Fear and (self-)Loathing in Surrey: CCS' training log

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: Fear and (self-)Loathing in Surrey: CCS' training log

Postby CCS » 18 Aug 2012 12:19

scibby wrote:Sounds like your HAT is even more U than my U BAT. So I hereby proffer the trademarked use of the the prefix U for the duration...

I proclaim him, the one and only UHAT...

:lol: :lol: I will take your U and add a N, a D, a T and an A (No Damned Use to Anyone)!

Jon - thanks for the wise words. Will hopefully have another crack at the TT next week (think it's the last of the season) - and will probably end up driving there in the interests of saving time as much as anything, so will be interesting to see the impact on time. In terms of objectives... well... got the bit between my teeth, and it's fast times all the way!
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby CCS » 18 Aug 2012 12:24

Sat 18/8: Bike again - (failed to get the 11 year old out of bed... getting very teenage already...so all the more space in the car for Champ) - swift out and back from judo club down the A283. Traffic a bit busy, but fast, flat road. Not too steep - but definitely undulating, and needed to use every gear. Even made it over the border into riviera country (Sussex) - and there was a sod of a hill to go out to get back into Surrey - that's obviously how we keep foreigners out! Incredibly hot day, and tired now!
31.8km with 331m of climbing in 1:08:03.
CCS

Postby jonathon.e » 18 Aug 2012 13:16

Best of luck with going sub 27 for the ten mile TT.
You should be able to get in around 26.42 with favourable conditions, if you are driving to the start. If you use the comparison setting on the Strava segment and see where the other riders make up the best time on the segment and see if your time is comparable, look to average 23 mph, around 2.38 min per mile, as it is a lumpy route I can see your point regarding standing or sitting, if you can try to accelerate as you approach the top of the slope and keep the momentum up the burn will be only short the downhill will be a recovery, and not having to ride home is a reason to keep the hammer down 8-) , enjoy, the pain is short lived, but a pb is sweet.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby CCS » 18 Aug 2012 18:25

had a bit of a look - and I think the main place I loose time on the TT is at road junctions - perhaps need to just take a bravery pill and actually pedal round the corners.
Also, seem to fade on the home straight - but of an uphill; cruddy road surface; general unwillingness to make it hurt?
Think I know what I have to do... bring on Wednesday!

I now declare the remainder of the season all about the bike. Will leave even trying to sort out running till autumn / winter
CCS

Postby jonathon.e » 18 Aug 2012 18:42

I wouldn't swallow that bravery pill just yet, realistically you probably lose 30 secs max on the corners for the TT, the key is pace, dont scrub too much speed off too soon, but just let it drop gradually, take the corners as you would normally, (steady), but start the acceleration just after the apex, before too much speed is lost, trying something new on a open road race, might not be the best idea.

The speed drop at the end,probably due to slight incline and naturally perceived tiredness, just dig deep, the lactic build up will burn slightly, but enjoy the,''Fifty shades of Grey'', as your vision blurs.

If your Gramin has a virtual rider, or ave speed sensor, set it for 23mph, and aim to keep just ahead of it.

Don't try to start too quickly, your body goes anerobic too soon, a controlled burn, aim to have your warm up done so you get to the start about 2 mins before you are off, so you don't cool down too quickly.

Enjoy.

Probaably not helpful, but I foretell a 26m 42 sec TT. 8-)
jonathon.e

Postby jonathon.e » 22 Aug 2012 15:10

Best of luck with going sub 27 tonight, hammer time 8-)
jonathon.e

Postby Jack Hughes » 22 Aug 2012 15:15

Indeed. have a blast.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby CCS » 22 Aug 2012 22:47

Thanks gents!

Quick rewind before an update on tonight...

Sun 19/8 : Too damned hot... rest.

Mon 20/8 : Work etc... rest.

Tues 21/8: Convoluted process of recovering him indoors' mid life crisis car from the office where he had left it pre-accident... resulted in a ride to work on Champ, who hasn't had a trip there in ages. 18.7km in 37:31 - and equalled my QOM on what I used to think of as 'the steep hill on the way to work' (now doesn't even get me out of the big ring).

Wed 22/8 : HCC123A revisited - 27:27 :cry: . Very tired, and a bit disappointed. However, looking at a glass of wine's distance...comparing to 2 weeks ago via Strava (with which I am developing a love/hate relationship), I can see I was actually well ahead (and on for sub 27) for most of the ride - but faded really badly at the end. I blame my unsuitable mid-afternoon snack of chilli marinated biltong... started to retch at around 5km (either that, or I failed to heed Jon's advice about not going out too fast). Did overtake the girl who started 2 mins in front at around 7km :D , and had my 1 min man in sight at the end, but had nothing left...

Still, there's always next year to aim for... winter of turbo pain ahead...
CCS

Postby jonathon.e » 22 Aug 2012 23:24

A very good time, now whilst you have the glass in hand, if you can compare the results from tonight with the results from last week, looking at the other competitors time, and if you're times were improved greater than theirs, same course, same competitors same conditions, you may find that although you appeared to have a slower time, in comparison with your peers it may be an improved performance.

And to almost catch your minute rider, chapeau, well done, :D , now for a planning session to take some Strava QOMs, most excellent.
Time trialling can be a fickle mistress, sweetness one minute, and pain the next.
jonathon.e

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 23 Aug 2012 06:45

Sounds like a good effort to me. Well done. Like Jon says there are so many factors beyond control that can add a minute or two.
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs