SickBoy's Training Log - All killer no filler.

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: SickBoy's Training Log - All killer no filler.

Postby SickBoy » 20 Jan 2015 12:00

Exactly! It's going to be all killer.

Globally dominating Canada
SickBoy

Postby Jack Hughes » 20 Jan 2015 12:33

SickBoy wrote:Renamed to reflect my quality not quantity method.

Basically, the same as me. Except for the quality bit.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby SickBoy » 20 Jan 2015 14:03

I'm sure I said this last year but this year I'm going to make an effort to update this one a week with notes perhaps including sleep and diet and I am planning to start regular benchmarking across the 3 disciplines to see if I actually improve, and hopefully encourage myself to do so.

SickBoy

Postby SickBoy » 21 Jan 2015 23:44

This week has been pretty poor after a good ish start to 2014. Swam ok on Monday but errands and kid sitting have got in the way. Failing to get training done on weekends.

Have acquired a new laptop so may get setup for the ToS tonight. Am going to be away until Sat evening so stage 1 will be a bit of a rush.

Went for a run at lunchtime, 35 mins on treadmill. Used one of the new machines in the gym, usual start at a warm up pace but was totally wrecked after 10 mins. After I noticed that 6km/h on the new machine is faster than 6km/h on the old ones, as it requires me to jog while it was a brisk walk before. Stubbornness meant I persisted at the same no.s as normal so a more intense workout than initially planned - all killer!

Sleep: average, some pre 6am starts and broken sleep.

SickBoy

Postby SickBoy » 10 Feb 2015 02:58

Tour of Sufferlandria complete! Didn't get around to retesting FTP before the start so dropped it about 10% based on how I'd been feeling in my pre tour training. A similar pattern to last year. The long session on day 2 was tough as I lacked endurance. Sitting became progressively more uncomfortable but I did improve a little through the tour. Most of it went fine, some videos definitely easier than others and the big stage 8 I'd been dreading turned out ok. Better fuelled this time with family topping up water bottles. Don't think starting the tour after a ski weekend helped though.

Had an easy week after. Started yoga at work again. Some gentle swims, it was nice to be doing something different but I had v. Low energy levels right after. Swims were a real effort and a bit slow.

Got a good indoor run done at the end of the week, felt like I was in good form. Also swim times this week have been much better, was holding 3:20 pace for 200s today which is good for me and better than it has been. Long to swim in a quiet pool again though. Slightly worried I'm becoming that w#£%er no one likes when people just don't yield but I'm going to blame it on being tired. (Breast stroker didn't let me through on a fast 100 today, amusingly I nearly pulled his shorts off by accident. I'm 99% sure he knew I was behind him before the turn).

Well my new objective is to let this stuff go.

Seem to be benefitting from the tour now so another fest this week should give an idea of improvement.

Sleep has been very poor. Kids up very earlier and broken sleep including a late night where I was out til one and up at 6:00 took a long time to get over.

SickBoy

Postby SickBoy » 05 Mar 2015 13:34

Well, just as I had started to build some consistency, get my FTP back up and swim times down I got hit with a stomach bug. Been out of action for a week and still not 100%. Feel really tired and not looking forward to getting started and building training momentum again. I think one winter end that will help. It has been unseasonally cold and that's set to continue into March. If I can get organised there's a reasonably local race at the end of May I might check out.

SickBoy

Postby SickBoy » 18 Mar 2015 22:27

Back into ticking over, not much cycling happening at the moment so totally failing to make the most of the ToS jump start. Pool is going ok but may have overdone things on my return from illness and then carrying the increasingly large kids around on my shoulders. Had pain in upper back/lower neck over the weekend which is subsiding now. Poolmate has a new battery, which is nice.

Really need to set some goals for the year to get some motivation. Looking at run events of all things, including a Spartan race but there's a lot if travelling for that. A local HM in about 4 weeks I could use as a test. Really looking forward to the snow going and being able to go outside on bike again!

Sleep is still an issue so nothing new there

SickBoy

Postby SickBoy » 08 Apr 2015 13:38

Have had a cold for a while, wheezy chest cough at the moment. Not much energy so no training. Was away in Ottawa at the weekend and got the WAT to do some video of me swimming in the hotel pool. Interesting to look at, though you can't see that much,some things I could try switching up once I'm better. Had a go at swimming a length of butterfly, made it to the other side which is better than any previous attempt. No Michael Phelps though. Hoping to get over this cold soon, warmer weather is almost here which means exercising outside. Kids swim lessons are back on Sunday mornings which is going to make going to any races a little trickier.

May get around to investing in some bike bits this summer, still on the hunt for some wheels and still can't decide between tubs/clinchers etc...

Other plan is to get a decent bike stand and tools and learn maintenance on my old roadie.

Race season looks like it might be a bit light again this year. Still not decided on goals, fast sprint no crash seems likely. Could do the HIM at the circuit but feels like it might be too easy/boring on a flat course.

Decisions, decisions...

SickBoy

Postby Bopomofo » 09 Apr 2015 22:56

Hope you feel better soon and can start to exercise in the fresh air, eh.

Fly is a stupid stroke, unless you happen to be good at it in which case it is beautiful. I can't do it. My son can... and he's brilliant at it, the little shit.

And so to bike stands... I want one too. Over to the technical section to look for BCTTT advice... oh god, here we go.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby SickBoy » 10 Apr 2015 00:57

Slowly getting better but have now caught pinkeye from my son. Hooray. Might all be missing first set of swim lessons on the weekend. Once I get a moment I'll upload my fly video so you can all have a good laugh. Elites, always make it all look so effortless!

SickBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs