Woman on the verge of a nervous breakdown: CCS 2013

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: Woman on the verge of a nervous breakdown: CCS 2013

Postby Jack Hughes » 14 Aug 2013 13:49

If I was a mad scientist, and you were a lab rat, I would say do nothing but bike training next year, then enter a 10k running race, and see what happens.

Preferably one you have done before.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby CCS » 14 Aug 2013 14:06

Jack Hughes wrote:If I was a mad scientist, and you were a lab rat, I would say do nothing but bike training next year, then enter a 10k running race, and see what happens.

That would presuppose that I have actually done a 10k running race before...
... the sad truth is that my stand alone running career extends to a single Parkrun in 2009 :oops:
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby jonathon.e » 14 Aug 2013 18:21

CCS wrote:
Jack Hughes wrote:If I was a mad scientist, and you were a lab rat, I would say do nothing but bike training next year, then enter a 10k running race, and see what happens.

That would presuppose that I have actually done a 10k running race before...
... the sad truth is that my stand alone running career extends to a single Parkrun in 2009 :oops:

'Tis a thin line that separates genius from insanity.
But third longest run of all time, time for a celebratory cake and wine evening. :D
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Jimba » 14 Aug 2013 19:16

I think you should be tapering. ;)
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby CCS » 14 Aug 2013 20:04

jonathon.e wrote:time for a celebratory cake and wine evening. :D

Jimba wrote:I think you should be tapering. ;)

Well, if you both insist....
CCS

Postby CCS » 16 Aug 2013 10:45

Wed 14/8: Rest (with wine, but no cake... so almost as instructed)

Thurs 15/8: Bike. http://www.strava.com/activities/74875404 56.1km in 2:19:38. Took poor, neglected Champ out for some hill reps - over to Staple Lane; up the hill (into hideous headwind); down Coombe Bottom; about turn; back up Coombe Bottom, and down Staple Lane, and repeat. Felt rubbish on first rep, but them it seemed to get easier. Horrible rattle from somewhere in the drivetrain, which goes away when freewheeling... suspecting hub? Wimped out after 3rd rep up Staple lane - worried about noise, but feeling good. Popped into bike shop on way home, but busy, so will drop in on Monday - though quite tempted to try Ade's recommended mobile mechanic.
Short run round block too (only 3km) - slightly worryingly, left glute hurting a bit... worried sciatica making a reappearance. Loads of rollering / stretching called for... just need to avoid falling apart for another fortnight!
CCS

Postby CCS » 18 Aug 2013 13:46

Hmmm... this week has been a bit sporadic... work / children (damn those summer holidays) - in fact interesting chat with fellow triathlete at yesterday's TT - definitely agreed that it would be best to plan the season's activities to end in early July, as the summer is just crap for getting any sort of consistent training done.

Fri 16/8: Nil

Sat 17/8: TT - North Hampshire Road Club 25 on H25/8. http://www.strava.com/activities/75353544. Damn you, Accuweather, for being right for a change. Forecast said rain & windy from 2pm... off at 1:49... rain started to tip down at 1:58, and continued to do so until after I crossed the finish line. Very windy (though opposite direction to last rides on this course) - was breathing like a sex pest making a dirty phone call on the outward leg; looked down to see my speed; thought I saw 38kph; thought... no wonder I am out of breath; rain drop cleared from visor; speedo actually reading 30; struggling even to maintain that sort of speed!!! Return leg was rather more fun though. Overall, horrible day out... miserable and cold; found myself freewheeling a couple of times, and had to remind myself that I was meant to be racing; arse hurting (roll on that new kit order); wrists hurting (perhaps I do prefer S-bend tri bars); but that aside, a PB by 30 secs, but totally outclassed by the opposition (about 3rd last lady) - perhaps all the slower folk stay away when the weather is miserable? Now that my times are levelling out a bit, I think I need to start to do some more focused TT training rather than just heading out when I can to ride a slightly random couple of hours as fast as I can. Suppose I ought to break out the turbo and do intervals?
I did however finally get to see the appeal of disc wheels - the eventual winner overtook me, and it is the first time I have ever heard a disc making a nice sound (every one I have ever heard in a triathlon just sounds like something dragging along the ground behind the bike) - perhaps you just need a lot of power (enough to do a 58 for a 25TT) to make one sound good?

Sun 18/8: Vague plan for a lake swim, but him indoors went out for a bike and didn't come back in time... grrrr... Instead took Champ put for a pootle to try and narrow down the source of the odd rattle he is making. Conclusion: it isn't the rear wheel - still get the noise even when he is wearing the TTs real wheel. http://www.strava.com/activities/75573401. Shameless assault on Church Hill Hairpins segment (you may now refer to me as your majesty...) - it's very rare that I go out deliberately Strava-bagging, but I will admit that I hatched this deliberate and pre-meditated plan as I pootled along, and it is now mine (by all of 2 secs, from the local Strava nemesis). Off to investigate where else the rattle might be coming from now... pedals? BB? leave it to the bike shop tomorrow?
Noticed that very few other cyclists would acknowledge me today - suspect I was breaking too many of the Rules (specifically 7, 11, 30, 31, 32, and one so bad it hasn't even been written about mot using mismatched wheels with different novelty tyre colours on each!)
CCS

Postby jonathon.e » 18 Aug 2013 14:48

Congratulations on the PB,
Congratulations on the QOM
Your majesty ;)

You were probably blanked by the other cyclists for just being too good.
Rules are for the guidance of the wise for the instruction of others, and therefore to be broken.

You have seen the future in a Disc.

Well done on a good week.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Kevy427 » 20 Aug 2013 05:22

CCS wrote:was breathing like Kevy making a dirty phone call on the outward leg

May as well say it before anyone else...

Well done, your Majesty
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby Jack Hughes » 20 Aug 2013 06:45

Kevy427 wrote:
CCS wrote:was breathing like Kevy making a dirty phone call on the outward leg

May as well say it before anyone else...

Serious question for you, as it's your area of competence. Do people still make dirty phone calls? Or is that now made technologically obsolescent - with trolling on social networking sites replacing them?
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs