Chaos has a Greater Sense of Order

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: Chaos has a Greater Sense of Order

Postby Lead Balloon » 08 Mar 2013 22:30

Well, the forum doesn't want to see my post. It keeps deleting it :evil: I can't be bothered rewriting my lengthy post again so here's the Strava activity http://app.strava.com/activities/43487201 Maybe I'll rectify this when I get a chance.

In short though, the holiday was great and I loved spending some quality time with my beautiful wife and perving on her in her bikini ;)
And my first 100+km ride featured frozen hands, punctures and a spectacular bonk. All good fun.

On ship again at short notice so hopefully I can keep on top of things.
Cuffing it, one Cluster at a time!
Haven't ridden my bike since June 2014, bugger
Lead Balloon

Postby Kevy427 » 08 Mar 2013 23:59

Lead Balloon wrote:spending some quality time with my beautiful wife and perving on her in her bikini ;)

ride featured frozen hands, punctures and a spectacular bonk. All good fun

Is there a tenuous link between these? ;) :lol:
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby Lead Balloon » 09 Mar 2013 06:46

Kevy427 wrote:
Lead Balloon wrote:spending some quality time with my beautiful wife and perving on her in her bikini ;)

ride featured frozen hands, punctures and a spectacular bonk. All good fun

Is there a tenuous link between these? ;) :lol:

Unfortunately not, I'm married after all Kev ;)
Lead Balloon

Postby Lead Balloon » 19 Mar 2013 19:38

All work and no phys makes Mat a fat knacker! As I write this I'm in te middle of a 30 hour travel day going from Egypt to Paris to deepest darkest Madagascar. Hopefully my next ship will have a good gym onboard or at least some space to do some skipping and Insanity because I haven't got much done this month. Time to improvise methinx :?
Lead Balloon

Postby Lead Balloon » 14 Apr 2013 13:47

With the lack of a gym or CV equipment being a constant problem lately I decided that I'd jump into doing the Insanity videos with a vengeance. That way I've at least got some structure to my training while I'm away and motivation and circuit ideas won't be a problem.

Things didn't get off to the best of starts-when does it ever-because we had quite possibly the worst excuse for a pilot boat pick us and our kit up to transfer us to the ship in Madagascar. It looked more like a small pleasure boat or canal barge, not the type of vessel that's required to get us onboard. After some free phys doing some kind of Krypton Factor challenge over half a dozen boats to get our kit onto the right one we eventually got away. Long story short my back was crippled after being sat in the most awkward position I could manage while trying to avoid getting goffered repeatedly (soaked by large waves).

My back was in bits for about a week after that escapade but in true idiot fashion I cracked on with the videos. The first fit test was a bit of a man test as you don't realise how much your back's involved in every movement until it doesn't want to play the game. I know, MTFU.

Gradually I've been feeling the fitness gains gather momentum and I'm actually in danger of being reunited with my abs again after a long absence. There's plenty of squats etc involved in the videos so I'm hoping it will translate into improvements on the run and bike. Or at least limit the losses.

I've stupidly been harbouring thoughts about Horseman again, which I know is insane as I've probably not even being doing enough training for Wasdale let alone both. I plan to get a century ride cracked when I get back from this rotation, covering the Chiltern 100 route (but from a different start point) to see how my riding is getting on. That will a bit of a litmus test for Wasdale and possibly Horseman depending on whether I take leave of my senses or not. It should also prove to be an excellent opportunity to come up with some kind of nutrition strategy that I've heard everyone talk about.

The Insanity circuits are certainly having an effect. They've nullified the lack of gym facilities on board and made me really look forward to phys each day instead of cuffing something together that just doesn't have the same focus or intensity. I feel like my core strength is getting back up to the levels I had back in another life which is great! The videos are getting easier to do as well. They're still pretty honking and I have to take breaks throughout but I'm attacking the sessions with greater intensity so that evens things out. The only question is how will these improvements translate to the triathlon arena. Only time will tell.

As Wasdale is my first half ironman I'd like to get another one cracked in preparation. I've got my eye on Vachery if I'm about for it. It's only down the road and is flat in comparison. If I can find the time to do it then it'll provide a good baseline for Wasdale and a time to aim to be somewhere close to.
Lead Balloon

Postby Lead Balloon » 24 Apr 2013 16:05

Long story short is I've been cracking the Insanity circuits since 24th March and still going strong. I've been taking minimal rest days apart from when I've not been ship, which for once has been hardly ever in the last couple of months. I can definitely feel the improvements being made. My whole body is feeling stronger, and I've been averaging about a bucket of sweat per session. Perfect excuse to get my top off and tan while I'm at it :D

As soon as I root out for fitness test scores I'll put them to give anyone interested an idea of the progression. I was always a bit sceptical about fitness videos and other fads but you definitely get out what you put in. Knowing my luck none of it will transfer to quicker times though :shock: :lol:

I'd signed up for the Box End Aquathlon and the Bedford Middle in May but work have more than likely screwed me when it comes to getting back for the aquathlon. Oh well, I'll just have to enter a load of races to make up for it. I'm determined to actually get to a few triathlons this year as my current record is pretty minimal tbh
Lead Balloon

Postby Lead Balloon » 30 Apr 2013 18:24

As predicted I'm not gonna be back in time for Box End. Gutted, as I was looking forward to putting some faces to the personalities that make up this awesome club. I'm sure there'll be other opportunities though.

Its about now that I wish I'd remembered to bring my HR strap out with me as it'd be interesting to see just how stratospheric my HR goes when doing these vids.

I'm thinking of getting a new HR monitor as I can't be bothered swapping formats all the time. With that in mind I've started using my Edge on my runs to give the GPS of my route as well as the vital statistics. I'm thinking of getting a 910xt but I'm not sure I can justify it with already having the Edge 705. I suppose if I use it for swimming and running in training and for triathlons I can. I've already started the arguments in my head :lol:
Lead Balloon

Postby Kevy427 » 30 Apr 2013 20:36

I've got a 705 and 910 if that helps sway your decision making process? You know a new gadget will bring an instant boost of speed ;)
Kevy427

Postby Lead Balloon » 01 May 2013 01:16

Kevy427 wrote:I've got a 705 and 910 if that helps sway your decision making process? You know a new gadget will bring an instant boost of speed ;)

Your logic is unassailable sir ;) Decision made. Now I've just got to find the funds and use the WAT's 'What this little thing? I've had it for ages' line back at her :lol:
Lead Balloon

Postby Kevy427 » 01 May 2013 18:11

I remember you entering a competition on Stalkbook a while ago and if my memory serves me correctly, a 910 was up for grabs. Ahem
Kevy427

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs