2014 Pilgrim to Kalmar

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: 2014 Pilgrim to Kalmar

Postby andyb99 » 27 Aug 2013 14:00

hi mate, well as we are on this journey together i'd like to look in from time to time and try to help you learn from my mistakes....but there is nothing i can really say that the others haven't said...
consistency is key...nothing else matters.
if you have a training plan and can do 80% of it consistently and not get injured then you have a good chance on race day.
Bike is far and away the most important thing!!!
being able to walk once you get off the bike and being able to grit your teeth will get you to the end.....anything better than that is a bonus.

keep up this log....it helped me tremendously when i did it...especially on the times i was gonna have a break and people got me back out of the door.
andyb99
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby Jungle_re » 28 Aug 2013 13:00

Had a good chat with Stu this weekend and it really surprised me how small the volume (though high frequency) the training he does for the doubles. Just got to my holiday destination for a bit of R&R as it seems that the sore voice wasn't from too much shouting and rattle Snager but the chest infection that I thought I'd kicked re appearing,

Will have to arrange a few rides Andy either tup north or the less battle stricken roads of the south west :D
Thought it might be an idea to take a leaf out of the horses and give kat a weight penalty to even things up.
Still places on the Chippenham half on the 15th of sep if you fancy a jog?

Standby for the belly shots and the serialisation of my turbo trainer smuggling efforts
26th May 2013 IM 70.3 Austria
Jungle_re
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby md6 » 28 Aug 2013 13:22

Outstanding. If you can turbo when offshore then that should really stand you in good stead. The majority of my 'long' rides were done on the turbo for both my IM, there is a real benefit to sitting mentally torturing yourself for 5 and 6 hours on the turbo. You also will find that your undercariage toughens up that you don't need to worry about that on the day! Strength and core work are also really important for IM, i know that it really helped me 2nd ime around when i did much less training and went a notable bit faster. Oh and you can always swim along behind the boat for training :lol:
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Tarka the Nutter » 28 Aug 2013 15:05

Will, it seems a few of us have had sore throats and I was off work yesterday. Think it was the water. Hope you're feeling better soon and kick the chest infection into touch.

The task you've set yourself isn't impossible. You just need to be organised. And I agree with the others re flexibility and strength work. I must do a lot more of that this time round. If you can turbo on the ship then that's great.

I didn't do much run training at all for Outlaw as for me it was all about making it through the swim and bike cut offs. In the end with the heat and stomach issues I had to walk a fair amount of it, certainly way more than I wanted, but I still made it round in time. And don't worry about your longest run only having been 14 (was it?!). Unless you want to run round most of it like Nick you'll be grand. In fact, I probably only averaged 10 hours or less most weeks. And although I've run marathons in the past my longest run before outlaw was 14 miles in France.

You've got a year to get yourself into shape for this. it's one hell of a journey and there'll be lots of ups and downs but you learn lots about yourself. Look forward to reading about it. Good luck :-)
Global Domination award winner 2012
(basically because I've lost the plot!)
Tarka the Nutter

Postby Jungle_re » 04 Sep 2013 05:40

Well it certainly starting badly
Back in the uk, still quite ill. Flight home wasn't much fun as all the tubes blocked up I couldn't re adjust the pressure in my ears ouch is all I can say. Have giving it to my wife you is now pole axed struggling to breath, talk or sleep. So off for a family trip to the docs at opening. Really peed off mainly as this bug has obviously never fully gone away and I've ended up being off and on ill now since mid June and all the way through my leave. Hopefully they can give me and now the mrs soothing to finally kill this feckin thing off.

Chippenham 1/2 is going to be off unless some biblical miracle happens
Jungle_re

Postby Jungle_re » 04 Sep 2013 11:36

1st training day

1 week course of antibiotics
1 course of steroids
2x new inhalers

20 reps of fingers crossed and god bless British Dr's, when you have to deal with the dross in other country's you really come to appreciate the village GP
Jungle_re

Postby Tarka the Nutter » 04 Sep 2013 12:55

Hope you're both feeling better soon.
Global Domination award winner 2012
(basically because I've lost the plot!)
Tarka the Nutter

Postby Jungle_re » 05 Sep 2013 12:04

Cheers mate, the steroids and antibiotics are working a treat now, hopefully in a few day I will be able to start doing some stretching ( to tight I'm my chest now to do) and maybe some recreational flounder swims. Think I'm going to have to pull out of the 1/2 mara though if I'm being sensible I really don't want this back for a third time. Gutted not to have been able to do any training this time home means that November will be the next time I can run and cycle again proper. Better to have this now at the start though than latter on in the regime.
Jungle_re

Postby kfjatek » 05 Sep 2013 12:11

Jungle_re wrote:Think I'm going to have to pull out of the 1/2 mara though if I'm being sensible

:o William! Language! :o

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby Jungle_re » 05 Sep 2013 12:25

I'm at least trying the rhetoric to convince myself, off the back of a long period with no training (the relays is the only thing I've done since being home other than a few short rides early aug and with hindsight although I was happy with my times I wasn't in good order just thought it was from shouting encouragement or the drink) doing a race that would be hard on my body would be a silly thing to do. However it's competing against the bad side of the brain that says " it's your last day before work and last opera unity to get some miles in before sat at sea for 6 weeks, you don't want to let your friends down, you can always take it easy............). In this case case I wish my wife was the type to bollock and and stop me but she isn't, hopefully the logical brain will win out other the emotional brain though it would be a first for me :oops:
Jungle_re

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs