Malteser's journey to the finish line

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: Malteser's journey to the finish line

Postby sonofsammo » 21 Apr 2012 08:12

Improvement's always good!
And by the looks of things you're much quicker than me - and you've got longer to go - all bodes well, provided you can get to the bottom of what ails you. Hope the assessment goes well.
I've done DNF. I've done DNS.
The future is DNE :D

http://www.justgiving.com/getbeatricemobile
sonofsammo

Blog: View Blog (51)

Postby malteser » 21 Apr 2012 19:59

Another hour on the turbo ... Inside of the left knee is now hurting at the 12 to 6 portion of the pedal stroke but it's not a big pain so I carried on ... Didn't push as hard as yesterday in the end ... 26.3km in 1 hr ... Took hr measurements for the first time in a very long time ... Avg 153 ... Max hr 174 ... Need to gt that hr down a bit more than that ... Although I must admit I have no real hr strategy for racing ... I usually race completely by feel
malteser
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Postby malteser » 27 Apr 2012 20:07

To add sniffles to injury I have been down with the lurgy since last Saturday ... Went for a swim yesterday ... 2.9k in an hour ... Quite pleased
malteser

Postby sonofsammo » 29 Apr 2012 10:34

malteser wrote:To add sniffles to injury I have been down with the lurgy since last Saturday ... Went for a swim yesterday ... 2.9k in an hour ... Quite pleased

Well if you've got the lurgy and are swimming like that I'd say you're doing pretty damn well!
I've done DNF. I've done DNS.
The future is DNE :D

http://www.justgiving.com/getbeatricemobile
sonofsammo

Blog: View Blog (51)

Postby Jack Hughes » 29 Apr 2012 11:29

Did you follow up the Potential BP issue?
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby malteser » 30 Apr 2012 13:41

I did - went for a health assessment on Fridy and got the full works done, ECG, blood test, urine test, BP and lots of other wonderful and less wonderful things

BP is a touch(ish) high - but nothing to give concern or concern enough to require medication - weight loss is of course an issue - BMI and fat content are shocking and will need a lot of work - I'm around 13kg over where I should be so it'll be a long road to get there.

One thing that I found really interesting is that they took the test of water content in my body and found that I was quite badly dehydrated - I apparently don't drink anywhere near enough and start off my day already dehydrated - and it only gets worse as the day wears on (because I don't drink the 1.5-2 litres of water I'm supposed to). That explains the headaches and why they went away after lots of nuun/high5 zero and a good rest.

Following on from the tests (and the doc's recommendation that I don't stop training - even though he classed me as loony for wanting to do ironman) I got back into training last weekend

Saturday -1hr30mins on the treadmill - 13km

Sunday 2hrs on the turbo - 45km covered - I've rediscovered the workouts for the Tacx flow that are set out on the Tacx website - and I did 2 of the Aerobic endurance workouts back to back - they play with gearing and the specific resistance settings on the Flow - felt good - avg HR was in the low 140s, which is what I needed for a good z2 workout. Unfortunately I had planned to spend longer on the turbo but a wardrobe malfunction meant I got chafing at the tail end and I had to stop - having a desk job and not being able to sit down would not be pleasant ... I live to fight (sit) another day :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: ... I've learnt the lesson and am taking action to ensure it doesn't happen again - anything over 1.5 hours requires specific apparel - that's me off shopping

today I have a work footy game vs clients. i play in goal so I'm using it as a good overall toning workout - not much aerobically but I chuck myself about in goal (it's 7 aside so it warrants it) so the muscular benefits will be substantial - last time the DOMS in my triceps and glutes were spectacular
malteser

Postby malteser » 01 May 2012 17:59

Football was very disappointing yesterday - was not kept anywhere near as busy as I'd hoped so the value of the activity was quite limited. Then completely undone by some beers at the pub watching the game -

I have to play around with the schedule soemwhat this week as there are some commitments I need to work around - will report how things go as the week progresses.
malteser

Previous

Return to Training Logs