FROM THE TEA ROOMS OF MARS TO THE HELL HOLES OF URANUS!

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: FROM THE TEA ROOMS OF MARS TO THE HELL HOLES OF URANUS!

Postby jonathon.e » 20 Nov 2012 17:26

Totally, the problem with youtube is, tooo long reminding myself of yeasterday.

Don't worry Scibby, ask the IT guys if they could adjust your system to accomodate it.

You may get home and think, pah!, the old fart is rambling again. :D
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby scibby » 21 Nov 2012 10:42

I did enjoy that... all a bit older than my time I hasten to add... But great choices...
15/06. Windsor Sprint
2-7/07. Les Stables
03/08. Guildford Sportive. 100km
06/09. Sundowner Sprint. Needs BAT approval
28/09. Hever Olympic
12/10. Malta Champs? Needs BAT approval.
scibby

Postby KidStardust » 21 Nov 2012 19:57

Some great yesteryear moments there. Love the NIN/Numan, and Kraftwerk are class. Great work guys.
KidStardust

Postby jonathon.e » 23 Nov 2012 20:29

Ok no YouTube links this time sorry,

Short training week this week, but not without a few interesting injects, Tuesday was horizontal rain and strong winds, so a static bike session at the gym, followed by a swim set. One hour on the bike, rolling course, set the level, and maintain a RPM to stay above, for me it is 105 rpm, as the resistance increases the rpm drops but I have to keep it above 105, when the resistance drops I can spin upto 125, with the aim to keep my Hr at the top of the aerobic zone, as I tire keeping the rpm above 105, by hr starts initial to drift anaerobically, as the resistance increases, and towards the session it will be totally anaerobic, if I complete the hour staying aerobic, then the next session the intensity level is increased. For this session it was only the final fifteen minutes that were anaerobic. This gives me a nice idea of where my fitness stands, old school hr, it's me, and I do acknowledge there are better training methods, but it works.

Nice swim,afterwards, but relegated to the small pool, so single arm drills.

Next day the rain is still horizontal and the wind just as strong, so similar session again, legs tired so longer time spent anaerobic, but got a nice couple of miles in a quiet pool.

Managed to get Marco, back from the LBS, so trying to get a ride in this week, Tuesday and Wednesday the weather was rubbish, but Thursday, no rain, but wind gusting 40mph+. Well may as well get out there. There is the 100km challenge to do.

Probably one of the hardest rides I have done, the wind blowing me onto the verge twice, leaning into the wind, washout on the roads, more mental than tiring. Cruising along with the wind on my back, 20mph+, turn a corner and down to single figures, just driving hard into the wind, constantly being buffered from side to side, trying to compensate, overlean and the wind drops, I am fighting to stay upright.

When I set out, the sky was overcast so opted for yellow lenses to improve the vision in poor light, this was ok until darkness fell, the cars headlights, especially the zenon ones caused a lot of vision distortion do they came off. The constant increase and decrease of was taking its toll, after 42 miles I was within half a mile of home, so could have bailed, it was dark, It was not easy, but hey, train in it, race in it. So continued onwards, I was trying to stay out of the wind, but it was a lazy wind, it just wanted to go through me, not around me. I would drop into the valleys but the wind would find me again, it was getting stronger and colder.

Seven miles to go, pitch black, country road, no street lights, the front tyre punctured, Lovely, smashing,super, great. Not surprising since the road surface had so much debris and holes on it. Soon fixed by the light of my headlight, on on towards the end, at last the speedo went over 62.5 miles, 100km just, but still 100 km. four hours, averaging 15 mph.

Now why would I have gone out in such bleak weather,
1. Train in it then race in it.
2. The 100km challenge
3. There is a particular STRAVA segment that I have my eye on, the current leader is a good road racer, possibly did this with a chain gang and posted a speed of 29.7 mph for the sprint of 1.3 miles, the closest I havegot is 24 mph, so with the high winds I was just short by 4 secs, so it is doable.
4. It is cycling, weather shouldn't be preventer.
5. For those going long it is not just the distance, it is time spent in the saddle, if you go and do a sportive, such as Flat out in the Fens, a flat 112 miles in say six hours, and think great, IM bike no problems, and then enter a tough IM, after six hours you are still on the bike at 80 miles, your mental attitude takes a knock, and then the monkey jumps on your shoulder and starts messing with you, time on the bike is crucial.

