Ewan's Training Log

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: Ewan's Training Log

Postby IanM » 10 Jun 2015 22:23

Have a good race!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
IanM

Postby Ewan » 14 Jun 2015 20:58

I had a pretty positive day out at the cotswold113 race, but also some interesting things to note…

Results here: http://dbmax.racetecresults.com/Results ... 1&RId=8006

Swim: As per the plan I tried to stay relaxed from the start. I started at the front, and had clear water right from the beginning - there were two fast groups ahead, one on each side, but I had a big space of clear water around me. Coming round the first buoy I could see a group just ahead and to my right and moved across to get into their slipstream - however by the time I moved over I had already cruised past them. At this point I looked up and saw that I was in 2nd place for my wave and that first place already had a big gap. Trying not to get over excited, I focused on settling into a rhythm and staying as relaxed as possible. My sighting was awful, and I went on a very scenic tour of the lake leading a small group of followers on a merry chase behind me. Given that I was in 2nd, I really didn’t want to let it get to my head so I focused on the mantra relax and maintain technique - it felt like I was swimming at endurance pace (CSS+5sec) but I was still at the head of my group and we were flying past the wave in front so it can’t have been too bad. Three quarters of the way round, I felt water getting into the back of my wetsuit, a little at first but more and more and it felt like I was swimming in a bathtub with the water sloshing around me. I took the penultimate buoy wide and dropped back into 3rd place to follow 2nd into T1. I think this was a good move as I think his draft made up for all the extra drag and I was able to follow his feet through the crowd of the wave in front.

Bike: I got out on the bike with no issues and settled into holding 205-215w. It was pretty hairy at times as I was passing hundreds of people from the waves in front on some pretty narrow roads, and the fast guys from the first wave were already coming back in the opposite direction. Annoyingly, a group of slower riders swerved across the road as I was passing them forcing me over a pothole and ejecting my bottle. We were only 15minutes in, and since it was my only source of nutrition I wasn’t prepared to lose it so soon. Fortunately it was clear behind so I turned back to retrieve it. Back on the road, I caught up with the same group of riders just before we got to a particularly narrow section where there was no overtaking allowed. I slotted in behind the group and cruised through the gap. As I was getting back up to speed on the open road, I began to pass the group, calling (as politely as I could) “coming through on your right” and thanking people as I passed. About halfway past the group one of the riders looked over his shoulder, strait at me before standing on his pedals to swerve out and begin his own overtaking move. I was sat up on the hoods, but there was probably a 10km/h speed differential and he came right across me when we were already side by side forcing me off the road. As I fought to control my bike and get back on the tarmac he shouted and swore at me for overtaking on a dangerous stretch of road (ignoring the fact that the way was clear and that he was pulling out to overtake himself!). Strong words were had once I was back on the road and finally passed him. The rest of the 1st lap was uneventful, and I managed to maintain a constant effort although it was a bit like doing micro intervals as you accelerated past groups or cruised behind them waiting for a safe overtake. I collected 500ml of water at the aid station (despite them saying that the bottles would be 750ml) before setting out on the second lap. As I passed the spot where I dropped the bottle on the 1st lap, I had to stop again to dislodge a long strand of electrical tape that had got fouled up on my wheel.

As the 2nd lap wore on I began to feel a little bit pooped, and going up the solitary hill on the course, my quads felt like they were lacking any top end power. My power slipped back from around 210w to 190-200w and I just felt drained… It was noticeably hard to concentrate and it was almost like I didn’t have enough fuel, even though I was bang on plan WRT nutrition. I made sure that I finished all my bike nutrition about 10-15km before T2 to allow my tummy to settle but I was worried about feeling weak so I grabbed a bottle of High 5 coming through the final aid station and had a couple of sips.

Run: As I set out on the run I felt even more wobbly, and just 200m out of transition I was violently sick. I was stopped for about 3 minutes and vomited up at least a couple of litres of fluid… it was like I hadn’t absorbed any of my bike nutrition at all. It was pretty unpleasant but as soon as I was able I began walking and then trotting. I thought about pulling out but instead decided to ditch the run plan (4:28/km) and just jog round on feel. A couple of fast boys from an earlier wave passed me but I was still overtaking lots of other people which gave me a boost. I had a gel straight after being sick and then another 10 minutes later and then 15 minutes later and by that point I was feeling much better and was running pretty close to schedule. On the second lap I continued to run on feel, but was also pushing on a bit. At the beginning of the final lap a woman passed me and since I was beginning to feel a bit better I resolved to stick with her. She was about 10m ahead and looked super strong and smooth… far better than any of the men who had passed me, but I held a steady distance for the first half of the lap. Around the half waypoint I caught and passed her, but she responded and overtook me again a couple of minutes later. She was clearly running faster than I would have if I’d been left to my own devices so I used her as inspiration and followed as closely as I could. The run course was really crowded by this point and we were tearing through the smallest gaps. 600m out we flew past another woman, who looked shocked and tried but failed to respond. I moved ahead with about 400m to go and accelerated towards the finish. I thought I was sprinting, but suddenly I heard a charging sound just behind my right shoulder - chivalry be damned… I found another gear and I crossed the line at full sprint (2:49/km according to TP) about 20cm ahead.

In the end I think the lady I ran with finished 2nd woman overall, 1st in category and fastest female run (36th fastest run overall). I think lady we surprised ended up finishing in 3rd after a strong bike but losing 5minutes on the run.

I finished 26th overall and 4th in cat. It’s my first triathlon finish since 2011 and possibly one of my best results.

Things could definitely have gone better but yeah… pretty happy with that. I definitely need to sort out my nutrition though.
Ewan

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby IanM » 14 Jun 2015 22:04

Eventful! Very well done, especially with plenty conspiring against you!
IanM

Postby Jack Hughes » 15 Jun 2015 08:40

Very well done. A good recovrery too. Lots of mind over matter there.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby CCS » 15 Jun 2015 09:50

Great work Ewan - you must be pretty pleased with that!
Good comeback to the world of triathlon - what's next?
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby md6 » 15 Jun 2015 15:36

Congratulations Ewan, that's a fantastic result and even more impressive effort getting over the set backs
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby jonathon.e » 15 Jun 2015 16:21

Top racing Ewan, well done. Great result.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 16 Jun 2015 07:42

Well done Ewan, great result, especially given you were feeling off for a lot if it.
Sir Jibbenstein

Postby Ewan » 16 Jun 2015 13:58

Thanks all :-)

Just so I have a place to refer to them, these are the photos I managed to find:

Swim exit:
http://www.charleswhittonphotography.co ... 0588#photo
http://www.charleswhittonphotography.co ... 0589#photo

T1 exit:
http://www.charleswhittonphotography.co ... 07007.html

Managing to smile for the camera on the run:
http://www.charleswhittonphotography.co ... 07850.html

Sequence of photos from the mad dash at the finish:
http://www.charleswhittonphotography.co ... html#photo

I wanted to see some bike photos, but couldn't find any of me. Also the bike photographer looks to have been stationed on a corner just after a junction so almost no one is down on the aero-bars.
Ewan

Postby Ewan » 21 Jun 2015 01:08

Disappointing ride at today's NRC 10 on the H10/17r. I wasn't really planning on doing this race but I got talked into throwing an entry in a couple of weeks ago, and today was too busy to fit my long ride in so I figured a 10mile TT was as good a way of hurting myself as any.

Before the start everyone was talking about fast times. The weather was nice, there was a slight wind, but it seemed to be blowing in a good direction, and there were forecasts of thunderstorms rolling through and supposedly nice low air pressure. All this talk of fast conditions, plus my power SB on Wednesday left me feeling pretty excited. I was also trying out my new Xav-approved wizard's-hat for the first time.

Immediately I set off I knew I felt tired and although I held 270w for a while my power began to drop away as I approached the drag up to the turn. Coming back into the headwind was even worse and I didn't really feel like I could get the power down until the last km or two. Final result: 23:46, AP = 257, NP = 259. Not great, but not too bad, and after 2 10s an HIM within a week I can forgive myself for being tired.

However the reason I'm posting is this... on the 27th May I rode 23:27 in windy and slow conditions (AP = 260, NP = 260). The fact that I went 20 seconds slower off near identical power on the same course is no big deal in itself, however, the thing that annoys me is that today was supposed to be the much faster day and almost everyone else who rode both events went substantially quicker.

Me: May: 23:27, AP = 260, NP = 260, June: 23:46, AP = 257, NP = 259
Paul Nicholls: May: 24:13, AP = 233, June: 22:56, AP = 240, NP = 243
Olly Gould: May: 24:25, June: 23:17
Pete Oliver: May: 22:04, June: 21:39 (having already ridden the course on a tandem)

A couple of people went slower (Simon Drewett, James Hunt) but by and large most people saw big gains.

So why was I so slow? I've changed my position slightly and got a new lid, but all of those changes were Xav approved and so I had doubly good reason to expect to be faster.

My position doesn't look too awful here, and this picture is moments after the turn so I hadn't yet tucked my head back down:
Gallery
May results
June results
humph...
Ewan

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs