Bopo and the waddle to Windsor

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: Bopo and the waddle to Windsor

Postby Bopomofo » 21 May 2014 23:59

So, after having a cold settle firmly on my chest and doing no exercise last week, my attempts to get back to it last weekend with an OW swim and 40km bike ride have left me feeling totally useless.

I am still coughing up lumps and have very low energy. I cut the grass tonight and had to have a sit down half-way through.

My weight is also the same, although I feel like it is ballooning as I lose fitness.

I'm now back to considering a DNS at Windsor. It is going to be a pointless exercise: I'll only be disappointed, possibly/probably injure myself and, most importantly, I really don't want the world to see my man-boobs and pregnant-with-a-food-baby belly in a lycra leotard. I can't imagine anything worse.

I'm really not happy.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby CCS » 22 May 2014 08:52

Cheer up Bopo.
Chesty coughs are crap, and do take a while to shake off - but you know you enjoy Windsor?
The lycra leotard description has left me with a somewhat disturbing mental image though...
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby ris » 22 May 2014 09:39

Chin up baldy - do your best to separate the reality from the 'I feel'. You might believe that every missed session puts 5kg on but it really doesn't (and I believe that each hawked up phlegm ball is worth half a kg, so hack away).

Also - better to be on the way up from a cold than on the way down with one as you run up to race day.

As for how you look - if that was a genuine motivator then most if us wouldn't do the sport! Give yourself some credit for having the guts to take on the challenge. No one else racing is going to care how you look (too busy worrying about their own problems), and anyone watching - they're not worth caring about.

sent via the bopomatic
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby Bopomofo » 25 May 2014 14:31

Well, this week's 'training log' is easy to report:

There you go. Actually, there was one disastrous attempt to do something on the turbo yesterday. I managed the first half of A Very Dark Place, with TrainerRoad set at 80%, before I had to bail out in a sweaty, wheezing disillusioned mess.

No energy or motivation at all. I can't shake this cough and I'm having attacks of fever several times a day. Then there's the insomnia. And when I do sleep, more often than not I'm having really odd, dark and violent nightmares and waking up drenched in sweat.

So, the plan is to go out for a very gentle hour on the bike today, when I've finished the gardening. No training benefit and no particular purpose other than just to cheer myself up. :cry:
Bopomofo

Postby Jack Hughes » 25 May 2014 16:10

Dengue fever or Vampire attacks.

Try sleeping with bunches of garlic round your bed.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Bopomofo » 25 May 2014 20:39

I didn't realise garlic helped with Dengue Fever? I'll try it.

Anyway, my 'easy hour' went a bit wrong: it turned into three hours, and may have accidentally included South Downs Way, Winchester Hill (twice), Butser Hill via the nastiest incline around these parts and Beacon Hill. Slow but enjoyable, with a few Strava PBs for good measure.

Coughing a fair bit now, though, and VERY tired.
Bopomofo

Postby Bopomofo » 27 May 2014 14:56

Blimey! Just did my lunchtime TT circuit... very windy/blustery but the aero wheels felt OK.... did 23km at 31.3kph average. Better than I'd have thought. I think the cold is going and even the Burnishitis is improving slightly.
Bopomofo

Postby CCS » 27 May 2014 15:21

See - told you it will all be fine by Windsor! Glad to see things are back on a positive track.
It's just your TT bike telling you that it deserves to make the trip - you should listen to it!
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby Bopomofo » 28 May 2014 14:33

The Bendy Ben 'Latent Fitness' training plan is starting to pay dividends. Two weeks ago I managed a Jibby split-1500m swim in 27:27.

Today I did a steady 1500m in 26:56.

Two points:
1) Not bad at all. In fact, that'll do nicely for the time being.
2) I could go a lot faster. The slower split-1500 means I don't need the rests, which means I'm swimming easy.
Bopomofo

Postby Bendy Ben » 28 May 2014 15:04

1) loving that
2) that's a brilliant time
3) I should learn to swim properly

Ace work buddy. Well done
Bendy Ben

PreviousNext