Back home, quick change and off for relaxing mile in the pool, simples.

Next morning, tired legs but up and a 4.8 mile x country, knees hurting slightly but in better condition than expected.

With Christmas just around the corner, perhaps I could suggest the following, as there is an upsurge in conspiratorial tv shows, spooks, hunted, homeland, I would recommend Edge of Darkness, not the Mel Gibson movie, but the BBC thriller.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00004C ... -1&pi=SL75

First of all it is good, shown in the mid 80's, one of the characters, played by Joe Don Baker is seen wearing an Ironman finishers t shirt from Kona, a wonderful piece of product placement, remember it is the eighties and triathlon is left field, but you could believe the character had a genuine reason to wear it.

When Mel Gibson watched it, he got the producers of lethal weapon to use the same musicians for the films soundtrack, so there is a similarity, unfortunately Mel Gibson is top billing these days, he always wanted a big screan version of Edge of Darkness but sadly the films budget let it down. But the BBC DVD is less than seven quid, over seven hours of drama and documentary.

I would also recommend "raising the dead" by Peter Finch
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0007275 ... -1&pi=SL75

You know the ending before you start reading it, but if you liked Felix's parachute jump from the stratosphere, I would suggest this and read about pushing the limits whilst diving, even if you are not a diver, it tells of will power, unselfishness to help others at the risk of death or injury, where because you are pushing the boundaries, no one will help when it goes wrong. Enjoy.
jonathon.e

Postby CCS » 23 Nov 2012 21:35

Ooooh... Edge of Darkness.... even better than any of the youtube linkys.... a great favourite...
Anyone remember The Mad Death... or was that peculiarly Scottish... know much of it was filmed locally to my parents.

Good work in the miserable weather... tried a very wet ride on Wed... difficult to see with rain on glasses...

Damn winter...
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby jonathon.e » 23 Nov 2012 22:03

Think the Mad Death was only shown once on BBC once in the early eighties and unavailable on DVD , not one for animal lovers though, like Edge of Darkness, they have to be put into a context of the time, Cold War, nuclear power struggles, a real risk of rabies entering the country, is life today really safer? And why are decent dramas not being made by the BBC any more.
jonathon.e

Postby jonathon.e » 07 Dec 2012 15:25

The onset of the meteorological winter has seen a slight drop in the ambient temperature, but that shouldn't stop our activities now should it, it might slow them down but not, stop them, a resonably hectic seven days, trying to get all the challenges up to date,
last Saturday out doing Andys HM chaleenge, the low cloud, drizzle falling on a frozen surface, made running an interesting prospect, when I could it was funning on the very rutted grass verge, or very daintly on the tarmac. Did see more runners than cars though. Just took a little over two hours for the whole run, but it got Decembers out of the way. It is noticeable that the elder states people of the club are the ones tht are keeping up with it, whilst the youngsters are down the pub at various Christmas parties.

I was going to try the 100km ride on the sunday, but that was knocked on the head by the very icy roads, likewise was Monday, so swiming pool it was then, first session a nice 2.5 miles, and Mondays was a 3+ miles session, each one followed by trying to improve the winterswim time, but no it wasn't to happen. The swimming challenge result may not reflect the actual time I am capable of. No one seems to no the exact length of the pool I use at the gym I am a member at. I am not paying to swim at another pool, unless it is neccessary. Call me a skin flint then. The pool is either, 12.5,13,14,16m long, so my times are worked out on the lengths being 12.5 metres, which as you increase the distance, and the pool is really 14m, by the time I get to 1500m, I will be swimming considerably further, but hey, it is just to see me improve.

The 100km ride was done on the tuesday morning. Minus two as I left the house, with a stiff breeze for company, the first two miles were on treated roads, frost and ice in the gutters, then the next 15 were on untreated roads. The roads were whited over, and going along the frost particles would be kicked up by the front wheel and accumulate under the front brake, so a rhythmic shhhhh shhhh shhhh shhhh kept me amused for a while. Each corner taken very very VERY slowly, junctions were all stopped at early, definately buttock clenching. But it does highten awareness.

The descent down to the main roads was treacherous, slowly, gently, normal dry conditions and its 35mph+, that day, a fraction of the speed. Once down I kept to the major treated roads, and as the temperature rose, the roads became sodden, mud covered, slick tracks, always a wind reminding me of the cold, most of my extremities had gone into hibernation, perhaps gloves rather than fingerless mitts, might have been better, a stonking brain freeze headache despite wearing a hat. Some of the route had to be modified to make up the 100km, I work in miles, so it has to be 63 miles, and I may have gone round the same roundabout a couple of times, but ride done eventually, just under 4hrs, which was slow.

The evening was spent in the pleasant company of the Human League, playing a home town Concert in Sheffield, packed house, and Phil even wore a pair of Oakley 'Over The Top' glasses, and made them look good. All the music still as good as it used to be.

Wednesday's sporting activity was a Scuba review, getting ready to leave these slighlty cooler climes for the warmer water of the Maldives next year, hoping to find a new swim buddy to play with. The whale shark, definately looking forward to that, sod the festive season, I want a holiday.

The week was tinged with sadness, as I was sorry to see a loss to the triathlon community, of a number of close friends, after 12 years of sterling work, my Mavics had to go, they could no longer be trued, replaced with a pair of Fulcrums, similar weight and rigidity, faster on the flats, and downhill, but not great on the uphill I am afraid.
Also, my bike shoes, after fourteen years, these had to be reseigned to the bin :cry: , luckily I have another pair, so don't have to fork out for new equipment just yet.

I suppose the retirement of Ms Wellington was no great surprise really. It was to be expected, sadly she didn't really appeal to me, her achievements were outstanding and she got very little recognition, but, it might have been nice to see what she could have done at other disciplines rather than just Iron distance. The BBC had a sporting headline when she announced the retirement. ''Wellington announces retirement. Britains greatest Triathlete ?''. She never really did everything, and consequently the career was short, as opposed to Leanda Cave, ITU, 70.3, WTC champion, and still going, not a flash in the pan, so to speak. Perhaps all those that are rushing to race IM, perhaps look at all the others that did, and curtailed their careers due to injury. Just my view, like wise with Mr Armstrong, never trusted him, since I saw this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXPXHK7I1iQ

Pantini was a flawed hero, a product of the system, Armstrong wasn't a product of the system, he was the system.

I deliberatly avoided watching the BBC documentary on cyclng, mainly due to the title, really is there a war going on, or is it just a 'Conflict' of interests. If we respect each other then tolerance becomes the norm. If there is always a Them and us attitude, then no one respects the others views. Some countrys have a 3m rule, a car must not come closer to the cyclist than 3m when over taking, so the bike becomes the size of a car. Drivers are punished if they contirvine this, there are exceptions and likewise cyclists are punished if they obstruct the highway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuqEm4n4ntE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCXcnkXpMGI

the two links are relatively short, there used to be what is or was called the Hell Ride along the Melbourne sea front, totally unorganised, the practise was out lawed when the group ran over and killed a pedestrian on a crossing, the pedestrian was crossing the lights were on red, but the cyclists stoved into him.A number of you tube clips have been removed now, but instead of a sense of outrage and in tolerance, the Aussies in there relaxed manner, introduced a tolerate other road users attitude, there are signs all around Melbourne regarding attitude to other road users, and it has worked.

This last clip bears nothing to do with sport what so ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKf7oYywdS8

Ride and run safe.
jonathon.e

Postby jonathon.e » 18 Dec 2012 18:48

Well it's that time of year, the dark nights are drawing in, so it is pick up the race calendars and tentatively look at what to do next year. So, how many are actually going to do time trials next year, if so the early season openers are often team time trial events, a great introduction to the scene, if you can maintain a sense of humour, they are good fun, the sense of humour failure can often be seen and heard, and there is cake as well.

To prevent the " Laurel and Hardy go time trialling ", hopefully the following advice may be useful, it has been borrowed, and is not my own work, but it may help.

1. Choose your partner wisely. Other than in the events specifically designed for a senior paired with a veteran, you should be well-matched not only in fitness but in riding style. You'll get nowhere as a team if one of you repeatedly drops the other.

2. You both need to have a smooth riding style. Effective two-up riding requires the following rider to be as close as is safe to the leading rider: this obviously requires confidence that the leading rider won't have sudden changes of pace. Classic examples are where the leading rider gets out of the saddle on climbs - this results in the bike decelerating sharply. With practice and experience, a two-up team will get used to each other and stop such irritating foibles.

3. Practice changeovers. How, when, where, and always add on caveats, no use saying a change will happen every 60 secs, if at 60 seconds you hit a bend or roundabout, do you or don't you, hand signals, move to the right or let the rear rider accelerate past, if you don't practice, see item 7.

4. Avoid speaking to each other during the event. In the past we've done this and had misunderstandings because we couldn't hear what was being said (aero helmets muffle one's hearing!). Anyway, it's not a club run and you should be riding hard enough that conversation's difficult!

5. Don't worry about speed. If you're using a bike computer, don't worry about the speed. It's not in your power alone to force the pace. It's better to keep an eye on your heart rate as an indicator of your effort, and try and get a sense for how your team mate is doing. If they are showing signs of flagging, use that to moderate your speed.

6. Avoid letting gaps open up. This can happen on descents (if one rider is more foolhardy than the other, or has bigger gears), ascents (if one rider is just better at climbing in the aero tuck), or on technical sections of the course, such as bends and turns in the road. With practice you'll find you get to know when gaps might open, and learn to avoid this.

7. Stay cool. At the end of the event, if you've done badly, remember it's a team effort, and don't have a go at your team mate for some perceived shortcoming. We've seen this first hand in other teams, and it ain't pretty! By all means have a reflective post mortem on what you might have done better, or where you might have lost time, but keep it constructive.

Things do go wrong, but learn the lessons, enjoy, even the pro riders have the occasional incident

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=obTMm5mBLcg
jonathon.e

Postby Jack Hughes » 18 Dec 2012 20:31

And now is the time to order the handbook!

A good TTT should feel like a set of over/under intervals. You need about 15% less power when riding on someone's wheel. So you can go a bit harder when on the front and get a bit of recovery when not.

It's good fun :)
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby jonathon.e » 20 Dec 2012 11:24

Another quiet day at work
End of season I was 16 stone 2 lbs, now 15s 5 lbs,
Bp 107/70
RHR 48 bpm
Last run ave hr 206. Max hr 242, I am now trying to see if I can get my hr to be 220 + age, the only thing stopping me is the worry something will break.
Five mile run, all splits sub 8 mins, with a sub 7 min mile in there somewhere.
Winterswim base time down by 40 secs, just the cycling that is stagnating due to lack of quality time on the bike.

'twas the wintering season, no creature had stirred,
For they listened intently, as the story unfurled,
Of a curious race in the county of yorkshire,
Located just north of the land called Mordor,
Teams of two, and a straw bale to be carried,
It would be the drinking of pints, that couldn't be hurried.

Not one but five would need to be sunk,
Could we finish the race before we got drunk,
We wouldn't be wearing the usual attire,
Lots of costumes, some home made, others on hire.
Daleks, and cyber men, but no doctor Who,
Some easy to guess, others needed a clue.

Our costume deseigner had done us proud,
A certain guarrantee to stand out in a crowd,
All dressed in pink, with nice frilly skirts,
Blonde hair, tiaras, oh! Such flirts.
Finished off with wings, and a wonderful wand,
To run this race I think I was conned.

The starter said go, and the first pint was downed,
Then off down the road, fleet of foot over ground,
Tarmac first then onto a track,
This is fun so far, it must be the Craic.
A mile downhill, to the first stop,
A pint to put down, a bale to pick up,
Twenty kilos of straw to carry along,
The streets were lined with a cheering throng.

Into the village for anothe Ale stop,
Grab the pint, knock it back, don't let it drop.
Three down, two to go
We had better not slow,
We hear the crowd chant " come on lads",
So shout back, " We're Laydeees, look, shoulder pads ",
Pick up a pint, best not spill,
Off round the corner to start the uphill.
Onwards and upwards, we pass a few teams,
A number have stopped, puking torrents and streams.

One more to go, and I feel a bit queasy,
I knew this race would never be easy,
The last steep stretch, end in view,
Another team finish for the time trialling crew,
Across the line, medals awarded,
Step to the side, more vomiting applauded,
Our costumes admired, from all around,
Alas, not best in show, it was effing Jedward, crowned.

A big thankyou to all who sponsored our quest,
The amount we did raise we could never have guessed.
Over five hundred pounds, you kindly donated,
You're wonderful people, so let it be noted.!

Yes, a big thankyou to the members who kindly donated, also our friends, family and work colleagues, thankyou. Not really a race report, but still, the pictures appear to have gone missing:-() The money raised went to Get Beatrice Mobile.
jonathon.e

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs