Who Ate All The Pies

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: Who Ate All The Pies

Postby md6 » 28 Sep 2012 16:35

just don't try to combine the naked jumping with the self electrocution...i mean bf measurement on the scales
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby KidStardust » 02 Oct 2012 15:13

Tritans wrote:Another valid point raised by Mr Fitzgerald in Racing Weight, was that, as atheletes, it's all or nothing. So if I can't do a 10km run or a 60km bike, it's not worth doing anything. When in fact a 30 min run could burn a very valuable 450 odd calories.

thank you for this. it states the bleedin obvious, but is one of my many major failings.
KidStardust

Postby scibby » 02 Oct 2012 15:16

And a hard 30 min interval session may have more training effect / energy burnt (EPOC and all that jazz) that 60min slow anyway...
15/06. Windsor Sprint
2-7/07. Les Stables
03/08. Guildford Sportive. 100km
06/09. Sundowner Sprint. Needs BAT approval
28/09. Hever Olympic
12/10. Malta Champs? Needs BAT approval.
scibby

Postby Tarka the Nutter » 02 Oct 2012 16:08

scibby wrote:And a hard 30 min interval session may have more training effect / energy burnt (EPOC and all that jazz) that 60min slow anyway...

Hasn't recent research shown that to be true? Meant to be far better, especially for weight loss. Something to do with cortisol, which is produced during or following longer sessions, which hampers weight loss.
Global Domination award winner 2012
(basically because I've lost the plot!)
Tarka the Nutter

Postby Big_Show » 02 Oct 2012 16:16

That's what I was trying to do and it seemed to be working; specific running speedwork rather than random plods, turbo/spin classes, and weekend bike sessions with people who would push me. Although then I got injured - you need to keep a closer eye on the recovery when you try that method, it turns out... :oops:
Big_Show

Postby Tritans » 02 Oct 2012 17:06

Although I think you may all be right about higher intensity being more beneficial, I think the point he was trying to make, was that, even if you aren't feeling the love, just doing something, anything, is very helpful. A good example would be, if you just can't be arsed to do a sufferfest, just spinning for 30mins, watching a DVD, still makes a difference.

Anyway weigh-day tmro and I will be focusing more on body fat than overall weight, fingers crossed.
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

Postby Tarka the Nutter » 02 Oct 2012 17:26

Totally agree Ade. That's what I usually do. I may only have time for a 1km swim or 3 mile run but see that as being better than me sitting on my arse and doing nothing!
Tarka the Nutter

Postby scibby » 03 Oct 2012 08:35

Tarka - you mean, you do training??? :lol:

I thought you just sign up for a random hard event every week!!!
15/06. Windsor Sprint
2-7/07. Les Stables
03/08. Guildford Sportive. 100km
06/09. Sundowner Sprint. Needs BAT approval
28/09. Hever Olympic
12/10. Malta Champs? Needs BAT approval.
scibby

Postby Tarka the Nutter » 03 Oct 2012 12:04

Ha ha. No, the truth is I do train. I just don't train what is considered to be enough for the races I do! And I tend to do pretty much all of my training on the easy side. Not good at pushing myself in training.

My halves last year were probably done off an average of 6-7 hours training a week. I won't say how much (little) training I did for NDW.

My biggest problem is consistency, especially at the moment. So one week will be good, then the next week for whatever reason i won't do any.

But yes for the last couple of months the main part of my training has actually just been stupid hard events!

I may have to start my own log so you lot can give me a kick up the arse!

I love training but at the moment, laying on the sofa also seems a better option!
Tarka the Nutter

Postby Big_Show » 03 Oct 2012 12:29

So Ade, what's the damage? Any joy this week?

I just realised I never got round to giving you that "American Cottage Pie" recipe but can't find the original copy. Here's what I can remember offhand:

Peel 700g potatoes and stick in boiling water.
Chop two red onions and fry off in a big saucepan for about a minute.
Add 500g lean beef mince and a beef stock cube. Stir occasionally for about 5-6mins.
Add a tin of baked beans and as much worcestershire sauce as you fancy. Simmer for ten minutes.
Mash the potatoes.
Put the beef mixture in an ovenproof dish, spoon the mashed potato on the top and smooth down. Write a swear word in the top of it.
Put under the grill for ten minutes or until suitably brown.
Serve with veg (I find broccolli and carrots go well).
Chow down.

A quarter of the pie comes to about 450 calories, and I find the meal as a whole pretty filling even when I'm really hungry after training.
Big_Show

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs