The long road to Ruin(ed ankles, knees whatever else breaks)

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: The long road to Ruin(ed ankles, knees whatever else bre

Postby md6 » 25 Feb 2015 10:33

Tuesday 24th Feb:
Spin: 95min, reasonable/hard effort.

I surprised myself a little with this one, after playing 5-a-side again on Monday and suffering during it I didn't hurt as much as expected but I really didn't fancy the spin class, and tried to find any reason not to do it...but finally decided to MTFU and get on with it.

Had a nice solid 40 mins before the clas started to warm up and get into it, easy start followed by increasing effort to a solid TT type effort for 5 mins, then just let the legs spin ast a steady effort for the remaining 10, did the class. Felt fine and lungs were good all the way through even during a long 95%+ effort (1min x3) at the end of the class, then I damn near fell off the bike and couldn't stand as I was a little bit dizzy. Fantastic! Recovered quickly and went home for dinner. annoyed with myself as I left the HRM in my desk at work as it would've been interesting to see what it showed -given how it felt, but I will just have to wait until next time
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby md6 » 27 Feb 2015 10:31

Thursday 26th: Run 4 miles
Well this is a strange one, I ran my normal 4 mile lunchtime route in the cold, pissing rain and loved every second of it, got back to the office in 29'20 or something (but forgot to stop the garmin just hitting lap by mistake). The garmin was a bit mental - the first 'mile' lap was short by about a quarter mile, giving me a 5'16 mile for an av HR of 130...nice! but not accurate. I think the garmin dislikes running in the rain more than I do! Anyway, targeted a steady 7'45/mile pace but have no real idea if I managed it, I am pretty sure that I was a little quicker and the last mile was about 7'15 pace but I don't really know for sure. anyway, when I get the garmin home to get the data out i'll see what it says but it was still reasonable and pretty much 7'30 pace average. I'm starting to get the judgement back again
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby CCS » 02 Mar 2015 10:41

Good effort!
My garmin doesn't seem to mind the rain, but is deeply afraid of dense tree cover (which it a most unhelpful thing around where we live!)
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby md6 » 02 Mar 2015 12:18

yeah mine seems ok in trees, but it goes mad when I run across the river on occasion - it seems to think i'm Jebus and can run along the middle of the river and back and all around in circles for some reason. Although in this case, it started me off about a 1/4mile away from where I started and then I ran through buildings to get where I ran...
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby Jack Hughes » 02 Mar 2015 13:55

md6 wrote:yeah mine seems ok in trees, but it goes mad when I run across the river on occasion - it seems to think i'm Jebus and can run along the middle of the river and back and all around in circles for some reason. Although in this case, it started me off about a 1/4mile away from where I started and then I ran through buildings to get where I ran...

My best recorded splits have been when running straight down the Thames.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby md6 » 02 Mar 2015 17:06

I blame MI6 or whoever it is with their building there, its got to have some special GSP confusing nonsense on the roof... that said, there is a good long straight stretch along the embankment which is marginally downhill for the whole way from Westminster bridge to Blackfriars, which is nice for stretching the legs
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby Kevy427 » 02 Mar 2015 21:07

md6 wrote:I blame MI6 or whoever it is with their building there, its got to have some special GSP confusing nonsense on the roof...

Which also works on the interweb
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby md6 » 03 Mar 2015 14:55

Oh yes, so it does. It must also work on people, I have never been so terribly confused in my life. One has never been anywhere near MI6, nor has one ever heard of them, it is unclear what must have been going on in one's mind to type that what! Jolly lucky that I am back to myself and will have less of this nonsense, well cheerio for now chaps and chappettes
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby md6 » 03 Mar 2015 15:00

Tuesday 3rd March: Swim 2km 35;30
So I got a nice new Garmin swim the other day (mainly as I had a 50% discount and they wouldn't let me use it on a 920!) and so I actually have something approaching 'data' for a swim for the first time ever. I took it reasonably steady as I CBA to do more than that.
Did 2x700m and then 600m but miscounted and was 24m short so only covered 1976m not 2k...
Anyway, 700m times were: 13'04; 13;00 and 9'27
SWOLF score 28
1'48/100m
and apparently I burned 417 calories.
Felt ok, technique started to get a bit ragged in the last few hundred and despite having a watch that would tell me how far I had swam I still managed to stop 2 lengths short... so clearly my mind was also a bit ragged :lol:

looking forward to seeing if and how much I improve over the next few months with some regular pool time! :shock:
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby md6 » 20 Mar 2015 09:45

So I've slipped a little on actual training lately, played 5-a-side the last 2 Mondays, which is all well and good but nothing else. On the plus side I've remembered what the round and rectangle things are for in 5-a-side and even managed to kick someone back. On the down side that's all I've done for two weeks...until yesterday!

Run 4.1 miles: 29'xx (I pressed the wrong button on my new garmin and didn't stop the timer...)
Lap times were a little inconsistent, well they consistently got slower, started at 7'08, then 7'17, then 7'25, then 7'33, and a bit at the end...I could probably work out my time if I could be arsed...

Anyway...the run started off great, felt very easy and smooth, I had new trainers (adidas adios boost) which are slightly lighter than my old (adidas adizero adios...see a partern with my shoe choices) although I can't say I noticed any difference with the 'boost' cushioning compared to the normal stuff other than the price and the fact they don't make the old ones anymore. Oh and the colours are terrible, I got 'midnight blue' which is actually purple, I much prefer my orange and lime green old ones...although I think that tells you something else about me too.

Oh and I saw Idris Elba filming something on southwark bridge as I ran across it.

Training effect was apparently 4.something, but I have no idea what that means.
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs