Fear and (self-)Loathing in Surrey: CCS' training log

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: Fear and (self-)Loathing in Surrey: CCS' training log

Postby CCS » 30 May 2012 12:56

Tues 29/7: Still feeling really rubbish (glands aching... fighting off lurgy?) - rest

Wed 30/7: Early morning swim at Thorpe - but so misty that you could hardly see the bouys on the 400m loop. 4 * 400 laps:
7:54
8:06
8:10
8:21
Then rushed home to get kids sorted for school. Typical - as I was leaving, the mist had cleared, and people were even managing the 750m loop.

Bike with Nikki and her hubby James. Relatively flat, shortish ride, though Champ threw a hissy fit at the bottom of the one Cat 4 climb, and wouldn't change into the small ring. Luckily, headed home past fab new-ish local bike shop (Pure Motion) who fixed us up (front mech had come loose), and now will be getting more of my business.
Sprint on the way home after a cup of tea, for a couple of cheeky QOMs. Tempted to head out and ride more, but trying to see sense, and not go wils with training on the days when I have some spare time, while doing nothing on the other days...
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby CCS » 01 Jun 2012 13:50

Thurs 31/5: Zlich. Had been woken up in the night be eldest who had earache but refused drugs (despite much persuasion)... then couldn't get back to sleep. Vaguely planned evening run, but bust day at work, so snoozed on sofa instead.

Fri 1/6: It's all about the bike.
Set off first for a bit of shameless Strava segment bagging. Re-visit to a segment where my QOM had been stolen a few weeks back. Now back in the lead by 48 secs, and bagged a few more into the bargain. Also headed out into the hills for a bit of steeper stuff - overall, 98km with 896m of climbing in 3:42:49. Had sort of planned to add Leith Hill and Coombe Bottom, but quite glad I didn't, as need to get some domestic stuff (incl. jubliee cake making) under control.
Notice that they have been resurfacing a chunk of the ballbuster loop - currently covered in horrible gravel, so rather slow (if you are cautious like me) - shame when you have just ridden the lovely smooth new section on Boxhill (and I notice that someone has now removed the giant penis)
Lovely ride!

Training seems to be very unbalanced (and bike focussed) - but to be honest, I don't care - I am having fun! Race results likely to be poor as a consequence though...
CCS

Postby Kevy427 » 01 Jun 2012 14:48

CCS wrote:blah blah blah training nonsense blah blah drivel (incl. jubliee cake making)

Please elaborate more on the cake - is it sponge or fruit, how many portions are you hoping to get from it, will it be iced or covered in buttercream?
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby Jack Hughes » 01 Jun 2012 14:53

It's how the month is consistently moving on by one that is intriguing me. Something bad in June that you want to avoid? Or something good in July that you want to get to?
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby CCS » 02 Jun 2012 08:27

Jack Hughes wrote:It's how the month is consistently moving on by one that is intriguing me. Something bad in June that you want to avoid? Or something good in July that you want to get to?

Getting on a bit now... confusion is common, I hear.
Fixed it!
CCS

Postby CCS » 02 Jun 2012 08:31

Kevy427 wrote:
CCS wrote:blah blah blah training nonsense blah blah drivel (incl. jubliee cake making)

Please elaborate more on the cake - is it sponge or fruit, how many portions are you hoping to get from it, will it be iced or covered in buttercream?

Ah - the important stuff... lemon sponge; buttercream; portions unknown (depending of greed etc).
This - in fact: Image
CCS

Postby Jack Hughes » 02 Jun 2012 10:30

Was admiring that on FB. It also got a nod of approval from Mrs Sponge. Which is good praise indeed.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Kevy427 » 02 Jun 2012 12:40

That looks delicious :D Just a shame I'm not nearer otherwise I'd be round for a slice. Or two
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby CCS » 05 Jun 2012 12:24

Sat / Sun / Mon: Zero. Street party / cake / wine / Battersea Park (cold) / playing monopoly with kids (total domination, and finished just in time to cook dinner).
Lazy cow!

Tues 5/6: Out early on the bike for some shameless Strava-bagging. Re-claimed a lost QOM; won another; and only a few secs off a few more. Fast, flat (a paltry 398m of climbing) route - 76.1km in 2:35:59. Haven't tried to push that fast for a while, and ouch - legs really ache now! Legs felt really empty after an hour or so, but rescued by finding a half eaten Mars bar in my bento box (remembered after I set off that my emergency gels had flown out going over a bump trying for a PB up Church Lane hairpins on Fri).
Really pleased with how the bike is going - legs feeling really strong, and definitely able to push a higher gear. Shame that I simply can't be arsed to go running! Think Windsor is looking like being a PW (current in the river, and shocking run?) - better aim to give it everything on the bike!
Champ off for a service tomorrow, so no biking for a few days :(
CCS

Postby CCS » 10 Jun 2012 20:25

Wed 6/6 : Out early for OW swim - no mist this week, so could actually see all the way to the end of the lake. 3 * 750m laps (14:46 ; 15:08 ; 15:49 ... goggles leaky on last lap).

Thurs 7/6 : Nothing - but did walk bloody miles (well, it is half term)

Fri 8/6 : Ditto

Sat 9/6 : Run 7.3km in 44:58 - awful! Haven't run for 2 weeks, and it showed. Had to stop and walk on a couple of hilly bits. Have sooo messed up in my training for Windsor!

Sun 10/6 : Evans Ride It Sportive (medium route) over near Reading (as kids outsourced to grandparents in Beaconsfield for weekend). 104 km in 4:14:42 (or 4:59:11 elapsed time). Had been promising the BAT officer for ages to do a social sportive, and this fitted in quite well. A few comedy custers: flat back tyre (him) within a minute of starting - so straight back to the car to change it; at the point where the long route split off, I called "straight on... STRAIGHT ON.... RUSS!!! STRAIGHT ON!!!" and he still sailed off in the wrong direction...; scary incident where there was a Red Kite (there were everywhere) sitting in the middle of the road eating what looked like a kebab someone had thrown out of their car... it was bloody huge, and I was a bit scared to ride anywhere near it, but luckily, it flew off...
Nice ride though - generally good tarmac; really quiet roads. Legs absolutely dead though from yesterday's run - was ready to quit after the first climb, but seemed to warm up a bit after that. Now really want to go back and Strava it properly (a few placings on some segments despite stopping to wait for BAT). Good day out!
CCS

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs