Ewan's Training Log

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: Ewan's Training Log

Postby Jack Hughes » 08 Sep 2015 09:26

You'll drive yourself mad trying to race the whole thing to a power limit.

The strategy of putting a cap on the climbs is the good point of the plan. So ride the climbs to a power limit, then a different power limit for the flat bits, or just do that on feel, or limit for the first half.

But as Mum^WCCS said, do your PhD.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby IanM » 08 Sep 2015 10:26

Hah :) I think Father Jack's right there - 5-6 hours trying for an average power sounds like a recipe for tedium.

FWIW I ran the hilly 22.3 TT I did through BBS. It was relatively close - over estimated my time by 45s, although it obviously doesn't take into account the 60s of freewheeling I did stuck behind slow traffic coming down a hill, and then some more time lost at a junction, so might have been closer to 90s off what I _might_ have done on the day.

And going back to the estimates it's produced for you - did you ride the Austria IM bike leg with power? If not, do you think you're significantly stronger now than you were then?
IanM

Postby Ewan » 16 Nov 2015 16:14

I'm sure we used to have an E-number thread but I couldn't find it.

inspired by Jo and Jochta's posts about eddington numbers, I calculated my own for running and cycling.

Data only apply as far back as I have strava records and the numbers don't quite match my E-number on veloviewer because I couldn't be bothered to condense multiple rides on a single day into a 'daily value', but it was fun nevertheless. I suspect my running number is more 'impressive' than my cycling.

Ewan

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Ewan » 15 Mar 2016 19:51

Ewan

Postby IanM » 15 Mar 2016 20:53

Very changeable wind during the ride? Also, are you HotWing?
IanM

Postby Ewan » 15 Mar 2016 21:43

Yup, a bit windy, also one or two cars on the course and I forgot to disable GPS. This was just a pilot to see if I could detect any difference at all since all previous attempts have been a resounding failure. I was on the road bike in normal training gear etc. but the first flush of data look slightly more encouraging. I'll estimate CdA etc shortly but haven't had time yet.

What is HotWing? No idea what you mean.
Ewan

Postby IanM » 15 Mar 2016 21:56

Ewan wrote:Yup, a bit windy, also one or two cars on the course and I forgot to disable GPS. This was just a pilot to see if I could detect any difference at all since all previous attempts have been a resounding failure. I was on the road bike in normal training gear etc. but the first flush of data look slightly more encouraging. I'll estimate CdA etc shortly but haven't had time yet.

What is HotWing? No idea what you mean.

It's something I plan to try out soon. Found a potential stretch of road, just need to find the time. Good point on turning GPS off.

HotWing - Hell of the Worth-ing
IanM

Postby Ewan » 15 Mar 2016 22:33

I'll write up my protocol and any results, as and when I have them.

No, not HotWing :-( I'm gutted... It's my favourite ride of the year but Cecilia is signed up for a race on the same weekend so i'm committed to running the Sussex CTS half marathon instead :-(.
Ewan

Postby Big_Show » 15 Mar 2016 23:09

I'll have some hotwings please.
Big_Show

Postby IanM » 15 Mar 2016 23:20

Ewan wrote:I'll write up my protocol and any results, as and when I have them.

No, not HotWing :-( I'm gutted... It's my favourite ride of the year but Cecilia is signed up for a race on the same weekend so i'm committed to running the Sussex CTS half marathon instead :-(.

Ah, shame you won't be there, was looking forward to catching up. Hope you both have a good HM though.
IanM

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs