a blank calendar, a half empty bottle of wine and a full bottle of whisky. I am going to write the shit out of a panic-training programme tonight and start enacting it tomorrow. Seems to be all the rage these days... :D

Big_Show

Postby Bopomofo » 02 May 2014 21:58

Big Show wrote: I am going to write the shit out of a panic-training programme tonight and start enacting it tomorrow. Seems to be all the rage these days... :D

Good call. I've got spreadsheets of good intentions coming out of my arse for all the good they've ever done me.

Still, it feels good to make another one and promise yourself that this time, this time, you are really, really going to stick to it.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Big_Show » 02 May 2014 22:34

I like to think I can now things are slightly more settled. Although that may be the whisky talking. I've been knackered by the time I get home every night this week. God knows how you lot with jobs, partners & families do all this training shizzle. One of the few silver linings for the likelihood of kids ever featuring in my future I guess.

Anyway, why are you commenting on this thread? Shouldn't you be off colour-coding a training plan?

Big_Show

Postby Bopomofo » 02 May 2014 22:42

Big_Show wrote:Anyway, why are you commenting on this thread? Shouldn't you be off colour-coding a training plan?

Nah, done that. I was taking a brief break while my "OK, this is honestly the last time I eat this" takeaway was warming through in the oven.... :roll:
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Big_Show » 02 May 2014 22:52

How far away do you live from the takeaway if you need to warm it back up again?

Big_Show

Postby Big_Show » 03 May 2014 20:21

Plan sorted. I'm stripping everything back to some core essentials. The race I'm aiming at is the Ipswich Friday 5, and if things go well I'll potentially try some or all of the next four in the series. Although I still live in hope that I'll be out of the country by then.

As it is, I'm leaving the house at 5:30 and getting in at 19:00 (assuming no delays), and probably need to be in bed by 21:30 at the latest. So any weeknight sessions need to be quality ones, and I definitely need to compensate for the sheer amount of time I'm spending each day sat on my voluminous a*se.

So my plan is quite simple: speedwork sessions of ~5M each on Tuesdays and Thursdays, with a longer run on a Sunday of about 8-10M because I have the spare time. Other short runs could be fit in on Saturdays and other days, but carefully as I have a tendancy to break when I approach anything like a respectable mileage. And I need to definitely make sure I get out and do the session no matter how knackered I think I feel - running always wakes me up once I've actually started. Mentally, at least.

The other side to things is to continue with the daily bodyweight exercises. I've occasionally had to miss a day, but I'm currently up to Day 18 - that's 18 reps of press-ups, inverted bodyweight rows, lunges & a 90s plank (18x 5s) fit in throughout the day as and when I get a chance. I'll continue fitting them in wherever I can, adding one more rep with each day. Should be at least at 40 of each per day by then.

The last aspect to look at (and probably the biggest...) is to stop snacking on crap throughout the day and make sure I eat healthier. Too easy when I'm in a rush to grab any old rubbish from a corner shop.

Did a 3.3M run today at 8:00/mile pace. Heading out tomorrow morning for a nice 8M loop.
Big_Show

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs