Sir Jibbenstein Panic Trains for an Irondistance...

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Sir Jibbenstein Panic Trains for an Irondistance...

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 14 Aug 2012 22:01

So I don't epect anyone to read this, I log everything in so many other places, but I can't be bothered to write on my blog and feel the need to capture more musing than Endo does. So here goes. Six and a half weeks to go and I'm having more ups and downs than the Olympic BMX course.

Tuesday
Masters Swim, 2600m, 1 hour 2 minutes

Warm Up
2x400m (1: fc, 2:bk 50m swim/50m kick) on LIFO+30s
4x100m IM (odds normal, evens reverse) on 2:00

Main Set
12x75m fc on 1:30
12x25m (odds: fc max, evens: underwater) on 45s
3x50m (1: fly kick, 2: fly biondi, 3: fly kick) on 1:40

Cool Down
50m fc

http://bit.ly/NzKWEl

Felt like I was swimming fairly strong tonight, must have been the effects of the rest day. Started off at a stupid pace and went through 200m in <3:05, settled into a pace but then caught the feet of the last swimmer with 1.5 lengths to go and ended up with a 6:17. Haven't led a 400m like that in ages, so started on a good footing, dropped to the back to do the kick then resumed the lead for the IM, felt good on those too, even the fly which is unusual. Very happy with the pace of them. The 75s were pretty good too. By the 25's I was tiring. Felt good strong max and I was trying to focus on breathing every 4 for them, although 20s is a little of my real max pace. The 50s fly kick were evil. My legs died on the first, obviously I was doing them wrong, second time around my core tired and my legs didn't sink. Good swim all in all.

Tomorrorw is meant to be long run day, I have the time to finish work early so I should probably put the effort in. Although given the damage my hip sustained last week I'm not sure if it is really wise. Might need to be 5km loops until it starts going ARGH so I can bail. Aim is to run for 2.5 hours. Although having typed the numbers it looks so long...
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Sir Jibbenstein Panic Trains for an Irondistance...

Postby Kevy427 » 15 Aug 2012 07:11

What's up with the hip?
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby sonofsammo » 15 Aug 2012 07:14

Sir Jibbenstein wrote: Although given the damage my hip sustained last week I'm not sure if it is really wise. Might need to be 5km loops until it starts going ARGH so I can bail.

Why not start with the aim of running 2 loops and then if it seems like the hip will stand it, then do another. Then if it's still ok, do another..etc etc?
Hope your hip's ok during and after!
I've done DNF. I've done DNS.
The future is DNE :D

http://www.justgiving.com/getbeatricemobile
sonofsammo

Blog: View Blog (51)

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 15 Aug 2012 07:24

ITB issues from not running that far in about a year. It had cleared up in time for Faith to destroy me over 5K at the weekend. Just apprehensive it is going to go ping after 20k again today.
Sir Jibbenstein

Postby Tarka the Nutter » 15 Aug 2012 14:16

Don't run then. You know you can run. You'll be fine on the run. Do what you can for a few weeks then add some running back in if your hip can take it. Focus on the swim and bike.

In the meantime, get that ITB sorted.

You don't need to panic train. You're so much fitter than last year even. You'll be fine.
Global Domination award winner 2012
(basically because I've lost the plot!)
Tarka the Nutter

Postby Big_Show » 15 Aug 2012 14:47

Tarka wrote:Don't run then. You know you can run. You'll be fine on the run. Do what you can for a few weeks then add some running back in if your hip can take it. Focus on the swim and bike.

In the meantime, get that ITB sorted.

You don't need to panic train. You're so much fitter than last year even. You'll be fine.

+1

Subsitute in some bike sessions if that doesn't irritate it. A 20k run now won't matter if you don't make the start line due to injury.
Big_Show

Postby Jack Hughes » 15 Aug 2012 14:51

"panic training". Fie!

You've been training for the last four years.

You may be sub-optimal for PB smashing (by smashing I mean a significant percentage off it, taking into accounts vagaries of courses). And you may be carrying a few niggles.

But if you did nothing except resting for the next few weeks you would still do relatively OK.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 15 Aug 2012 15:54

OK, so Panic Training might be a bit of an embelishment, but it reflects the fact I have no plan, no structure, and I seem to be finishing 50% of the sessions wondering how the hell I'm going to add a 112 mile bike, marathon, or 2.4 mile swim into the mix.

The run is actually the one discipline I have the greatest fear about. The reason (I think) my ITB went last week is that it is the furthest I have run continuously for 9 months, with my last long run 3 months ago. I broke the cardinal rule of building distance. It was fine again by Sunday, it forced me to have a rest day on Friday, and I'm actually in the best shape I've been for a while. Recovery week starts on Saturday so I can afford to push myself to the edge again today. I just need to remember not to stare over it so much I fall down. If I don't try and build my run endurance I'm going to have another IMDE marathon, where it all went fine for 10K then progressively fell to pieces. I have speed, I don't have stamina right now.
Sir Jibbenstein

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 15 Aug 2012 18:25

Wednesday
Aim: 2hr30m run

OK, so you could say I listened. I went out prepared to run for 2h30 if my body held up. After 40 minutes it was clear my hip was hurting a lot again. I stopped and stretched to see if I could ease it. It seemed fine for another 5 minutes then the pain returned. So I cut the loop at the next opportunity and headed home.

Actual: 1hr 1min, 12.78km. Average pace 4:49/km. Slowest km 5:02, best 4:37. Even split.

I followed it up with 20 minutes of stretching and I can't seem to isolate the pain properly. ITB stretches make it hurt more but not as bad as running, Glute stretches make it hurt at little. Hamstring stretches make it hurt a bit. Seriously frustrating. My trainers aren't that old, they have done a little over 300km and should be good for about 600 based on previous pairs. I have had 4 pairs of them before. I mixed the side of the pavement to alter the camber. My legs felt pretty good, a little niggle in my left calf but that eased.

This is not good and doesn't leave feeling particulary confident. My Swashbuckler run went horribly and I lost my love of long distance so haven't been running far. The one thing I need to fix is my run endurance but I can't.

Going to turn this week run into a split one and get up at 5 tomorrow and try to fit in another hour. Assuming I'm pain free in the morning. Will try the the other pair of trainers to see if it is one pair causing the issues.
Sir Jibbenstein

Postby Tarka the Nutter » 16 Aug 2012 11:34

Ask Faith for some advice. She's a lot more qualified than I am. If you were closer I'd off you some massage. Where in the hip is the pain though and at what stage is it hurting?

Have you tried foam rolling or using a harder ball on the glutes?

I get pain in my hips and it's normally my piriformis or glute min trying to overcompensate for my weak glute meds and my run style. It kind of goes into spasm.
Global Domination award winner 2012
(basically because I've lost the plot!)
Tarka the Nutter

Next

Return to Training Logs