Fear and (self-)Loathing in Surrey: CCS' training log

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: Fear and (self-)Loathing in Surrey: CCS' training log

Postby CCS » 30 Aug 2012 15:51

So, the tale of not much training continues... been busy up a tree in Wales... did some walking...
So, as for real training:

Tues 28/8 : Plan - Long bike
Actual - Friends came over to see ailing BAT... went for walk / den building on the common with kids... turned into lunch... turned into all day. In a really foul mood re missed bike, as it was a lovely day... forced self out for dusk run to try and shake mood off... 6.07 km in 35:20

Wed 29/8 : Domestic stuff; rest

Thurs 30/8 : Threw bike in the back of car, and ferried eldest over to Guildford for netball camp. Curse you, Accuweather!!! (note to self - it is probably best to look at the forecast for where you are going rather than where you live, even if they are not far apart..)
Plan - bike to Boxhill, taking in loads of climbing
Actual - pissing down with rain; brakes ineffective; scared of slippery descents on Surrey lanes, so did a flat (a paltry 429m of hill) 64km in 2:15:52 instead. An exercise in cautious riding in the wet - also very gusty wind - scary on my fancy wheels. Loads of roadworks, but nice new tarmac going down in a lot of places. Really need to man up - but kept hearing my 11 year old's parting comment: "Please don't crash your bike, mummy - or there will be no one able to look after us".... she has very limited confidence in my abilities (when she went on a school trip to France, she tried to persuade me not to cross the road for 5 days in case I got run over..)
Anyway, nice to be out on the bike, but slow and a bit pathetic....
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby scibby » 30 Aug 2012 16:05

Aw - bless the 11 year old...

Twas a nice tree house - where was that?
15/06. Windsor Sprint
2-7/07. Les Stables
03/08. Guildford Sportive. 100km
06/09. Sundowner Sprint. Needs BAT approval
28/09. Hever Olympic
12/10. Malta Champs? Needs BAT approval.
scibby

Postby CCS » 02 Sep 2012 14:33

scibby wrote:Twas a nice tree house - where was that?

Yes - it was fab - on mid Wales - near Machynlleth.

So... training...

Well, sporadic as ever.
Finally got out for a decent bike today... ride over to Box Hill via Staple lane and Dunley... 34.6km (496m climbing) in 1:27:30. A few pauses to fix my saddle which had come loose (wondering why Champ was rattling like a bag of spanners every time I got out of the saddle).
Then 3 * Ballbuster loops : 38km (592m climbing) in 1:36:06 with the BCTTT crew.
Box Hill heaving with cyclists!
A bit of coffee and treacle tart to revive the legs, and then wimped out and took the flat route home - 31.2 km (183m climbing) in 1:09:06.

Owwww - my legs!

Good to get out again - but lacking in fitness... still, enjoyed it despite the rain!
CCS

Postby AMS » 02 Sep 2012 20:02

Lacking in fitness??????? Didn't see you on that first climb up box hill!!!
My legs are feeling it now as well. Good luck with the Legs of steel!!
Edinburgh Marathon 26 May 2013
AMS
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Postby CCS » 05 Sep 2012 11:31

Mon / Tues 3&4/9: Rest - busy sorting out getting kids back to school / youngest's birthday / him indoors getting pins out of thumbs (apparently like pulling a nail out of wood... made me quite queasy even thinking about it, and then he sent me some photos...)

Wed 5/9 : Sunny late summer morning; resident childcare; that can mean only one thing... bike! Decided on a change of scene, and headed over towards Leith Hill. 69.3km (961m climbing) in 2:49:16. Legs are definitely lacking in strength (my own fault for neglecting the hills). Got myself really worried on Leith Hill - on the second climb bit (which isn't very steep) as I was changed down into the 28, and really wanted a lower gear... starting to think Legs of Steel might not be a good idea... then I got to a descent, and went to change up to the big ring, only to find I was already in it (what an idiot!).
Tired, but nice day out on some unknown roads.
CCS

