Sonofsammo's training log Year 2

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: Sonofsammo's training log Year 2

Postby TRIumphant » 25 Sep 2012 09:35

flavadave wrote:
sonofsammo wrote:Calves hurt like a bastard this morning, as do both achilles :-(

Mate... for all the great advice on here, it does seems like you're not listening to it. I don't want to give you a hard time, but I desperately want you to get that medal next year.

My tuppence worth... We all know that Ironman is about the bike, even more so at IM Wales. Might it not be a good idea to bin running for the time being? You've said yourself that you love the turbo (weirdo). Even if you did no running for the next 6mths and just focussed on getting Ironman bike fit, I'm sure you'd have the endurance to do the run. Plus your achillees might have actually had time to heal properly. Okay maybe not six months but you get my drift.

Like I said, I don't want to give you a hard time, so feel free to tell me to do one. I can take it :D

It's tough at times, so many times the forum comes up with JFDI, when actually it needs a more restrained and sensible post. You need to look at the long term, rehabilitate properly during the off season, in order to build a strong body to add the fitness to in the New Year. Building fitness on a weak foundation is only ever going to fail.

Remind yourself of what the course in Tenby was like, and focus on the specific requirements, and train to address them. Specifically the swim and the bike.

Swim, really depends on the weather, 2011 was fantastic fun, but you needed to be confident, and not be bothered by the swell etc, and then take care when exiting onto the beach. 2012, almost flat calm, and no real issues.

The bike, just need to address the hills. Get used to rolling routes, with a few steep hills thrown in, and train in all weathers. September in Wales is going to be windy, and more than likely wet, so get used to it. A few crashed this year, and speaking to them, it's because they weren't used to riding in rain etc, when it rained in training, they used the turbo.

The run, get off the bike, and then deal with it.
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Re: Sonofsammo's training log Year 2

Postby sonofsammo » 25 Sep 2012 11:59

Thanks guys.
And no Dave, I won't take it the wrong way ;-)
The problem I suppose I have is that I LOVE running. The prospect of not running for 6 months, through my favourite running time of year is awful.
Plus it really helps to get the weight off.
But I should probably demonstrate some restraint, you're right.
And I should probably start swimming again. The biggest problem with swimming is that there are limited options round here, so I'm going to have to try and be a bot more creative to make sure I can go.
Have just properly entered the race and had my confirmation through.
Am absolutely shitting it.
60 min turbo - aimed to for a spin with HR between 140-160. Relatively arbitary, but I'm just getting used to a HR monitor again, so thought it was a good place to start.
Resting HR is 53, max HR I 've seen recently was 192 on the ride out with Ian the other week. I have no reason to doubt that really - but it's somewhat adrift from 220 minus age.
I've done DNF. I've done DNS.
The future is DNE :D

http://www.justgiving.com/getbeatricemobile
sonofsammo

Blog: View Blog (51)

Previous

Return to Training Logs