Ewan's Training Log

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: Ewan's Training Log

Postby md6 » 16 Aug 2011 16:42

Are we going to be disappointed about it when you finally tell us - We are all expecting something HUGE so if it isn't a blockbuster announcement then i think it may be a little underwhelming.

Ben he's already told you and you can't remember? :lol:
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Bendy Ben » 23 Aug 2011 04:54

Er................... I can honestly say that ive been a bit "head in the clouds" recently and i cant remember....... Sorry Ewan... thats awful of me but it'll come back to me soon

(PM me and tell me again) :lol:
Bendy Ben

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Ewan » 25 Aug 2011 15:27

Ewan

Postby Jack Hughes » 25 Aug 2011 18:02

Good stuff

Of course, it would be unkind of me to even hint that you will get a start, just because Ben has entered. ;)

I must admit, from the hints, I was expecting something a bit more life threatening like Marathon des Sables or one of the big name US ultras. :lol:
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Ewan » 26 Aug 2011 02:25

Haha... What hints?? I gave no hints whatsoever... :) The first announcement actually just introducing the blog so that I'd have somewhere to keep up to date with my training (I've been enjoying CPT333's blog as well as these two amongst others and wanted in on the game). Then everyone else started getting excited :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't worry though, I do still have some foolish races on my to do list... The original plan hadn't been to run TP100, but UTMB instead, but UTMB requires the collection of 5 qualifying points and TP100 contributes two of those. Other races on the radar include the Norseman, MdS, Comrades and may be a sub 24hour crack at the Bob Graham Round. Oh and one-day I'll swim the channel but that is many years off - I'll need to put on a lot of weight before then.

It's a bit frustrating but I probably enjoy Tri and Cycling (I love testing) more than I enjoy running however in terms of races I feel more drawn to some of the big running races than the big name tris. Yes Lanza, Roth, Nice, Hawaii would all be fun but for me they don't quite hold the same mystique as UTMB, MdS, Norseman etc.

One thing at a time though... TP100 first.
Ewan

Postby Ewan » 28 Aug 2011 12:16

Ewan

Postby Jack Hughes » 28 Aug 2011 20:33

Fully concur withthe stretching. My Achilles injury(s) always correlate with my lack of flexibility.

I've been doing pilates and yoga recently - now have a weekend class- not enough - but I lack the discipline to do it on my own. My plan for the next few months is swimming, pilates, yoga, weights and non impact cardio - indoor rowing.
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby Jack Hughes » 04 Sep 2011 08:29

Ewan wrote:Haha... What hints?? I gave no hints whatsoever... :)

I tried hard, but I didn't work it out.

Hints:

- A training plan which takes you up to March. Two long for training blocks, so it must be the race event.

- You've already done a few IronMan, so it has to be more extreme than this. Especially as you don't bother to train for something as "walk in the park" as an IM

- Needs permission and buy-in from Family. This means it is either dangerous (real risk of death), or expensive (need to borrow money of bank of mum and dad, or get them to crew for you in some exotic part of the world).

So, I scoured the web looking for dangerous expensive extreme challenge/endurance races in March.

Although the TP100 fits the bill for longer than IM and in March, it didn't seem that dangerous or expensive that you would need family buy in. After all, based on your IM training plan, you'll be doing, what? up to 50 mins per week training? So it's hardly going to impact on your social life :lol:
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby Ewan » 12 Sep 2011 05:49

Ha... Well I've never really tried all that hard to balance girlfriends and training. The current version was around in the run up to IMAT but (a) I didn't really train for that and (b) when I did start training she left for Peru!!

Anyway... new post
Ewan

Postby Jack Hughes » 12 Sep 2011 07:37

I had two to read! All good ones. Do let that ankle rest. I find rowing to be very complementary as a non-impact equivalent - both physiologically and mentally. But you know all about rowing. My advice would have been to not do the 10k based on the soreness after the 30k.

I would worry about pace at all. It is such an unknown and you would either get it too fast or two slow. Get your self as close to 36 for a 10k as you can, and your M pace to 2:50 - 3 hours or so. Then just run at a recovery or happy pace. Ie all on feel. Plenty of time over 100 miles to make up if you start too slow. And starting too slow should be key!
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs