Woman on the verge of a nervous breakdown: CCS 2013

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Woman on the verge of a nervous breakdown: CCS 2013

Postby CCS » 05 Jan 2013 12:55

Well, it’s been a while..... 2012 was written off for me in about June last year.... here’s hoping for a better 2013!

Looking back, I did actually find it quite useful keeping a training log here last year to chart the ups and downs of the year, so here goes for 2013. Feel like a bit of a fraud trying to log training at the moment, as I am doing so little, but hopefully, this will kick my arse into gear.

New year’s resolutions: none really – though living on a diet devoid of wine and heavy on the budget baked beans – partly in the hope it might be good for me, but mainly in the interest of frugality, and the hope of making a vanity purchase of a TT bike (though that is still the subject of some domestic dispute... toying with the idea of cashing in savings for short term happiness...)

My first target for 2013 was Reading half. You may note the use of ‘was’... it’s looking unlikely already. I started to hit the running back in October, and it was going quite well. Although I hate running, and am terminally useless at it, it does give a good endorphin fix, , and I was happily running 3 times a week, getting up to around 15km in a single run. Then got hit by a terrible bout of sciatica... real pain sitting at work, and driving was just awful (to the point where I just wanted to get out of the car and cry on the 30min run over to Guildford to collect eldest from school). Long story... have found a decent physio, and am back on the road to recovery, but still not running. It’s all down to terminally weak glutes / instabilities in my spine / twisted pelvis etc....

I have however made a new discovery – I actually don’t mind riding a bike in winter! With the aid of some warm clothes (especially neoprene gloves, which have the added bonus of that lovely wetsuit smell), and a friend looking for company while she trains for IM Lanza, I have kept out on the roads over winter, and quite enjoyed it (!). There’s nothing like a cold solo ride in the pissing rain for clearing the head; curing Christmas induced cabin fever; and bringing moments of clarity to life’s various dilemmas.

I have signed up to Trainer Road in the vain hope of getting a bit of focus back on speed on the bike. FTP from a 20 min test is spectacularly low (123) – and I certainly struggle to sustain effort over any period more than a minute or two, but aiming to follow their ‘time crunched’ plans in addition to riding out on the roads in the hope of getting back some speed (as I am currently averaging about 4 kph down on where I used to be on flat rides) – and hopefully hitting some TTs again in the spring. Think that FTP is probably on the low side – as on the rides I have done, I have easily been able to hold well above the target power... but it’s a benchmark anyway. In the days long, long ago when I used to be a rower, I always used to score disproportionally low on the land tests – so suspect there is still an element of that at play here.

I have also been making a foray into the shady world of bike maintenance (somewhat enforced by a snapped front mech cable during my last ride of 2012). So far, have replaced cables on the right hand side – plan to take it out for a short spin later today to see if anything works....

As for swimming.... it’s a bit damp...
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Re: Woman on the verge of a nervous breakdown: CCS 2013

Postby CCS » 05 Jan 2013 12:59

w/c 31st Dec:

Mon 31/12 - nil - cleaning house / cooking for descending hoards
Tues 1/1 - nil - exploding head / gnerally feeling unwell (I wonder why)
Wed 2/1 - nil - too damned lazy - though did bring turbo back in from exile in the garage
Thurs 3/1 - nil - bit of a theme developing here
Fri 4/1 - Turbo: Trainer Road Thunderbolt http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/145961. Power well above target - but last couple of intervals felt tough, and fighting off cramp in left foot / calf
CCS

Postby jonathon.e » 05 Jan 2013 13:15

Looking forward to reading the exploits of a reluctant runner, is the bike stand now being used as a clothes horse yet?
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Big_Show » 05 Jan 2013 15:52

I give it a week until you buy the TT bike. If only to keep Jack happy.
Big_Show

Postby Jack Hughes » 05 Jan 2013 19:56

I don't often swear. But is your FTP 123. B*****ks it is.

You're not some 5'0 waif of a girl, so by weighing only 4lb 3oz are you going to get a reasonable power to weight ratio.

You cannot, on a road bike, unless you are are supple experienced pro, do a 10 miles in 26 mins with an FTP of 123. You need around 230-270w to do that (depending on weight and aeroness). Knock a few percent off to make it equivalent to an hour (no more than 5 as it is over 20 mins), and you get your FTP.

Something is wrong.

Do another test, but this time 2 x 8 mins. Take the best effort and multiple by 90% to get a figure.

The shorter test is good enough to get into the endurance zone. But short enough so that (poor) pacing doesn't swamp it.

Make sure you warm up properly and are refreshed, hydrated and not fatigued.

Unless you have done something incredibly wrong with Trainer Road.

Or, more sneakily, if you have been promised a TT bike if you can increase your FTP by 20W.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby sonofsammo » 05 Jan 2013 21:00

That does seem very low. What turbo are you on?
I have a similar issue - constantly putting out more than what TR says I should be for a given power.
I've done DNF. I've done DNS.
The future is DNE :D

http://www.justgiving.com/getbeatricemobile
sonofsammo

Blog: View Blog (51)

Postby CCS » 05 Jan 2013 21:31

sonofsammo wrote:That does seem very low. What turbo are you on?
I have a similar issue - constantly putting out more than what TR says I should be for a given power.

Mine is a Cycleops Mag - pretty much the most basic model - and not 100% sure I have picked the right option on TR, hence am a bit sceptical about the actual numbers. However, I am going to go with it for a bit - as I figure even if the numbers are not right, it is giving me a benchmark for improvement - beyond distance covered on a particular Sufferfest which is what I went on last year.
Am finding the workouts quite useful in giving me a focus - for example the one I did yesterday was basically 5 * 5 min intervals at pretty much full power - and I just aimed for 20-40w above what it suggested. It was quite useful having a power reading to try and hold steady for the whole interval - my natural abilities seem more able to do big (relative power) for short bursts - which probably goes a long way to explaining why Fight Club has always been my favourite Sufferfest.
Going to do 6 weeks of intervals (Super Time Crunched Plan A) with a bit of real cycling as weather permits, and then try testing again (perhaps the 8 min one this time).
I do also know that I am totally useless at pushing myself to the limit - hence any test will probably come out on the low side.
CCS

Postby Jack Hughes » 05 Jan 2013 23:09

No need to be sceptical. The number is plain wrong.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby scibby » 05 Jan 2013 23:15

Yeah bollocks, no chance you're at 123. Especially if you've actually continued riding! Something is very wrong...

Looking forward to the log!
15/06. Windsor Sprint
2-7/07. Les Stables
03/08. Guildford Sportive. 100km
06/09. Sundowner Sprint. Needs BAT approval
28/09. Hever Olympic
12/10. Malta Champs? Needs BAT approval.
scibby

Postby sonofsammo » 06 Jan 2013 09:32

Have just noticed that both of the trainers we are using are only in beta on trainer road - this may be what's causing the problem?
I've done DNF. I've done DNS.
The future is DNE :D

http://www.justgiving.com/getbeatricemobile
sonofsammo

Blog: View Blog (51)

Next

Return to Training Logs