Postby CCS » 07 Sep 2012 16:23

Fri 6/9: Children back at school and a degree of normality restored. Should have been catching up with a bit of work, but not feeling very motivated, so headed out for some more panic hill training. Out to Staple Lane; up; down Coombe Bottom; about turn; back up Coombe Bottom; down Staple lane; and repeat * 3. A bit happier - managed all Staple Lane climbs without resorting to the 28 (can't say the same for Coombe, with that final steep hairpin). Then went for a fast flat spin before heading home. 71.8km (857m climb) in 2:55:48. Legs totally dead now. Saddle came loose again too (feel a separate thread coming on). Lovely day, and feeling a bit better about life, though need to do almost twice as much climbing (and over a not much longer ride in a week's time... PB is not on the cards!)
CCS

Postby CCS » 09 Sep 2012 14:17

Sun 9/9 : The diet of hills continues, and feels like it is starting to pay off. On the menu today: Staple Lane; Dunley; Box Hill; Ranmore; Leith Hill; Coombe Bottom (by which point my legs were dead; my arse chafed; and I just wanted to be back home). 94km (1194m climbing) in 3:51:46. Beautiful morning, though very cold when I leaded out, and freezing on all the leafy lanes - particularly the decent from Leith Hill to the A25 which looks like the sort of place where hobbits would live - road well below the level of the tree roots...
Quite happy with that overall - nothing spectacular speed-wise, but a long ride, with some tough climbs on tired legs. Left knee hurting a bit (toyed with the idea of binning it and going back to bed) - but felt OK on all the climbs, so will ignore and carry on. Busy week at work next week, so not sure how much more training I will slot in before Legs of Steel.
CCS

Postby CCS » 15 Sep 2012 16:04

So, no training all last week - really busy with work and feeling tired.

Today: Legs of Steel. Really wanted to get Gold standard (to try and salvage my last objective from a season that has been a bit of a write off) - but I am just so unfit compared to this time a year ago that I knew it was going to be a tall order.
Heavy carb loading last night (note to self... just because you make a family size lasagne doesn't mean you have to eat most of it) - and then up early this morning. Feeling totally rubbish (ate too much last night?) - just didn't want to eat anything, so pathetic breakfast of coffee / half grapefruit / half banana... not ideal for a hard ride.
Got to Box Hill and still felt rubbish... joined the queue.. and then off. I always find this event pretty humbling - loads of fast people going past, so felt that I was climbing very badly, but actually looking at Strava, I got 5th overall woman on Ranmore, so perhaps I wasn't doing do badly after all. Feeling really rough though - every climb made me feel like I wanted to vomit; cold sweat etc, but just kept plodding along. Needed a breather on Winterfold, and another at the top, where I actually got off the bike, and was toying with the idea of a lie down on the verge. Hit a real low point out by St Martha, but at this point, my bro in law and a couple of his mates caught up with me, and offered to tow me along. At this point, I could barely keep up with them on the flat (!), but knuckled down and got on with it. By Coombe Bottom, I was feeling a bit stronger, and went past all but one of my rescuers... could feel the end in sight.
Dunley was horrible - cramp in quads, but when I got to the top, I got a real second wind, and put my foot down across Ranmore Common (towing about 4 guys behind me... unaware at the time, but they all thanked me when they went past on the Ranmore descent). Only Box Hill left, and I foolishly decided to stand up at the bottom to stretch out my aching legs - cue terrible cramp in left quad... rode up gently massaging it, and finished in 3:22:16 by my Garmin - GOLD!!!!!
So, no further unfinshed business with this event. I now have a full set of medals from the last 3 years' efforts, so the kids can stage olympic medal ceremonies to their hearts' content.

Feeling much more positive that I have achieved a little of what I set out to do this season. Now need to get my arse in gear and sort out my running.
CCS

Postby Big_Show » 15 Sep 2012 16:06

Sounds like a tough day's work - well done, enjoy your gold medal!
Big_Show

Postby jonathon.e » 15 Sep 2012 16:26

Great stuff, fantastic effort. :D 8-)
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs