From full to half and back again, fletch's story

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: Can FatFletch become IronFletch!

Postby fletch » 11 Mar 2013 11:12

Week 9, Day 7

Long Bike: 2hrs (shorter than plan as I was off to the rugby)

Just under 50km. slightly slower than expected, but felt very good on the pedals, first proper nutrition test and stomach held up well. The lemon energy drink is surprisingly palatable and worked well eating every 30minutes alternating half bar and gel.

GPS data - http://app.strava.com/activities/43832802

week 10 will be an adjust week. going to shift things around as I'm hitting up some overtime on the weekend. thinking of doing a century ride on Friday- if weather is dry I'll take the tt bike off the turbo and test ride the new rear saddle waterbottles - expecting ejection :-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 Using ForumTouch for Android
fletch
Posts a bit, but not too much

Re: Can FatFletch become IronFletch!tt

Postby fletch » 19 Mar 2013 18:38

week 10 has been nonexistent! not a single day training. I wish that I had better excuses, but it essentially comes down to two things... I started the week exhausted following a quick change in my shifts going from 4night shifts to 4 day shifts with only one day in between. I spent the first three days waking to abdo pain and nausea... every time I threw the fast response car around a corner I thought I was going to blow chunks.

by Thursday all I could do was sleep and took the day off work. weekend then involved doing more work as overtime and just trying to piece it back together.

with this, I think I met Mr Fear and crumbled... loads of self doubt and general crap.

Monday, back on my plan. it's a scheduled rest day. So I spent some time in reflection. It's early in the program, and not as a big a set back as I had created in my mind.

I can and will do it. there will be ups and downs, but I know I have it in me.

also, from next week I will be coming off my fru and going back on an ambulance. I have also managed to get a new rota that is only three 12hr shifts a week, and are all 3pm - 3am. this means training before work is possible and "guilt " free as the misses is at work. very happy with this and the service has honoured my annual leave and Bolton is all cleared!

long self reflective post, but need to put it down in writing to clear my head.

run tonight. going to take it slow and make sure I settle myself back into the game!

fletch

Postby kfjatek » 19 Mar 2013 19:38

You'll be fine - I guess this comes with the territory of what you do for a living that hours can get funky, so I think as long as you don't end up having weeks like this one every other week, you'll manage. Give Mr Fear a solid kick in his fat arse!

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby fletch » 01 Apr 2013 02:22

there has been training, lots of stuff going on, will update my log in next few days :-)

fletch

Postby fletch » 08 Apr 2013 14:15

Right... where to start. Going to cut a long story short and just write down the basics.

The last 3 weeks have been an interesting time. I suppose this was to be expected but I never knew it would be this hard. After really getting into the training, I hit a 10week lul. Motivation dropped and the crap weather made things significantly worse. I let my training slip, and got stuck in a few vicious circles. Things are getting better, the sunshine is helping and I have taken some proactive steps at work to avoid a major melt down. I need to summarise the last three weeks training and so will only put down the basics.

Week 10
As stated in an earlier post, this was the decline. No training was achieved and general badness started.

Week 11
After nothing the previous week, I didn't get up to a whole lot. Fear of injury and also general motivation. What I did achieve...

Day 2 - Run, 60minutes, 10.5km, http://app.strava.com/activities/45083325 (my battery went flat just before the end of the run, about 600m before home)
Day 6 - Bike, 90minute turbo session, 216kW avr at heart rate of 154bpm
Day 7 - Run, 90minute long run, 15.5km@5:58/km, http://app.strava.com/activities/45797878

Week 12

Day 4 - Bike, 60minute Turbo session, Sufferfest Angels, HR- 166bpm with max of 181bpm, Power - 326W max at average of 220.
Day 5 - Run, 60minutes, 11.2km@5:48/km, http://app.strava.com/activities/46309671
Day 6 - Bike, 90minutes Turbo, 90min, HR- 152bpm, 1102calories, Power - 214W average

Week 13
Day 6 - Bike, Long ride to Brighton and back. Used the TT bike. I think my saddle needs adjustment, pain on the left side of my perineum. 115km - 4hrs 45min, tested my nutrition strategy, may need some tweaking, but stomach held up. http://app.strava.com/activities/47503902
Day 7 - Run, 90minutes, 14.2km@6:11/km - testing my fuel belt and gels. stomach ok. legs really tired after the long ride. http://app.strava.com/activities/47750812

Not a great 3 weeks, but there you have it. Feeling back on top of things, got my mind in the right place, sorted out some issues, and back on the training wagon. Hoping that spring is actually here, this makes getting out in the real world so much easier.

If you've got this far in reading, thanks :D 17weeks left, still enough time! hopefully! Also need to get wet very soon and with consistency!
fletch

Postby Jimba » 08 Apr 2013 17:24

Getting out for a 14k run after the long bike is the right mental attitude. Back into it now.
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby fletch » 09 Apr 2013 11:35

Jimba wrote:Getting out for a 14k run after the long bike is the right mental attitude. Back into it now.

Cheers buddy ;)
fletch

apparently not...

Postby fletch » 21 Apr 2013 00:28

There are many reasons, but the most overwhelming is that I always planned to get to the start line feeling that I would finish, and finish well.

The last five weeks have seen a serious lack of training and it's unlikely that the next month will see the amount required to achieve what I set out to do. With that in mind, and dealing with a lot of negative emotion I made the decision...

...I've withdrawn from IMUK 2013.

It was not an easy decision, and costly, but I think I'll be better for it. Going to try and consolidate the training I've done already and then look at doing two half iron distance races.

sucks, but when the dust settles I think I'll be better off for 2014..

fletch

Postby Jimba » 21 Apr 2013 22:36

You know whats best, no point carrying on if it's unachievable. Reassess and set new goals and don't let the IM disappoint you deflect from your new ones. Best of luck with the halves.
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Re: From full to half and back again, fletch's story

Postby jonathon.e » 25 Apr 2013 07:46

A great decision, IMHO, going long too soon will affect your longevity in the sport, without adaption you become more susceptible to injury, and end up chasing the impossible goal.

The longer the race the more that can go wrong. Plenty of middle distance races around, good quality club run ones, these are ones that make you more self aware due to less support such as feed stations, mechanics etc, as opposed to the branded ones that do everything.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs