The long road to Ruin(ed ankles, knees whatever else breaks)

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

The long road to Ruin(ed ankles, knees whatever else breaks)

Postby md6 » 16 Jan 2015 21:08

Righto, after a pretty shitty year for even managing to start events last year i'm quite determined to be better this year. So i'm starting to do some training I've heard good things about it!

So, I'm meant to be doing London Marathon - depending on how my achillies holds up over the next few weeks. Then I have leeds castle tri in June, and the Gauntlet middle distance in September. So that's the goals and its a long road. 8 months, or broken! :lol:

Tuesday 13 Jan:
5k run, 23:03 - average pace 7:30/mile, mile splits were 7:26, 7:47: 7:26 and a bit!
Legs were jelly for the last 500m, I was very nearly sick in my mouth in the last 200m and I felt like shit for the rest of the day, shaky hands the works. I might have started off too fast, and hung on a little. the max HR that I saw on the run was 183, which is a tad high to say the least (my last tested max was 192 and that was 4 years ago...I think I was close to my max). Oh and my lungs spent the rest of the day trying to escape from my chest through my mouth

Thursday 15th Jan:
4 mile run: 30:45 - average pace 7'41/mile, mile splits (from what I remember, left the garmin at work) 8'00, 7'47, 7'35, 7'26.
Legs felt much better than Tuesday, no jelly, no pain, no issues at all. I paced it really quite well I thought, I was aiming to start at 8 min pace (bang on!!!!) then increase it every mile after that, I hadn't intended to pick up the pace much as I did but it felt ok and I didn't have any trouble. Quite pleased with that.

Friday 16th Jan:
Swim, 1,600m untimed but pretty slow, around 35 or 40 minutes including breaks.
So the pool is only 18m long, so I had to do 11 lengths per 200, my 'sets' if floundering round like a drowning elephant count as sets were: 200m, 400m, 200m, 600m, 200m felt ok, arms a touch tired now, but otherwise i'm surprised at how well my technique had held together.
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Re: The long road to Ruin(ed ankles, knees whatever else bre

Postby md6 » 20 Jan 2015 14:20

Tuesday 20th Jan:
Run 4.35 miles: 33'23 ave pace 7'42/mile AV HR 162,
My god it was cold out. But I wrapped up and off I went, started slowly to avoid blowing up, then gradually eased into it, aiming for 7'40 pace (or 7'35 if I felt ok) but the air was sold cold and caused my chest to feel it a little. Anyway, mile splits were:
7'52, 7'52, 7'40, 7'28 and the last .35 was at 7'29 pace. Nice and solid, consistent pacing picked up when I wanted to (just after half way) and then held the faster pace well, started to feel it a little towards the end of the 4th mile, and on from there, but then there was a small rise (southwark bridge) which was a little tough at that point. All in all, quite happy.
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby Big_Show » 21 Jan 2015 03:48

Good to see you back at it mate. Best of luck with the marathon, that's always a cracking weekend.
Big_Show

Postby md6 » 21 Jan 2015 10:01

Cheers fella, got a long way to go to get ready for it but hopefully I can make it!

So: Tuesday turned into my first double training day in god knows how long.
Swim: 1,600m took around 27 or 28mins, with 4x400m sets. Felt ok and reasonably consistent pace for the first 3, the 4th was slightly slower as I was tiring and felt the decent technique falling off about 100m into the final set, normally it was ok until the final 100m.
Then 20 mins in the steam room to make everything feel better, or just hot, sweaty and dehydrating... I drank near on 2l of water in the build up, during and after the gym so i'm not unhappy with that or too dehydrated.

Weight today 78.9kgs, started last wedensday at 79.3. Loss 400g
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby kfjatek » 21 Jan 2015 10:11

md6 wrote:Then I have leeds castle tri in June, and the Gauntlet middle distance in September.

Is it me or do I seem to remember you selling your able steed last year? Shopping spree planned, by any chance? ;-)

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby Big_Show » 21 Jan 2015 10:18

md6 wrote:Weight today 78.9kgs

Lightweight :x
Big_Show

Postby md6 » 21 Jan 2015 11:13

kfjatek wrote:
Is it me or do I seem to remember you selling your able steed last year? Shopping spree planned, by any chance? ;-)

:ugeek:

Nope, going to be done on the roadie. I 'might' (but probably wont) get some clip on tri bars, but otherwise i'm going to just get on the drops. I know its not ideal, but I don't have storage space for 2 bikes at home anymore.

Big_Show wrote: Lightweight :x

Yep, aiming to get down to around 75.5 by April then maintain that sort of level through to October.
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby md6 » 23 Jan 2015 14:36

well this hasn't been a great week since Tuesday's good training day

I haven't managed to get out for a run since then as work has been too busy (i'm not sure I like this working for a living thing!); got out for a swim today at lunchtime which was a little abortive. The pool was quite busy and so I ended up in the 'fast' lane (it wasn't, I was the fastest person in there), BUT, I had to start off at a faster pace than normal. My lack of a warm up came back to haunt me a little as after about 500m my shoulder and delt started to tighten up and become uncomfortable. After 650/700 I gave up and sat in the steam room. sigh. :(

And to top it off I have water stuck in my ear and I can't get it out... :cry:
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby md6 » 26 Jan 2015 12:16

Sat 24th: 10k Run. 50.17, av pace 8'08
This was the slowest 10k I've run in many years, and one of the more difficult, however the route is certainly not flat. The first mile is rolling with slightly more down than up, mile 2 is similar but certainly more up, mile 3 is almost all up by the feel of it. Mile 4 was mostly flat with a reasonable downhill, mile 5 is mostly downhill and then mile 6 was back along mile 1 but in the other direction, the last .2 is flat.
I started off aiming for 8min/miles but decided on the first bit up that would be going a little fast for the route, so backed off to 8'15, (hit 8'18) settled into the stride and the rolling 8'10, the 3rd mile was pretty much all uphill (from Sydenham into Crystal palace and up through the park...) 8'28, then I hit the turn and that was all downhill for nearly a mile (almost the same as mile 3 bu in reverse) 7'45 or so, then steadied the pace and made it home. Had to stop and stretch my calf at the end of the 3rd mile and changed the planned route to avoid further climbing as that was when the calf hurt/was tightest. It's a little sore today, and my ankle was a tough swollen this morning. I've had to defer my marathon place as I don't think that I could up my mileage again this week to keep on target. So 2 weeks in, and around 18 miles run and i'm having to back off...f**king achillies!

I'm a bit pissed off but I'm going to keep running once or twice a week but will try and avoid the hills, and keep the distance a little shorter for a while. :evil:
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby Tarka the Nutter » 26 Jan 2015 12:41

are you rehabbing your achilles properly? Stretching, physio, massage etc etc? They don't heal quickly as you know and if you're calves are constantly tight it won't help at all.
Global Domination award winner 2012
(basically because I've lost the plot!)
Tarka the Nutter

Next

Return to Training Logs