The long road to Ruin(ed ankles, knees whatever else breaks)

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: The long road to Ruin(ed ankles, knees whatever else bre

Postby Jack Hughes » 20 Jul 2015 21:37

Well done :D
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby md6 » 21 Jul 2015 08:33

cheers Jack.

so I managed to get on the watt bike for a solid half hour session last night.

Averaged 220 watts, which was passable, slightly lower than last time but a much more consistent level of effort than last time as I had started too hard and really faded last time. this time I held the effort well until the last few minutes where I started to fade. I weigh 80.5kgs so that was an average of 2.7watts/kg which is ok. But I want to get that up to nearer 4 watts/kg which will bring me to a much better place on the table towards the bottom of this page:
https://www.cyclinganalytics.com/blog/2012/06/watts-kg-on-the-power-curve

I put in one effort of about a minute and held about 620 watts for that, which is also not great (7.7w/kg) and needs to be improved

in short I am roughly a bottom end cat 4 level rider. this needs to be changed.

On the plus side. I have been injured lately (and still rehab work being done) so this isn't as bleak as it could be. I will see how quickly I come on over the next month or so.

i'm now going to start looking for a new turbo with power so that I can start to get some decent results - how much are those pedal based power meters...bugger this is going tog et expensive again
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby md6 » 21 Jul 2015 08:44

PS I also need to do a proper FTP test
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 21 Jul 2015 11:47

From £350 now for a pedal power meter : http://www.bepro-favero.com/en/
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby IanM » 21 Jul 2015 11:58

Various people advising against them as the adjust the Q factor which will impact efficiency and increase risk of injury. Will dig info out when in front of PC
IanM

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 21 Jul 2015 12:35

IanM wrote:Various people advising against them as the adjust the Q factor which will impact efficiency and increase risk of injury. Will dig info out when in front of PC

Did wonder about this, although they claim negligible impact, you can just adjust your cleats.

Stages have 20% off a lot of the cranks now too, so another cheapish option.
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Jack Hughes » 21 Jul 2015 13:25

Aren't people discounting the version 1 Garmin Vectors now?
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby IanM » 21 Jul 2015 13:30

Sir Jibbenstein wrote:
IanM wrote:Various people advising against them as the adjust the Q factor which will impact efficiency and increase risk of injury. Will dig info out when in front of PC

Did wonder about this, although they claim negligible impact, you can just adjust your cleats.

I was thinking of LIMITS PM, not Bepro - although looking at it, it should probably suffer from similar issues.

RE adjusting your cleat - surely that's increasing the risk of injury if you're offsetting the foot/pedal interface to something that's not naturally where you'd have it - you'd end up connecting with the outside of your foot, rather than the centre. Seems dangerous to me.

Seeing as you can get second hand PowerTap wheels for £200, that's what I'd advise for people looking for a cheap entrance to training with power.
IanM

Postby md6 » 22 Jul 2015 11:24

a 2nd power tap for the turbo might be a great way in - I was looking at a wahoo kickr and signing up for zwift but I haven't (yet) got any power in the shed, or a shed for that matter...but that will be ordered this week.

I might see about a 2nd hand powertap and will work on zwift - and I will save money on having to buy lots of shiny new things...might need a new bike computer (do they work with the edge 500?)
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby Jack Hughes » 22 Jul 2015 11:42

Something a thought about this quite early on, but haven't said, but given your aims of doing a long distance....

From what I can gather from your log, you are training at TOO HIGH AN INTENSITY all the time. Most of your sessions (well, running ones, bit less clear about the Run/Bike) are high or relatively high intensity. So the runs that you are doing should be no more than 20% of your total. i.e. stop doing it, and learn to run at a low intensity..... it will pay dividends for your resilience... especially if you can do them consistently.
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs