Ewan's Training Log

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: Ewan's Training Log

Postby Ewan » 16 Jul 2015 15:59

I suppose I need to try and borrow someone's power tap for a few rides... just to confirm that my power data is reasonable at least. Or is there any way to do a proper calibration (hanging weights etc) with vectors?

As for smoothing algorithms, I have no idea what strava does to the data once it's uploaded. To get the data I go to his ride, then select the segment for the entire course and click "export effort as virtual partner" and choose the .tcx format. My data is directly imported into GC from the original .FIT file.
Ewan

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Jack Hughes » 16 Jul 2015 16:01

Although the low points in are when the ground is going up.

Is he a lot lighter than you? Or have a motor?
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Ewan » 16 Jul 2015 16:42

He could be lighter, but asking people to hop on my portable scales at TTs tends to raise eyebrows :-D

We're about the same height, and both relatively slim... I suppose I'd guess at him being a fraction shorter and lighter, but at 6' and 69kg, there isn't a huge amount of scope for being lighter than me. My frame is probably lighter, but with Alu brake tracks my wheels are probably a little on the porky side. Using a set of slightly dodgy bathroom scales my bike appears to be around 8.9kg in TT mode.
Ewan

Postby jonathon.e » 16 Jul 2015 18:02

Perhaps the only way to compare is ask him nicely if he would let you both swop bikes, ride a set distance at a set pace and then compare the two.
Or is that too simple .
Not doing power as it corrupts, and being too nice and all that.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Ewan » 07 Sep 2015 20:12

@IanM You've used 'best bike split' haven't you?

I'm just playing with it for wales and it's giving some slightly mystifying numbers...

If I give it my best guess for all the parameters then it gives me a predicted bike of 5:22. Given the course in wales, and the fact I did c.5:20ish on the super-fast Austria course a few years ago, this doesn't seem very realistic.

https://www.bestbikesplit.com/public-race?r=26649

If I use http://www.cyclingpowerlab.com/PopularEventModels.aspx and populate it with similar numbers, I get a split closer to 6hrs... This seems a bit closer to reality but given the great disparity between the two results it's hard to know which to trust?

Any tips for how to make it work?

Essentially the parameters I used were:
Weight: 70kg
Bike w: 10kg
CdA: 0.24
FTP: 270
IF: 0.70-0.71
Race power: c.190w
Ewan

Postby IanM » 07 Sep 2015 20:16

I'm not convinced by it TBH. It predicted my time for a local course (crap tarmac, almost no traffic) to within seconds, but is 2-3 minutes out for 10s and 25s on faster courses, much more than you'd get from traffic assist.

I've got results from a hilly TT (slightly more comparable to IM Wales than a fast 10TT), so I'll plug that into it tomorrow and see what it comes up with.
IanM

Postby Ewan » 07 Sep 2015 20:23

Cool cheers. My main worry is how to actually pace my effort during the race... I think I'm happy with a c.190w power target but quite how to manage my power delivery up and down hills is another thing.

It's easy to hit a power target on a nice flat TT (even a lumpy one...) but I have no idea how I'm going to pace it on this course profile:

Ewan

Postby IanM » 07 Sep 2015 20:35

Aim for 190w NP rather than AP, and accept that there will be plenty of occasions where you're going >190 on the climbs, but (hopefully) ample recovery times on the downhills to balance it out?
IanM

Postby Ewan » 07 Sep 2015 21:39

Yes, that's sort of what I was expecting too, although I'll still want to keep my VI down as much as possible. I don't think there is much I can do to monitor VI during the race, but I was thinking of trying to cap my climbing effort to c. 250-260w to avoid 'burning too many matches'. I imagine descents will be sufficiently technical that they render power irrelevant, and are more a case of balancing handling/safety.
Ewan

Postby CCS » 08 Sep 2015 08:56

Don't you have a PhD to write...?
Step away from the bike gadget tools.... (and good luck in Wales!)
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs