AMS Marathon and Tri Challenge

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: AMS Marathon and Tri Challenge

Postby jonathon.e » 18 Sep 2012 13:25

I like Tarka's confidence in me, Jack and I are probably like the laymans, Boardman and Obree, Jack is very scientific, facts, and figures, where as I like to think slightly out of the box.

Your stats are very similar to mine, I bounce along at around sixteen stone..ish, RHR is low 40's, but before injury, running was my main focus, you will lose weight, providing you are nutritionally aware, I work on 80% good and 20% bad food intake, shift work doesn't help.

Your 3.30 time is very doable, maybe even quicker. If you want a fast time, choose your course wisely, popular and congested races, despite chip timing, will add minutes to your time. Do you prefer, flat or hilly? Fastest or one of the fastest is the Fort William marathon near Ben Nevis, OK, get up off the floor, the race is pancake flat, limited entry, and cool, all of which make for a fast time.

For a 3.30, you should be looking to tap out, 7.30 to 7.45m miles, towards the end it will trail off, aim to run as close to a negative split for the two halfs.

Training wise, depends on time, and focus, and how you want to arrange your family life. When I was keen, I would have one long run a week, between 13 to 16 miles, this was essential, any further than 16 miles your body will take far more time to recover, About a month before the race I would do a long run, maybe 22 miles, then a week to recover from that, two weeks at moderate pace/distance and a week taper.

Most of my runs are done at lactate threshold (que much debate, on what it is, blah blah), and I would mix this with the odd race, 5/10k road,fell, duathlon etc, just for speed.

staying injury free is vital, if you get pain,twinge, etc, go through the basics, RICE, etc, better to stop and check than bugger yourself up.

Look, at a series of races that you can guide yourself towards the marathon at, and try to run them at just above the speed you need for the marathon, if you need to do 5min per kilometre for the marathon, then your 5k should be sub 25, 10k sub 50 etc, if you can't match this then rethink your strategy

keep a log, be as anal as possible, hr, weather, pace, food, if something alters check the log the answer may be there.

It does bug me when people give advice, without proving their credentials, so that you can decide whether these are able to back up the advice, or if I am talking rubbish, it allows a more informed oppinion. My fastest marathon was Leeds, a rather hilly two lap affair, sub 3.15, splits of 1.36 and 1.38, take away the hilly factor and it could have got close to 3hrs. So yes a sub 3.30 for you is definately on the cards.

If you can, do some fell races over the winter, brilliant low key affairs, good laugh, usually finish at a pub, and fantastic training. Best of luck, choose a marathon that you want to do, I thoroughly recommend the one at the end of Ironman Austria. ;)
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby AMS » 18 Sep 2012 14:47

Awesome. Thanks for the advice all round!!

Thinking of entering Edinburgh next may as Brighton is closed so that will be my target. Reading half might be a good measure as well in March!!
1 long run a week, slowly building up distance makes sense and I can always to a couple of shorter ones during the week to keep the legs ticking over.

Another concern is HR. I struggle to run at low(er) HR as i'm probably not that fit and a bit big. So what do I do?
Should I go very slowly to keep my HR down for the early long runs and slowly build up or is there little benefit to doing this? Instead should I do any run, long or short at upwards of 12kmh and hope the fitness improves with distance?
Edinburgh Marathon 26 May 2013
AMS
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Postby jonathon.e » 18 Sep 2012 14:54

As you train more, you heart gets more efficient along with the body, use a log, hr monitor, and note the variables, such as resting, and how quick you hr recovers to an active resting beat, say 15 above the resting one, the quicker it gets to that point, after exercise the more efficient you are becoming, we are all individual, you can pick up any training plan off the bookshelf or interweb, www.active.com has plenty. Use these but tailor them to your own specifity, by using your log, note where improvements came withwhat training, and then perfect that for you. If you have time discover what is best for you, and what works, keep asking questions.

Your quads can improve with hill work.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Big_Show » 18 Sep 2012 15:14

AMS wrote:Thinking of entering Edinburgh next may as Brighton is closed so that will be my target. Reading half might be a good measure as well in March!!
1 long run a week, slowly building up distance makes sense and I can always to a couple of shorter ones during the week to keep the legs ticking over.

People from my running club generally pop up to Edinburgh for the marathon each year - be warned that it often ends up being a pretty warm day!
Big_Show

Postby Tarka the Nutter » 18 Sep 2012 15:22

I've wanted to do Edinburgh for a while, but the date always ends up clashing with something else :-(
Global Domination award winner 2012
(basically because I've lost the plot!)
Tarka the Nutter

Postby Bendy Ben » 18 Sep 2012 17:41

What I mean was 3:30 is pretty rapid ish

Its not snout ifni can run that but AMS and his targets.

Is it possible - that depends on a multitude of factors - are you capable - of course you are.mso give it a good go but I fear your cycling will tail off.
Bendy Ben

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby AMS » 18 Sep 2012 21:37

Tues 18/9/12
Run - 3.98km, 20:05, 5.03/km, 172bpm.
Feel better for having done some running in the past couple of days. Feeling a little tight chested so going to give it a break for a couple of days.
Quads hurt a little - eccentric contractions I think. Should get used to that over the next few days hopefully.
Edinburgh Marathon 26 May 2013
AMS
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Postby Bendy Ben » 18 Sep 2012 22:34

Run in compress port quad guards

It's a revelation
Bendy Ben

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Jack Hughes » 20 Sep 2012 08:02

Blackpool is a fast course and not too crowded
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Jellybaby » 20 Sep 2012 12:16

Beachy Head - 3:30 will put you in the top 20 ... :twisted:
2012 plans: tbc

Current holder of the Southern Riviera Playboys Best Tan Award (or something like that)
Jellybaby
Clearly spends too much time on forum

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs